Sudden additional bill for service charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden additional bill for service charge?

I'm the landlord of a leasehold property, and my management company has suddenly sent me a retrospective additional charge for two service periods.
    I pay once every three months and have paid for Oct-Dec and very recently paid for Jan-Mar - yet the bill is for an additional £30 for each of these two periods.
    There is no explanation on the bill, just the dates above and the additional amount. The usual service charge terms/legal bit is included on the back (as I understand it this is a legal requirement to make the bill enforceable) - but still, it's a massive surprise. There's also a statement of account showing an increase in the service charge for the year starting end of September, but am I unreasonable for expecting notice of an increase and an explanation before being slapped with a bill for periods I've already paid for under the 'old' charge? The last communication I had about the service charge amount was earlier this year and basically said that as the accounts hadn't been agreed it'd stay the same for now. It's obviously now been amended and increased but am I meant to receive notice?! And surely I can't be expected to pay more for periods I've already paid for?!

This may be in the wrong forum, not sure how to move to the leasehold one.

Comment

You are a tenant, not a landlord, in this case. You may have sub-tenants, but that is not relevant here.

One would need to see the terms of the lease to know whether this was possible, assuming that this isn't correcting a mistake.

It would be unusual, I suspect, for a lease not to have a provision to make immediate additional service charge demands if they run out of money, but backdating it seems stranger. Although significant, £120 is not a huge amount, given the hassle of fighting it. It is probably better to see what the end of year situation is, as if the charge was valid, other than not being able to make it retrospectively, they will have to increase the next year's budget to make good.

It sounds like things are not being handled well, but they have hinted that the figure might be revised.

Is the management company owned by the leaseholders, and are they self managing? If so, I would suggest you accept the increase and volunteer to become an (unpaid) director of the company, to run it better in subsequent years, as, in this sort of company, failing to get the budget out in time, and improvising to correct the situation tend to be the result of not having volunteers with appropriate skills.

Comment

It is the wrong forum. I think you will have to contact a moderator. They use he ids Moderator1 and Moderator2.

Comment

Yes fair enough I am a tenant. The lease is owned by a separate company. I'll check my paperwork - good shout, should have thought of that.
          I would have expected a letter saying 'we're having to increase the service charge' and I would have expected an increase from the next period, not the last two! It's odd.

Comment

I would have expected them to communicate, as well.

If there is no sinking/reserve fund they may be in a position where they will run out of money. Most leases don't allow borrowing against future service charges.

Comment

Not wishing to criticise your understanding of service charges, but service charges for the next years expenditure are normally estimates, but of course you can't start work till the money comes in.
              I have to do this. I estimate the costs for the next financial year, itemised of course, but by the time you get final estimates, and the work starts, raw materials can go up, or you find that once the work starts, there is a bit more to be done ( small ) then at the end of the year, a reconciliation statement is done, stating if the jobs cost more or less.

If it cost more, you are asked to pay the extra, which you have been asked to pay.
              Buildings insurance may have gone up ( it can't stay stagnent forever ) , many insurance claims may have been put, finalised, and the premium goes up.

But as you say, the reason for the excess £ 30 should be itemised, and it was not.

Service charges to maintain the place are not constant, just like your car repairs, are not contsant prices.

Comment

Yes agree with above. Service charges can only be an estimate until the final accounts are in, then it is usual to adjust them to ensure there is no shortfall.

Comment

Extra,
                  Our block insurance company wont give us the price to renew the policy until 2 weeks prior to renewal, and the estimate has been put forward and paid in advance by the leaseholders.
                  I get told off by some leaseholders not to inflate the insurance in case it increases, so they are faced with an extra bill, which they don't like.
                  Better to get some money back at the end of the year, than have to force leaseholders to pay the extra.

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Comment

I suggest that you contact the management company and ask them to explain the additional charge and why theyappear to have backdated a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by stephyp View Post
                      Yes fair enough I am a tenant. The lease is owned by a separate company. I'll check my paperwork - good shout, should have thought of that.
                      I would have expected a letter saying 'we're having to increase the service charge' and I would have expected an increase from the next period, not the last two! It's odd.
                      No , I think you are the title holder of a leasehold property . This means you are the owner of the lease and you are the leaseholder.

The party which is holder of the freehold title is the legal owner of the building and all land up to the boundary. .

The Lease agreement is covered by the Landlord and Tenant Act where "Landlord" means the current freeholder and "Tenant" means the leaseholder .

Its a very confusing for the residents because the successive appointed Housing Ministers do not stay long enough to learn their job.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                        Its a very confusing for the residents because the successive appointed Housing Ministers do not stay long enough to learn their job.
                        I think you will find that Sir Humphrey controls the minister much more than the politicians would like to admit. The country is run by civil servants who do provide a level of continuity. If anything, it is the committee stage where parliament really controls the details of legislation.

(Also, UK legislation is not as home grown as the leavers would want one to believe. It adapts ideas originated elsewhere, such that most Western countries end up with similar laws, without the EU having to put an oar in.)

Comment

Normally, you should be sent a copy of the budget for the current year with an explanation that your share is x % payable quarterly (in your case). If you have not received it, ask the management company to provide a copy. It looks like the management company did not finalise the budget until late.

Comment

Back after Christmas, thanks for the replies.
                            Yes I am aware the service charge is an estimate.
                            I was told earlier this year that as the budget hadn't been done, the charge would remain the same. I've then been sent this back-dated charge plus a copy of the new estimate (showing an increase) BUT there's not even a courtesy letter with the demand for payment. It just doesn't sit right. These are my terms. Have they done anything wrong?
                            Attached Files

Comment

It looks to me that they have followed the procedures on the first page correctly.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Variation of lease
                                by sgclacy
                                A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
                                13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
                              • Variation of lease
                                by scampicat
                                I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
                                25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
                              • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                                by sgclacy
                                Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
                                13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
                              • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                                by Loque
                                999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
                                12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
                              • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                                by Gordon999
                                Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
                                12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
                              • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                                by chris1544
                                We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
                                12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
                              • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                                by Lorimer
                                There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
                                12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
                              • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                                by KingstonBee
                                Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
                                10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
                              • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                                by Stew
                                sounds like a major win
                                12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
                              • Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
                                by Boab
                                Is there any reason why I cannot let a freehold flat on a two flat maisonette where there are two freeholders with a deed of covenant between the two to cover such issues as maintaining the property? There appears to be nothing in the covenant restricting renting my property out and it’s been done...
                                10-08-2020, 06:12 AM
                              Working...
                              X