Bristol Firm fined £18,000 for allowing  knotweed 'forest' to grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bristol Firm fined £18,000 for allowing  knotweed 'forest' to grow

Bristol Firm fined £18,000 for allowing knotweed 'forest' to grow so high it could be seen from space.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/firm-fined...120949787.html

As this covers more than one forum, Have included it in leasehold and letting.

What is the solution to the knotweed problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      What is the solution to the knotweed problem ?
      It must be removed professionally. ( from what I have read ) You can't do it on your own.
      Every last ounce must be removed and it's expensive as also you have to prevent any seeds remaining or blowing into other properties.

Not many people know they have knotweed, are not botanists, and don't ask me the names of any trees shrubs, or plants, as an example. I ask my gardener to identify those.
      I "should" know, as that's part of my job, so i walk round with the gardener to ensure I keep the place safe etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
        It must be removed professionally. ( from what I have read ) You can't do it on your own.
        Knotweed does not have to be dealt with professionally, but it can be very difficult to eradicate and anything other than small areas of Knotweed are probably best left to a professional.
        Rules and regulations regarding pesticide use and transport of waste obviously need to be adhered to, and extreme care needs to be taken to prevent spread (discarded stems and even just small pieces of rhizomes can lead to new growth).
        Glyphosate, usually in conjunction with other methods, is the typical treatment.

Originally posted by ram View Post
        Every last ounce must be removed and it's expensive as also you have to prevent any seeds remaining or blowing into other properties.
        Seeds are typically a problem with Japanese Knotweed, but fragments of rhizomes are.

The link below gives details of currently advised best practice and relevant legislation:
        http://www.nonnativespecies.org/down...ent.cfm?id=109

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X