Should I buy the freehold on my house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy the freehold on my house

I currently live in a new build house which i have been in for almost 3 years. When i bought the house it was sold to us as leasehold.
    I have read a lot in the news about the leasehold scandal which is going on about ground rents doubling every ten years causing leasehold house un-sellable.
    Recently i have been in touch with the builder of the site and asked if it was possible for me to purchase the freehold which they have agreed for a price of £2100 plus £180 legal fees, plus £400 for my solicitors fees.
    We our thinking about selling our house in the next 3-5 years and are worried that if we buy the freehold we wont get any of the money back we spent on it when selling.
    Our ground rent is £105 per year and there is 997 years left on the lease.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on whether its worth purchasing the freehold or leaving it as a leasehold?

We also pay service charge for upkeep of the estate we live on, i have read that once you become a freeholder of a property, you have less rights when it comes to service charge price increases.

I would appreciate feedback.

Everyone seems to be leaving this to someone else. I do not think that I am the best qualified to respond but I am happy to start.

Are you saying that your ground rent of £105 pa doubles every 10 years?

If so, 20 x the annual ground rent plus costs appears to be reasonable otherwise it seems to be on the high side and I would make a counter offer. It would be worth enquiring if they would consider a lower amount anyway.

It is not just a question of whether or not you would recover the cost, you would make the property more marketable and more acceptable to lenders, which cannot be quantified.

I am not aware of any restrictions on challenging service charges and I see no reason why you could not apply to the FTT if you became the freeholder and remain the recipient of a demand for service charges.

Comment

What is the price you paid for your property ?

If you compare the asking price of £2100 left in your deposit account at the bank , would you get £105 in annual interest ?

Make an counter offer at say £1000 and see if any response.

Check Law Commission website for any indication the price for freehold title on leasehold house may be reduced

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice please
        pinathecat
        I live in a block of (11) privately owned flats.
        I am a resident and a director of the flats maintenance company.
        About 5 years ago, the company engaged the services of a local estate agency to purely run the maintenance side.
        So They just collect the monthly fees and look after...
        18-04-2019, 18:39 PM
      • Reply to Advice please
        eagle2
        I do not understand why commonhold has been raised within this thread, it makes absolutely no difference. Managing agents will continue to exceed their authority and the directors will still need to supervise them....
        20-04-2019, 06:50 AM
      • Reply to Advice please
        eagle2
        It is the directors who are appointed to make decisions and represent the leaseholders/members. There is no need to call a general meeting of members. You should keep minutes of the directors' meeting and inform the leaseholders/members.
        20-04-2019, 06:45 AM
      • Reply to Advice please
        eagle2
        I recommend that you do not manage yourself, it is much better to appoint an independent managing agent in this case. You would have a conflict of interest and your motives may be questioned. I suggest that you interview 2 or 3 agents and set out your requirements and see who best fits them, The new...
        20-04-2019, 06:35 AM
      • Reply to Advice please
        eagle2
        I was not suggesting that complaining to ARMA or a redress scheme was the best solution here, I was responding to a question, Incidentally, I am not sure what happened to ARMA-Q and their self regulating scheme.
        20-04-2019, 06:29 AM
      • RMC liabilities - not working in leaseholders interests?
        landlady2016
        I'll try to be brief and have made reference to a related problem before: For almost a decade roof repairs on a 34 flat estate have been needed and in the past few years action has been taken but at snails pace. I have had some useful comments on this forum. I now have internal damage and RMC have requested...
        18-04-2019, 08:35 AM
      • Reply to RMC liabilities - not working in leaseholders interests?
        eagle2
        If a reserve fund were being used properly, the charges to the leaseholders would be spread evenly and the agent would already hold funds before the works commence. There should be no need to demand exceptionally large sums from leaseholders and I agree that there appears to be mismanagement. The only...
        20-04-2019, 06:12 AM
      • Restitution for overpaid service charges
        Lorimer
        I have just had a First Tier Tribunal hearing for a service charge challenge spanning the years 2014-2016. The FTT confirmed what I suspected - that I had overpaid 10K of service charges and that although the FTT is not in a position to order repayment to me, I might consider making a county court claim...
        18-04-2019, 09:01 AM
      • Reply to Restitution for overpaid service charges
        eagle2
        It is surprising how many leaseholders fail to follow up a previous decision and that is what the freeholder will be relying on. Another Tribunal may not arrive at the same decision, although it is difficult to imagine in this case, the cost and inconvenience are all factors which seem to persuade leaseholders...
        20-04-2019, 05:29 AM
      • Appointing Property Manager
        scot22
        Do shareholders/leaseholders have any rights to determine appointment of a property manager ?
        19-04-2019, 17:04 PM
      Working...
      X