Reasonable Costs associated with RTM Claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macromia and Gordon999. I really appreciate your help with this. It continues.

Having withdrawn the original notice and served a new one with the changes made (even though the consensus on this forum appears to be that they were not needed), the management company have gone straight back to the solicitors who are now demanding I supply them with proof that the changes have been made, also proof that the invitation to join the company was presented properly to the third flat (I've got the registered letter receipt and a copy of the letter). I can't see any reason for this other than that they've deliberately held it back in order to delay further (otherwise it's another strike against their competence).

I now envisage them trying to charge again for their services. I'm in a bit of a quandary what to do next. They haven't actually issued a counter notice, so I'm wondering whether to: 1. Sit tight hoping the notice's one month deadline passes without a counter notice, but ready to go to tribunal if one appears. 2. Tell them to do it themselves. 3. Provide the information they request and demand an end to it. 4. Invoice them for 3 (as far as I can see, I may be obliged to provide that information, but I can't see anywhere I have to provide it for free.)

Any feelings on this? At the moment I feel like I'm being driven into a corner.

Comment

It's a bit strange that having sent a new notice of claim with the changes made that they are now asking for proof that the changes have been made. Surely the notice of claim is itself the proof?

Maybe they want to see the register of members for the company to see if the other flat has been correctly recorded as a member. I would just supply the information they've asked for.

It's annoying but I suggest that the focus now should be on getting the claim through without further challenge and if this is all they need to satisfy themselves that it's a valid claim then it may be worth doing.

Also I assume that the bill you've already received was for their work in dealing with the claim that was withdrawn? In which case I think that you will receive another bill for their handing of the new notice of claim.

Comment

Cheers, Chris1544, that's the direction I'm leaning. I just worry they'll then come back with something equally trivial they've been saving. And I do strongly object to the fact that I'm getting a huge bill from them for interfering in what should be a straightforward changeover, and at the same time, I have to do all the work.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. For small properties there is definitely more work involved on the side of the leaseholder in preparing the various notices etc then there is for the landlord's solicitors.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post but with regard to charging the solicitors for the information, you could do that but you should bear in mind that you will be paying the landlord's reasonable costs in dealing with the claim.

Therefore what is likely to happen is whatever you charge will be charged back to you in the bill you receive, possibly with admin fees added on top for making the payment.

Comment

Good point, Chris - though as a normal human being I'd argue that wasn't reasonable. But we're not dealing with normal human beings. Mind you, if they paid it and I had to pay it back, there'd be no net loss to me, but at least they'd suffer the delay and some of the annoyance I have to go through jumping through pointless hoops.

Comment

Grendel, apologies for not replying sooner. Unfortunately the details of our FTT judgement are not yet publicly available.

Regarding my specific case, the freeholder has now applied to the Tribunal for determination of costs seeking total costs of ~£1,900. We counter offered ~£1,400 to which they've given us 1 week to accept the sum of £1,600. Again, any thoughts/advice on whether there is merit in pursuing this further would be gratefully received.

Comment

It's so frustrating that this FH could use the argument that the claim does not identify the premises when his company are responsible for the Appeals Court decision which led to RTM not being applicable for multi block claims in the first place. If that hadn't happened we could simply use the definition in the lease, which defines the estate, not each individual block.It's HIS legal teams which have created this issue; RTM claims are just trying to adhere to the fallout from that decision.

It's the legal equivalent of driving into someone then suing them for denting your bodywork.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Variation of lease
                  by sgclacy
                  A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
                  13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
                • Variation of lease
                  by scampicat
                  I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
                  25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
                • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                  by sgclacy
                  Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
                  13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
                • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                  by Loque
                  999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
                  12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
                • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                  by chris1544
                  We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
                  12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
                • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                  by Gordon999
                  Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
                  12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
                • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                  by Lorimer
                  There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
                  12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
                • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                  by KingstonBee
                  Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
                  10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
                • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                  by Stew
                  sounds like a major win
                  12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
                • Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
                  by Boab
                  Is there any reason why I cannot let a freehold flat on a two flat maisonette where there are two freeholders with a deed of covenant between the two to cover such issues as maintaining the property? There appears to be nothing in the covenant restricting renting my property out and it’s been done...
                  10-08-2020, 06:12 AM
                Working...
                X