Creating car parking spaces for residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating car parking spaces for residents

I own apartment in block of 12. The apartment has a garage in a block but the garages are not ideal for today's cars. The block has 3 visitor spots beside garage blocks. No one is meant to park anywhere else according to the Lease. But people park on the driveways. The current management company directors created some spots by marking them out but this is not in the Lease and the company cannot change the Lease without the Superior Landlord approval. The block has decent size front and back plain lawns. Does anyone know how easy/expensive it would be roughly to create new parking spots in place of lawn or on driveway (which has some space) and add to Lease? Do building regs/LA planning come into this? When we bought the apartment we asked about parking and were told that everyone just does it where they can and some (very few) use the garage. Every now and then lack of parking blows up into an emotive fight - be great just to fix it. The Superior Landlord never enforces parking and does not have much to do with the block except get someone to collect his annual charge.

The lawns are likely to be a condition of the planning consent and of the freehold covenants.
    The original consents will have been on basis that the garages were used to house private motor vehicles.

Planning consent is relevant, particularly for the front of the block.. Unless they are built over sewers, building regulations may not be so important. It is also possible they need to be away from windows and doors, for fire safety. Note that even where there are permitted development rights, which there will not be for flats, new hard standing cannot drain onto the public highway.

(Almost every time I have seen a front yard converted into parking space, it has ended up as an eyesore.)

Comment

......trouble is garages are not easy to get cars into and get out of the car. Yes I get the fire safety thing etc guess we would need to go to our LA planning department and have a word. The local doctors surgery has lots less space but room for cars so I think we should be able to do it - not sure who helps plan parking for a building. Sewers etc may be an issue to add to cost. Superior landlord would need to approve. The apartments were actually built without garages then the builder saw an opportunity to get more money so built them - that is what I was told any way. Block built in 1980. The council actually fought with developer re poor garages but they lost. We also have room down side of driveway. Everyone currently ignore the lease not to park on driveway.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X