Calling an AGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling an AGM

Our articles of Associate state that an AGM "shall" be called.

The new company managing us tell me none is required. My years in a Government legal role inform me that the use of the word "shall", (instead of will) makes this a legal requirement. Am I not correct?

It's only a civil issue. I'm not sure but the breach of contract may be between the company and its directors, rather than between the members and the company.

Assuming you can get 5% of voting rights on board, it is simpler to call an EGM than to worry about enforcing an AGM.

Comment

The rules for small companies were relaxed so that AGM is no longer mandatory but members backed by 5% or more can call for a meeting.

Leaseholders in larger blocks will get an annual meeting to receive the audited service charge account.

Comment

The company Articles override the Companies Act in this respect. The directors are in breach of contract if they fail to obey the articles.

Comment

When was your company incorporated?

Was it under 1985 Companies Act?

If so any provision of the articles that expressly requires the company to hold an AGM remains effective, see Companies Act 2006 (Commencement No. 3.......) Order 2007 and an AGM should still be held and remains a legal requirement.

See page 23;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...0072194_en.pdf

Comment

As your Articles state that an AGM is required, you are entitled to insist on one being called, that is your easiest option. You should simply remind the directors and Company Secretary (if you have one) of their duty to comply with the Articles.

The rule that small companies may not hold an AGM only applies if the Articles do not state otherwise.

The alternative is to seek an EGM under s303 Companies Act 2006 but that involves serving a notice by members holding 5% of the voting rights so it is much easier to simply request that the Company complies with its Articles.

Comment

Originally posted by D P Dance View Post

The new company managing us tell me none is required.
              Is this a managing agent?

If so are they also the Company Secretary?

If so they will have a Complaints Handling Procedure and if you are still not satisfied you will be able to use the redress scheme included.

Comment

Thank you everyone, most helpful.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                  by sgclacy
                  The statutory price assuming 85% relativity gives a result of £15,250 (Capitalization rate 6% - but that hardly matters, 5% for deferment rate - in line with Sportelli)

So you are down £5,000 - so as I suggested earlier everyone takes a haircut - now it would be £1650 each - it really...
                  09-08-2020, 22:58 PM
                • Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                  by divadee
                  We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
                  04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
                  by divadee
                  We have learnt a bitter hard lesson about this. We will be doing this through our solicitor. We just thought we could rely on the managing agents, as they are company secretary's for the freehold company but live and learn.

Hopefully it will all be over one day, us moved out and onwards...
                  09-08-2020, 20:16 PM
                  by divadee
                  S42 amount - 10,052
                  lease length- 64 years
                  property location - central south coast (where everyone is flocking too currently 😉)
                  property value with a long lease - approx £160,000
                  ground rent - £25 doubling every 25 years

Thank you for any help in advance....
                  09-08-2020, 20:13 PM
                • Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                  by Matt F
                  Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that...
                  09-08-2020, 17:48 PM
                • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                  by Anna1985
                  If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind....
                  09-08-2020, 19:31 PM
                • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                  by scot22
                  Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
                  I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
                  It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.
                  09-08-2020, 18:25 PM
                • Building with FH owning commercial units and flats
                  by Stacker
                  Hi
                  I have been reading through a lease for a property with a commercial shop on the ground floor and two flats above...the Flat leases pay ground rent but the service charge apportionment is unclear....it does not state a percentage and I cant see it is apportioned by area the only percentage...
                  09-08-2020, 17:16 PM
                • Reply to Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                  by scot22
                  The list is long because it is an onerous responsibility. My mantra was is everyone does a little no-one has to do a lot. Unfortunately everyone didn't.
                  Remember people will move and new owners have different attitude. My experience is limited to one block but also voluntary organisations....
                  09-08-2020, 12:50 PM
                • Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                  by stokey83
                  Hi,
                  1) We shall soon acquire the management function of our block (RTMC) and do not intend to appoint a managing agent. What are the simple tools available online for managing company accounts / service charges, contractors, maintenance/repairs, building docs, etc?
                  2) I am also interested...
                  07-08-2020, 15:48 PM
                Working...
                X