Reasonable Costs associated with RTM Claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macromia and Gordon999. I really appreciate your help with this. It continues.

Having withdrawn the original notice and served a new one with the changes made (even though the consensus on this forum appears to be that they were not needed), the management company have gone straight back to the solicitors who are now demanding I supply them with proof that the changes have been made, also proof that the invitation to join the company was presented properly to the third flat (I've got the registered letter receipt and a copy of the letter). I can't see any reason for this other than that they've deliberately held it back in order to delay further (otherwise it's another strike against their competence).

I now envisage them trying to charge again for their services. I'm in a bit of a quandary what to do next. They haven't actually issued a counter notice, so I'm wondering whether to: 1. Sit tight hoping the notice's one month deadline passes without a counter notice, but ready to go to tribunal if one appears. 2. Tell them to do it themselves. 3. Provide the information they request and demand an end to it. 4. Invoice them for 3 (as far as I can see, I may be obliged to provide that information, but I can't see anywhere I have to provide it for free.)

Any feelings on this? At the moment I feel like I'm being driven into a corner.

Comment

It's a bit strange that having sent a new notice of claim with the changes made that they are now asking for proof that the changes have been made. Surely the notice of claim is itself the proof?

Maybe they want to see the register of members for the company to see if the other flat has been correctly recorded as a member. I would just supply the information they've asked for.

It's annoying but I suggest that the focus now should be on getting the claim through without further challenge and if this is all they need to satisfy themselves that it's a valid claim then it may be worth doing.

Also I assume that the bill you've already received was for their work in dealing with the claim that was withdrawn? In which case I think that you will receive another bill for their handing of the new notice of claim.

Comment

Cheers, Chris1544, that's the direction I'm leaning. I just worry they'll then come back with something equally trivial they've been saving. And I do strongly object to the fact that I'm getting a huge bill from them for interfering in what should be a straightforward changeover, and at the same time, I have to do all the work.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. For small properties there is definitely more work involved on the side of the leaseholder in preparing the various notices etc then there is for the landlord's solicitors.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post but with regard to charging the solicitors for the information, you could do that but you should bear in mind that you will be paying the landlord's reasonable costs in dealing with the claim.

Therefore what is likely to happen is whatever you charge will be charged back to you in the bill you receive, possibly with admin fees added on top for making the payment.

Comment

Good point, Chris - though as a normal human being I'd argue that wasn't reasonable. But we're not dealing with normal human beings. Mind you, if they paid it and I had to pay it back, there'd be no net loss to me, but at least they'd suffer the delay and some of the annoyance I have to go through jumping through pointless hoops.

Comment

Grendel, apologies for not replying sooner. Unfortunately the details of our FTT judgement are not yet publicly available.

Regarding my specific case, the freeholder has now applied to the Tribunal for determination of costs seeking total costs of ~£1,900. We counter offered ~£1,400 to which they've given us 1 week to accept the sum of £1,600. Again, any thoughts/advice on whether there is merit in pursuing this further would be gratefully received.

Comment

It's so frustrating that this FH could use the argument that the claim does not identify the premises when his company are responsible for the Appeals Court decision which led to RTM not being applicable for multi block claims in the first place. If that hadn't happened we could simply use the definition in the lease, which defines the estate, not each individual block.It's HIS legal teams which have created this issue; RTM claims are just trying to adhere to the fallout from that decision.

It's the legal equivalent of driving into someone then suing them for denting your bodywork.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• FTT - Legal representation needed?
                  by Scaramanga
                  Hi all,

I am about to bring my application for appointment of a manager to the FTT. I think it is a fairly straightforward case: I have a full defects report to prove my grounds and of the other three parties in the house, two are already agreed on appointing a manager. I would have thought,...
                  01-10-2020, 18:26 PM
                • Reply to FTT - Legal representation needed?
                  by Scaramanga
                  Sorry Andrew, I cannot quite understand your last sentence. Do you mean it still exists but they are flooded with work and therefore don't answer enquiries?

Thanks for your information - as always. I will have to clue myself up with regards to the draft order as I wasn't aware at all to...
                  01-10-2020, 19:35 PM
                • Reply to FTT - Legal representation needed?
                  by AndrewDod
                  Easy to do it yourself. And the draft order requires no legal training. And there are plenty of cases without legal involvement (the majority in fact)

Choose the manager very very carefully though - a lot of research is needed and contact other properties they are managing. There are a...
                  01-10-2020, 19:22 PM
                • Managing Agent's surveyor and EWS
                  by parklands
                  Some recent correspondence from our Managing Agents has raised some questions:
                  Our Managing Agent has its own surveyor. Can we use another surveyor of our choosing?
                  We have been advised, by the Managing Agent, that we need an EWS inspection despite the block being under 80 metres and having...
                  01-10-2020, 07:19 AM
                • Reply to Managing Agent's surveyor and EWS
                  by AndrewDod
                  Who or what employs the managing agent?
                  01-10-2020, 19:15 PM
                • Reply to Do I need consent from my Freeholder to make alterations
                  by Amm
                  Hi, i have a similar issue, except I've owned my flat for 8 years and the previous alterations were done approx. 20 years ago - not sure who but freeholder must've known and since then there were 2 other buyers, and when I purchased the flat it was sold as a 2 bed which the freeholder and his managing...
                  01-10-2020, 17:26 PM
                • Do I need consent from my Freeholder to make alterations
                  by SKennedy
                  I've recently purchased a 1970 maisonette and want to get on with some renovations including the removal of a non-load bearing stud wall (verified) between the kitchen and the living room. I have asked my Freeholder to clarify if I require consent to alter given the following clauses in my lease: (this...
                  28-09-2020, 15:56 PM
                • The Council has lost the plans
                  by Sandy1986
                  I am sorry to be asking so many questions at the moment. I always look and one day somebody is going to ask a question that I know the answer to and can help. That day is not today

I am trying to find the original planning consent for our blocks of flats. The Council has one partial...
                  01-10-2020, 15:29 PM
                • Enforcing things not in the lease.
                  by Sandy1986
                  I own my flat and have lived here for 21 years. There is nothing regarding pets in the lease whatsoever and before we purchased our flat we checked with the builder that pets were allowed and they were. The builder is long dead and it was a verbal conversation. Dogs and cats have come and gone over...
                  29-09-2020, 19:02 PM
                • Reply to Enforcing things not in the lease.
                  by Sandy1986
                  Thank you. Its all so confusing when you don't understand who can do what.
                  01-10-2020, 15:26 PM
                Working...
                X