Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting of the house every 5 years?

Hi all,

I have had some excellent advice from you all in the past thanks.

Cutting a long story short I obtained a RTM for our building of four flats. Now this seems pretty obvious to me but thought I would ask.

My lease states "As often as should be reasonably necessary and in any case once in every 5 years of the term to paint all outside surfaces usually painted"

Now the whole house is painted cream so I presume I have to paint the whole outside of the house every 5 years?(This sounds like a stupid question I know but just checking)

Thanks in advance.

That's what it literally means. You may find that no-one tries to hold you to that covenant if you go a little over that, and you have always had it done by high quality contractors in the past. However, particularly if this is paint over render, repainting has the side effect of detecting many cases of blown render (render that is no longer adhering to the brickwork, and letting water get in behind it).

Comment

Unless you can obtain the agreement from the other leaseholders, you should paint every 5 years. If the other leaseholders agree that it is not necessary, there is no need to repaint.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
        Unless you can obtain the agreement from the other leaseholders, you should paint every 5 years. If the other leaseholders agree that it is not necessary, there is no need to repaint.
        Thanks Eagle2 and leaseholder64 for the quick response. I am in contact with all the other leaseholders frequently. The house was painted in March 2014 so would be due this March 2019. It is not in bad condition by any means. We have no issue with painting the house when necessary.

So you are stating we will not be in breach of our lease if we all sign a piece of paper stating we do not feel the house needs re-painted?

I have only just got rid of this freeholder and I do not want them having any excuse to hassle me or my fellow leaseholders.

Thanks again.

Comment

You will be in breach of the lease, but it may be difficult for anyone to sue you for the consequences of that.

Comment

NB. Things should be repainted before they are showing signs of distress.

Comment

My apologies, you would need the agreement of the freeholder as well.

Comment

OK thanks.

Comment

I have been in a similar position whereby the management company stated that it intended to repaint the building but the leaseholders requested that the work was postponed. The management company agreed with the leaseholders on that occasion on the grounds that the painting could be delayed and it was their monies which would be used. The freeholder was not actually informed at that time but he could have raised an objection, which would have needed to be considered. In your case, if you have had recent history with the freeholder, it is best to consult him.

Comment

I think I will just get the house painted in March. Don't fancy even brushing shoulders with these lot.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X