Roof costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof costs

Hello everyone. I currently live in a townhouse in London with a flat roof, and am thinking of reaching agreement with my fellow share-of-freeholders for me to extend upwards by a floor (subject to planning of course). They are suggesting that I (necessarily) re-do the roof when extending, but also that I should take responsibility for maintaining the roof in the future. Does this sound like a reasonable request? Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you
    Sally

If the roof will be felt rather than slate or tile, I would agree. Felt will require re-doing ever 15 years or so, whereas slate or tile should last 50 to 100 years.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

And how much is the freeholder asking for for your extension, which raises the price of your flat?
      Freeholder is entitled to ask for approx 50% of the increase in value. I hope they realise that.

Regarding the flat roof. You will be destroying the freeholders existing roof, therefore up to you to maintain your new roof, unless it is the same size as before. You in effect, just raise the roof up one floor, then the "company" is still responsible to maintain.
      But up to the others ( freeholders ) to debate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X