Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    To clarify:

Are you saying that the sign in question was in position before the first lease was sold?
    So one thing I am not sure about the life of a lease. The date on the copy of the lease I have in my possession is dated Nov 2011. This is between the developer and the person that I bought the property from. I have never seen a copy of the lease that covered the my purchase which would be between the previous owner and I. I have always assumed that the names never changed it is just that fact that you have it in your possession and the completed TR1 form means you own the property. Am I right in this assumption?

So we know that planing was granted around 2008/2009 and there is a version of street view in Mar 2009 where the property is going through the conversion and you can see it from the pictures. Neither sign is present. By the end of the year or early 2010 we believe the sign was errected.

Was the sign erected by someone who no longer has an interest in the property in any way?
    So the sign was erected by the developer. Once the property was converted from a hotel to holiday apartments then we believe the sign was purchased. The developer then sold all the apartments to a group of three investors (who is one of the people who are on the name of my lease) The three investors then ran the development predominantly for holiday lets for 4 - 5 years. They then tried to sell the property as a going concern and when they were unable to they then sold each apartment of separately. Each apartment had to stay with the lettings business for 12 months and then after the last of the three investors sold their apartments the holiday letting business was sold/transferred to one of the new owners. This owner then maintains the sign and it is his business details on the sign.

So one of the owners has been in contact with the developer to get him to write a letter to state that the clause which states no advertising was not intended for the main signs.

Does the lease say (a) no advertising (b) no signs or (c) both?
    Both, it says no signs or notices or advertising outside of the apartment.

If the sign is an advert what exactly does it advertise? The flats generally? An agent who deals with most of the flats? Something else?
    So the sign says the following (real details not used)

Acme House Holiday Apartments

"Winter lets available at a reduced rate"

The telephone number of the Holiday Lettings Business that represents 6 of the 10 apartments

The website address for the above business

An AA sign and three pictures of various features of the development.

Comment

If the sign was put up by the original landlord then it belongs to the current landlord as it is part of the property (in fact it probably is anyway). No tenant can object to it (a) if it was there before the leases were granted simply, because it was there before the leases were granted (b) if it was erected later, because the tenants at the time agreed either expressly or impliedly by failing to object.

It is accordingly a matter for the tenants to resolve wearing their landlords' hats. They need to have a meeting and vote on what to do.

If I was chairing the meeting as an independent I would ask:

· Does the sign prejudice those who object to it?
      · If the advertising parts of the sign were removed would those who do not object to it lose business?

The question really is: How much of the letting arises from passing trade?

Is there a compromise?

Comment

It is unclear from your posts how much involvement the management company has at the present time. You also say that you are a director of the management company and refer to an AGM which implies that it remains active.

Who has appointed the managing agent? It ought to be the management company and the managing agent ought to accept instructions from the directors of the management company.

The simplest option would be to call an Extraordinary General Meeting of members and raise the matter on the agenda for all members to decide.

If you are acting within the terms of the lease and setting the regulations for the smooth running of the property, there would be no need to change the wording of the lease.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dealing with damp
          scot22
          It is a 19th century building converted into 10 leasehold flats. Three of the flats wish to tank their walls to deal with damp issues. My research is that this could cause more problems in other parts of the building. Are they allowed to do this without permission ?
          04-02-2018, 12:59 PM
        • Reply to Dealing with damp
          Gordon999
          Does the 19th Century building have 9in solid brick walls or 11in brick walls with 2in cavity ?

Cellar tanking or basement tanking refers to the application of a liquid waterproof coating (tanking slurry) to the walls and floor of a cellar. It is used to treat damp walls by preventing water...
          25-05-2019, 22:34 PM
          scot22
          Thanks for prompt and helpful advice. This has been recommended by a surveyor and freeloader to pay. Don't ask me why but they object to this !
          25-05-2019, 13:35 PM
        • Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
          Petesam73
          Hi,

I’m the freeholder of a block of flats, and we’ve just agreed (myself and the leaseholders) a change to the service charge percentages. I understand that a Deed of Variation is the best way to enact this given that nothing else is changing. I also understand that a simple amendment...
          25-05-2019, 10:56 AM
        • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
          Petesam73
          The percentages were set ages ago (late 1990s) and there are no records of what led to that choice (the flats are roughly equal sizes (in sq ft) though the service charge split isn’t). The only clue is that the one currently paying more occupies two floors including the roof space, so maybe someone...
          25-05-2019, 13:25 PM
          bluebonnie
          A 19th century building should probably have lime mortar - which would enable dampness to evaporate rather than penetrate the walls. It's a mistake to replace lime mortar with cement mortar. The freeholder is probably responsible for that mistake.

Get a surveyor or a structural engineer...
          25-05-2019, 12:52 PM
          scot22
          Sorry to revive thread. Flats on first and second floor. They want Freeholder to pay , not take on responsibility themselves. Freeholder lease obligation is to repair and maintain. Cement mortar pointing in good condition. Is there anything RMC should do ?
          25-05-2019, 11:57 AM
        • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
          Lawcruncher
          You can certainly do this without a lawyer. However, like many things, it is easy when you know how and there is always scope for getting it round your neck. Have a go at drawing up something and post it here. At the same time post the exact wording, including numbering, of the clause which sets out...
          25-05-2019, 11:23 AM
        • Solicitors advised me to buy freehold and leasehold, now unable to extend own lease
          eshroom
          I bought a flat with a defective lease (missing pages, short lease, wrong plan etc.). I advised solicitor that freeholder was open to selling the freehold (with other leaseholder not interested in buying a share).

Solicitor advised I should not complete on leasehold without completing on...
          24-05-2019, 12:24 PM
        • Reply to Solicitors advised me to buy freehold and leasehold, now unable to extend own lease
          Lawcruncher
          Not quite sure what you mean by reversionary lease here as it means a lease which takes effect at a future date, which clearly cannot be the case.

I note what you say about wanting to get your money back, but consider the following:

The expense of getting a new lease drawn...
          25-05-2019, 10:29 AM
        Working...
        X