S20 works and conflict of interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S20 works and conflict of interest

I have a flat in a large development. I have share of in the freehold company. They want to carry out decoration works. They issued S20 notice. The lowest quote was rejected (apparently they said they had issues with that company). However the second lowest quote was the director's husband. He happens to be a one man builder. Ordinarily, I would not have minded him winning the contract, except the building works are £100k+. The couple do good things together in terms of social stuff e.g. picnics, but have never been happy with the way they spend the money on the estate. The director is too strong, so the other directors just follow her. If there is a problem with the works, there is no come back. The cost is pretty steep. None of the companies who provided quotes appears to be trade bodies of painting firms.

I am wondering, if they are breaking company law, by not declaring the conflict of interest?

There is nothing in the S20 decision about a related party, being appointed. It is n't a secret, because they mentioned in the meeting, but most people don't turn up to these residents meeting.

Whilst they should declare an interest and not vote, it seems to me that the interest was known and wouldn't have changed the result.

The rules for who can enforce such breaches seem to be complex, but whilst the directors can always do so, there are many cases where individual members cannot.

If you are convinced that the reasons given, in the stage 3 consultation, were bogus, you would be better off under L&T law than company law.

Comment

A landlord should obtain at least one quote from a contractor who is “wholly unconnected” with the landlord.

The landlord should declare any interest in the quotes obtained.

The s20 LTA 1985 legislation is particularly weak. Even if a landlord does not comply with it, he can seek dispensation and a Tribunal can grant dispensation on such terms as it considers fit. The Tribunal will normally only grant compensation if it considers that there was financial prejudice to the leaseholders.

Comment

If this was my block, I would want to know exactly what the "issues" with the cheapest contractor were - and when these issues were identified (If there were issues before quotes were obtained, I would want to know why that company was asked to quote).

I would also want to know why the conflict of interest wasn't openly declared from the beginning. Even if the fact that the contractor is the husband of the director is widely known, it should still have been clearly declared.
        Additionally, the director involved should have abstained from voting and had no involvement at all with the choosing or appointment of the contractor.

I'm not sure why you think there "is no come back" if there is a problem with the works.
        With any contract of this value, the directors should be ensuring that the contractor awarded the contract provides a suitable guarantee that any defective work will be corrected at the contractors cost. Something along these lines should be in the contract that is agreed.

Comment

You should refer to the Company’s Articles of Association and s175 Companies Act 2006 regarding conflicts of interest.

You may wish to ask the director for details of his public liability insurance. I agree with Macromia, if the director is carrying out works as a sole contractor, he would be personally responsible for any problems with those works.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Variation of lease
            by scampicat
            I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
            25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
          • Reply to Variation of lease
            by sgclacy
            A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
            13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
          • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
            by Loque
            999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
            12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
          • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
            by sgclacy
            Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
            13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
          • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by chris1544
            We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
            12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
          • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by Gordon999
            Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
            12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
          • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by Lorimer
            There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
            12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
          • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
            by Stew
            sounds like a major win
            12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
          • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
            by KingstonBee
            Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
            10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
          • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
            by ChrisDennison
            Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
            12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
          Working...
          X