X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon999
    replied
    Beverly,

What kind of breaches under the lease did you have in mind ?

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    You will not be able to enforce covenants which have only been made with the freeholder. You will not be able to do anything based on section 146.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    The 2 major obligations under the lease are (1) paying the annual ground rent ( 2) paying 50% of the service charge ( maintenance costs + insuring the building ).

After both of you have purchased the freehold title, you would extend the lease to 999 years at peppercorn ground rent which removes the obligation for annual ground rent payment in item 1.

The contribution to 50% of the service charge may be a problem if one of the 2 leaseholder refuses to pay.

Leave a comment:

• Beverly
    started a topic Enforcing lease against co-freeholder

Enforcing lease against co-freeholder

Hello

I'm about to purchase the freehold with my neighbour.

I was wondering if we would still be able to enforce lease covenants when we are both freeholders as well as leaseholders?

Does anyone know what our rights would be if it came to enforcing the lease on one of us? I don't know how it would work because wouldn't we both have to agree to enforce the lease?

Many thanks in advance.

Beverly

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
    by batterseaboy
    Hi, we are a house divided into three flats. Each flat leasheolder also owns 1/3 of the freehold company and serves as a director.

When the top floor flat was given permission to extend his flat the variation stipulated that he would be solely responsible for any issues with the extension...
    23-09-2020, 16:43 PM
  • Reply to Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
    by scot22
    It would only need a majority. Doesn't need to be unanimous unless specified in Articles. We use model and no problem.
    Presumably he already knows you believe he is in breach so no reason I can see to be secretive.
    24-09-2020, 15:25 PM
  • Reply to Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
    by batterseaboy
    We had thought that was the way forward - however how can the company, of which he is a director, notify him without him agreeing to it or knowing about it in advance?...
    24-09-2020, 15:02 PM
  • Enfranchisement of Head Lease?
    by Bengt Lagander
    I am considering purchasing a 1st floor flat which is a Victorian conversion into two flat.

The landlord on Land Registry is a Ltd Co but there is a Head Lease in 2005 for 150 years with another Ltd Co. The long lease I am buying was created in 2015 for 150 years and includes the loft...
    24-09-2020, 14:33 PM
  • Reply to Extending a lease as a co freeholder. Leases are of different lengths
    by MrSoffit
    Hi, unless I'm missing something, you either hold the freehold jointly as trustees or as a company? If trustees, the relationship between the trustees as 'joint' freeholder (yeah I know) for granting extensions should be in a participation agreement. If a company, the company would react, no?
    24-09-2020, 13:15 PM
  • Extending a lease as a co freeholder. Leases are of different lengths
    by Deneb
    Hi there,

Would be very grateful for any advice if anyone has come across this before....

I own a ground floor flat in Leeds with a share of the freehold (I bought about 5 years ago). The lease has 85 years to run.
    The co freeholder (who bought in 2002) has the upstairs...
    28-01-2020, 21:13 PM
  • Reply to Extending a lease as a co freeholder. Leases are of different lengths
    by andybenw
    Unless the other leaseholder/freeholder can produce some paperwork (participation agreement?) to prove otherwise, I think a payment probably is due. The other leaseholder bought a very short lease and, you bought a rather longer lease, caveat emptor. Of course 50 percent of any payment would go back...
    24-09-2020, 12:40 PM
  • Reply to Tracing Freeholder
    by cjramona
    sadly not no. She’s freeholder in name only really. We insure and maintain the property ourselves. I’ve now tasked a company to try and trace her - she may have passed away I guess as she bought the fteehold in 1986. I renewed the lease in 2010 so it’s fine until 2155!...
    24-09-2020, 08:18 AM
  • Tracing Freeholder
    by cjramona
    Hi, I am new to the forum and sorry for jumping in but cannot find an answer that helps through the search function. I accepted an offer on my leasehold flat 2 months ago and I thought was close to exchange but the buyers solicitors are asking for my freeholder details. I renewed the lease in 2010...
    22-09-2020, 13:06 PM
  • Reply to S168
    by sgclacy
    When you make the application under Section 168 (4) the Tribunal will request that you notify any mortgagee who has an interest in the flat to which you are taking action against.

Needless to say the mortgagee will take the matter very seriously indeed and will appoint solicitors to protect...
    24-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Working...
X