Sudden additional bill for service charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.2. Under part 1 of Schedule 3, clearly states that "The tenant will pay the Interim Buildings Charge [the term use for estimated service charges] by equal quarterly payments in advance"

This would mean that, although the managing agents seem to be correct to demand payment by Jan 1st, they can only require a quarter of the estimated total to be paid by that date.

Comment

More than 8 years ago, I had a flat in a block where the managing agent issued demands for payment of half year service charge in advance. During last quarter of year 2, we would get a copy of the audited service account showing the account was overspent and the estimated budget had been underestimated. . During the 1st quarter of year 3 , we would get a bill for £200-£300 to cover the underpayment in year 1.

Comment

Ignore my above post (#16), I didn't check through the earlier posts properly and was confusing this thread with another recent one.

Comment

The MA appears to have acted unreasonably, it should have prepared a budget and issued demands in a timely manner.

I think that there is a valid argument that the MA has retained the previous year’s budget and that he is obliged now to charge all contributions for the entire year on that basis and there does not appear to be any authority for him to amend previous demands.

It is worth noting though that your share of the actual expenditure will need to be paid at some stage.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
            and there does not appear to be any authority for him to amend previous demands
            The possibility of the budget being late and authority to backdate any increased payments once it is prepared are contained in the document provided by the OP:

2 If and whenever the Building Charge Estimate shall not be prepared and a copy thereof supplied to the Tenant as required by paragraph 2.1 of this Part of this Schedule then pending the preparation of the Building Charge Estimate the Interim Building Charge shall be a sum equal to the Building Service Rent for the immediately preceding Accounting Period provided that if the Building Charge Estimate is subsequently prepared and a copy thereof supplied after the commencement of the relevant Accounting Period the Tenant shall forthwith pay to the Landlord such further additional sum or sums which would have been so payable had the Interim Building Charge have been prepared and a copy thereof supplied as required by the said paragraph 2(A).

Comment

There can be very little excuse for an MA failing to supply a budget at the beginning of the service charge year and to produce one 3 months after the start of the year is unreasonable. In this case, the MA has offered no explanation; at the very least, it should have sent out a covering letter and offered some assistance to leaseholders rather than expect them to pay additional sums at this time of the year due to what appears to be the MA’s failings.

Comment

There can be very little excuse for an MA failing to supply a budget at the beginning of the service charge year and to produce one 3 months after the start of the year is unreasonable.
                I have recently received an estimated budget for the current service charge year, along with the service charge account summary for last year.
                The invoice for the second half yearly advanced payment was also included, with everything posted out just before Christmas and less than two weeks before we were six months into the service charge year.

Managing agents should be able to get budgets and invoices sent out well before they are due, but unfortunately not all can manage this.

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post
                  I have recently received an estimated budget for the current service charge year, along with the service charge account summary for last year.
                  The invoice for the second half yearly advanced payment was also included, with everything posted out just before Christmas and less than two weeks before we were six months into the service charge year.

Managing agents should be able to get budgets and invoices sent out well before they are due, but unfortunately not all can manage this.
                  An MA should be able to produce a budget in a timely manner and he should be held to account if he fails to carry out his duties properly. In the exceptional circumstances where there is unavoidable delay, he should offer an explanation to the leaseholders. Too many MAs neglect the opportunity to create the goodwill which would be generated with good communication.

Comment

I do not consider that it is reasonable to allow the MA to supply an estimate at any time he chooses or to allow the MA to amend the estimate as many times as he wishes during the course of the year. The lease only provides for increases in the estimated charges and it is silent regarding any amounts overcharged. The unfair contract terms appear to apply.

Comment

An MA should be able to produce a budget in a timely manner and he should be held to account if he fails to carry out his duties properly.
                      I completely agree.

In my case I consider my managing agents performance to be well below a reasonable standard.
                      I will find out to what degree the FTT agree with me sometime later this year.
                      My MA's can't even manage to include the correct paperwork with their demands - despite the fact that I've told them that their version of the 'rights and obligations' is out of date.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Variation of lease
                        by scampicat
                        I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
                        25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
                      • Reply to Variation of lease
                        by sgclacy
                        A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
                        13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
                      • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                        by Loque
                        999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
                        12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
                      • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                        by sgclacy
                        Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
                        13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
                      • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                        by chris1544
                        We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
                        12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
                      • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                        by Gordon999
                        Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
                        12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
                      • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                        by Lorimer
                        There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
                        12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
                      • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                        by Stew
                        sounds like a major win
                        12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
                      • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                        by KingstonBee
                        Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
                        10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
                      • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
                        by ChrisDennison
                        Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
                        12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
                      Working...
                      X