Ground rent demand uploaded to online portal, not sent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground rent demand uploaded to online portal, not sent.

Hi,

My freeholder {Mod - name removed} have not sent me a ground rent demand for rent which will be due on Jan 1st.

I have opted for paperless (explicitly stated to be "email") correspondence, but have had no email. {Mod - name removed} run an online portal which, having logged in, has had uploaded (back in November) a ground rent demand which is in the correct prescribed form etc.

Can this upload (with no notification to me) count as a valid service of the demand? My understanding is that unless they have sent the demand to me at the address specified (which happens to be an email address) then the demand has not been issued and the rent will therefore will not be due.
    If they were to email me a copy of this notice then I would still reject it as the dates would now be incorrect (less than 30 days before payment date).

Can anyone confirm whether my understanding is correct?

It may look like I'm being difficult, and to a certain extent, I am.
    This isn't the first time they have failed to send demands, and last time I had to argue for quite some time to get them to drop bogus "admin fees" they subsequently added when the monies were not paid.

Just pay up IIWY. You are only causing hassle for yourself if you don't.

Comment

Please remove the company name.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        Please remove the company name.
        How come sorry?

(Also, there is no edit button for the post so I cant)

Comment

You are correct that posting a demand on their own web portal is not proper service. I suggest that you read carefully what you agreed to when you opted for paperless demands. Subject to that, you are entitled to withhold monies until you receive a valid demand.

Before holding out, you should consider whether or not you want the hassle of receiving further demands for late payment admin fees. Would a simple request asking them to send you demands by email in future suffice on this occasion?

Comment

Is yours a fixed ground rent? If so there is a great deal of merit in setting up a standing order, ie where you control the amount and the date of each payment. Pick your arguments well

Comment

I pointed out that they failed to serve the forms properly and they have sent revised ones with the dates amended so as to give 30 days notice. Success.

I know it seems petty, but I'm fairly sure I will have to take them to a tribunal over something at some point. I record their every failing so that I can show a pattern of behaviour if needs be.

Comment

Well done, if each leaseholder points out errors to his freeholder, the standard of the service to all leaseholders should improve.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X