Is Undertenant Liable for Superior Landlord's Consent Fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Undertenant Liable for Superior Landlord's Consent Fees?

We are 'Undertenant' for an Underlease. .

Leaseholder / Lessor is 'Tenant', who is our 'Immediate Landlord'.

And there is a 'Superior Landlord' who is the freehold owner.

During our negotiations with Immediate Landlords regarding obtaining Sublease, it was agreed between us that each party will bear its own costs and we will not bear Superior Landlord's cost of consent to be given to us. Our Immediate Landlord will bear that cost of obtaining the consent for us, as per the Headlease terms which say that Tenant is liable for all Landlord cost for variations to the lease.

After the Underlease was executed and delivered, our Immediate Landlord asked us to pay Superior Landlord's legal and surveyors fees for License to grant us Underlease.

When we questioned that this was not agreed in negotiations, they said that all previous terms agreed or understandings in negotiations were null and void, and final Underlease terms are the only agreement between us and pursuant to 14.1(e) and 14.2 of the Underlease linked here: [goo.gl/a2Mbk7], we were responsible for costs of ...any consent or approval applied for under this lease...

We have objected that to us this interprets as any costs of future consents etc. after the execution and delivery of the Underlease and not before, but the our Immediate Landlord is adamant that we must pay the £2,000+vat it has had to bear in obtaining license to sublet for us.

My question is:
    1. From what I have attached, is our immediate landlord correct?
    2. Are we liable to pay for license to underlet, even though we never agreed anywhere that we will do so?
    3. Do the 14.1(e) and 14.2 of the attached from the Underlease apply to events after the grant of sublease to us or do it include the time period before the grant?

Usually complex lease negotiations are handled by a solicitor who should be able to advise you if costs are payable or not.

The building has a headlease between Lessor ( freeholder ) and Lessee ( headlessee ) . How many years term under the headlease and what was starting date ? This property title is registered at Land Registry ? Is the headlease for "land only" or for " Land + building "

Your leasehold flat has a "underlease" between the Lessor (headlessee ) and the lessee ( You ). How many years term does "underlease" give and what was the starting date ? This property title was registered at Land Registry to transfer previous name to under your name as the title holder ? What was your starting date ?

You have negotiated a new "sublease" to replace the "underlease" ? What is the length of the sublease extend beyond ? Is the sublease specifically for subletting ?

Paying £2K for licence fee to sublet seems totally excessive . Is your flat in an over 60s retirement estate ?

Are the "freeholder" and "Headlessee" companies related and using the same registered address ?

Comment

The answer to all three questions is "no".

Your interpretation of the lease is correct. The costs of the licence to grant the underlease are not costs arising for a consent under the underlease - they arise under the headlease. Since you have not otherwise agreed to pay the costs there is no obligation to pay them.

It is generally the case that in intrepreting any final document the negotiations should not be brought into evidence. However, the negotiations become relevant if, rather than the problem being one of interpretation, the document fails correctly to record what the parties understood to have been agreed immediately before the document was completed. Even if the costs were covered by clause 14.1 you would have a strong case for arguing that the underlease should be rectified to exclude them. However, the point is somewhat academic as the underlease does not in fact require you to pay them.

Comment

Lawcruncher,

Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate your sincerity.

Many thanks and a happy new year to you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Variation of lease
          by sgclacy
          A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
          13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
        • Variation of lease
          by scampicat
          I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
          25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
        • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
          by Loque
          999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
          12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
        • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
          by sgclacy
          Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
          13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
        • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
          by chris1544
          We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
          12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
        • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
          by Gordon999
          Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
          12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
        • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
          by Lorimer
          There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
          12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
        • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
          by Stew
          sounds like a major win
          12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
        • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
          by KingstonBee
          Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
          10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
        • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
          by ChrisDennison
          Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
          12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
        Working...
        X