Flat I own is being "monitored" by security on estate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat I own is being "monitored" by security on estate.

I live and own a flat in London and I have been told by my management office that they will be"monitoring" my apartment because they think I'm letting it out as an airbnb. I'm not and have never although I did have an old listing online before I learned more about short-term rentals (a listing does not constitute a rental though). They have instructed the security company for the development to "monitor" my home. They work in the evenings, through the night and at weekends.

This is really distressing me, the only way the flat could be monitored for visitors is really by looking through the windows or knocking on the door every night. They also pretty much said that all visitors to my flat would be evicted if found (which includes friends and family). I own the flat! I am actually dreading evening time at home now. I've spoken with a solicitor and they have said that my mental health should not suffer because of this and that they could write a letter threatening a claim of harassment.

But what does everyone think? Is it really ok that they do this?

If you are living in the flat and not subletting I would tell them to monitor away to their hearts content, while also quoting the right to quiet enjoyment clause that is in your lease.

They can’t evict you or anybody else, but they can seek forfeiture of your lease if they find you in breach of the lease, and have it confirmed by tribunal and you do not remedy the breach. If you’re not breaching the lease then nothing to worry about.

Comment

Thanks for your response especially point 1.

I'm fully aware that they can't evict me! Of course that's the case as no breach of the lease has actually taken place. But my grievance is over them copying me in on an email instructing the security company to monitor my flat. Sure, it is easy to say "don't worry" but this makes me feel surveyed and watched and I already suffer from anxiety so as you can imagine it is elevating it.

Comment

Many freeholders and management companies would monitor properties if they suspected that the properties were not being used for a proper purpose. The only difference is that they would not tell you. Your management company is probably trying to say in an unsubtle manner “if you attempt to let out on an airbnb basis, we shall be aware”.

Monitoring can be achieved by watching people enter and leave the property through CCTV if that is available. Knocking on doors late at night and looking through windows would be unreasonable, so if you have any evidence of that you should keep a record and inform your solicitor.

Before asking your solicitor to send a letter, you should consider how the management company and the security company are going to react. They may step up the monitoring just to prove that they can. Claiming harassment or a breach of the lease and providing evidence would not be a simple matter and would most likely cause you considerable stress not least with the costs involved and whether or not you would be able to recover in full those costs.

I have every sympathy with you but finding a practical solution is not simple.

Comment

What does your lease say about subletting, sharing and parting with possession?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
            by divadee
            We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
            04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
          • Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
            by sgclacy
            The statutory price assuming 85% relativity gives a result of £15,250 (Capitalization rate 6% - but that hardly matters, 5% for deferment rate - in line with Sportelli)

So you are down £5,000 - so as I suggested earlier everyone takes a haircut - now it would be £1650 each - it really...
            09-08-2020, 22:58 PM
            by divadee
            We have learnt a bitter hard lesson about this. We will be doing this through our solicitor. We just thought we could rely on the managing agents, as they are company secretary's for the freehold company but live and learn.

Hopefully it will all be over one day, us moved out and onwards...
            09-08-2020, 20:16 PM
            by divadee
            S42 amount - 10,052
            lease length- 64 years
            property location - central south coast (where everyone is flocking too currently 😉)
            property value with a long lease - approx £160,000
            ground rent - £25 doubling every 25 years

Thank you for any help in advance....
            09-08-2020, 20:13 PM
          • Freeholder Roof Maintenance
            by Matt F
            Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that...
            09-08-2020, 17:48 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
            by Anna1985
            If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind....
            09-08-2020, 19:31 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
            by scot22
            Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
            I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
            It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.
            09-08-2020, 18:25 PM
          • Building with FH owning commercial units and flats
            by Stacker
            Hi
            I have been reading through a lease for a property with a commercial shop on the ground floor and two flats above...the Flat leases pay ground rent but the service charge apportionment is unclear....it does not state a percentage and I cant see it is apportioned by area the only percentage...
            09-08-2020, 17:16 PM
          • Reply to Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
            by scot22
            The list is long because it is an onerous responsibility. My mantra was is everyone does a little no-one has to do a lot. Unfortunately everyone didn't.
            Remember people will move and new owners have different attitude. My experience is limited to one block but also voluntary organisations....
            09-08-2020, 12:50 PM
          • Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
            by stokey83
            Hi,
            1) We shall soon acquire the management function of our block (RTMC) and do not intend to appoint a managing agent. What are the simple tools available online for managing company accounts / service charges, contractors, maintenance/repairs, building docs, etc?
            2) I am also interested...
            07-08-2020, 15:48 PM
          Working...
          X