3 flats: 2 Joint Freeholders, 1 Long-Leaseholder, Request to inspect the Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
    When you send out demands for the service charges, they should contain the names and addresses of the freeholders to whom notices should be served.
    Thank you for giving this information. We, the Freeholders, have amended our template to include this information, so it will now be on every Service Charge Demand.

The Leaseholder has requested to see all the bank statements.
    I don't have a problem with this, but is it a legal requirement for Leaseholders to see the bank accounts?

Comment

The general trend, with legislation, seems to be that leaseholders should have the right to inspect all accounting documents that aren't confidential. With RTM's that is what is required to be available immediately. For other leaseholders, they can be forced to wait until about seven months after the accounting year. As I previously commented, some managing agents now provide real time access to payments details to all leaseholders.

Normally bank statements would need to be redacted, as they contain personal information about the bank accounts of leaseholders, and when they actually paid, so how far in arrears they are. If there really is only one leaseholder (share of freehold freeholders are also leaseholders), they have the right to see that information under the terms of the GDPR (subject access requests).

Comment

It is much simpler to call a meeting and show your shoe box with all the bills and bank statement for the year and give her a copy of the simple annual accounts which should be certified by a director.

Ask her to bring her mobile to take any photos of bills because you cannot bring a copying machine to McDonalds Cafe.

You need to keep records for at least 6 years and copy of annual service charge accounts for 3 years because when any flat is put up for sale , the next buyer has to get a mortgage. The mortgage lender wants to see service charge accounts for last 3 years before they are willing to make an offer of loan. .

Comment

The problem I have is that one Leaseholder (joint Freeholder) pays their service charge monthly, not every six months as per the terms of the lease. This is a special arrangement and was agreed by a former joint freeholder, because of personal circumstances.
          I don’t want to get into the situation where the 3rd Leaseholder thinks she can pay monthly.
          Surely, this arrangement should be kept confidential.

Comment

The arrangement must be kept confidential, otherwise it would be a serious breach of data protection law. Revealing that a "customer" is a credit risk is a definite no-no.

Generally, when people operate an open policy, it is only the outgoings (supplier invoices) that are published to the leaseholders.

I would only allow people to see the end of year account totals, from the bank, although you could take a .csv transaction list, and edit out the balances and leaseholder transactions.

If the voluntary arrangement with the debtor clears the debt at the end of the financial year, it won't show up on the summary accounts, but, if overruns, you can't really hide the fact that there are arrears. Also, if the arrears prevent necessary expenditure, you may have to reveal that they exist, and it may be possible for people to then deduce who the debtor is. Standard conveyancing questions ask for information about this, so it could be an issue at any time of year.

Comment

As you have been advised, allow those who wish to see the accounts, see them, as it's THEIR money you are spending. Don't need forms, they just ask, especially as they live in the same building.

I used to have everything available on a table at A.G.M's but no one bothered to look ( I assume, and know they trusted me ).

The monthly service charge payments are a concession, and ONLY for one flat.
              If any other flats have problems with their own payment issues, then that leaseholder puts in a request, and it is looked at if there is actual financial problems or not. If not, the request is denied.

What you can't do is have everyone paying monthly, because you prepare a service charge for the forthcoming year and if you don't get all the money in, up front, then you have to wait a full year before you can start the last job, which will be in month 13 when the last payments come in at month 12..
              Repairs / Maintenance MUST be done within a reasonable time, not 13 months after.

Comment

If one of the freeholders is not complying with the lease, the leaseholder should be informed and given the same facility to pay monthly. It is best policy to disclose everything, the more you disclose the less will be requested going forward.

Comment

Whilst it is generally best not to hold any secrets, I believe you do have a duty to protect the fact that the joint freeholder has made an arrangement with his creditors.

Incidentally, if this were a limited company, rather than a tenants in common arrangement, I have a feeling that a director in that position would have to resign.

Comment

Its best with only 3 flats in building to allow everyone to pay by 10 monthly standing orders. This way you have no secrets to guard and no need to prepare invoice for half year service charge demand .
                    For my block , of 30 flats , all leaseholders are allowed to pay by one payment or by 10 monthly bank standing orders.

So let her see the bank statements and be willing to discuss if she wants to pay by monthly standing order.

Comment

You should make available for inspection the bank statements otherwise you cannot prove payment of bills so the leaseholder will see the arrangement. Billing should remain in accordance with the lease in case the leaseholder fails to make payment and you need to recover arrears. If a leaseholder offers to pay, it is best to accept the proposal but it does not alter the dates when charges are due.

Comment

Thank you for all the (sometimes conflicting) advice.
                        I have asked my solicitor about the bank account statements.
                        My solicitor has said the Leaseholder has no right whatsoever to see the bank account.
                        I have receipts from the companies who have been paid, so I have proof that they have been paid.

Comment

I strongly disagree with your solicitor. A leaseholder has the right to see what happens to his payments and check that they are paid in promptly and how they are used. He also has the right to know how much is held at the bank and has not been siphoned off. It is unusual for a freeholder to obtain receipts for all payments however receipts can be forged and they do not confirm that money left the bank account. A payment can be cancelled or a credit note could be issued subsequently. Refunds can be seen on a bank statement. I would advise any leaseholder to be suspicious of a freeholder who refuses to disclose all accounting records.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                            by eagle2
                            It makes you wonder why any freeholder should comply with s20 at all. As you say, it can wait to see if any leaseholder challenges the costs. It does not even need to explain why it did not comply with s20, the only consideration appears to be whether or not the leaseholders suffered any financial prejudice,...
                            23-10-2021, 06:34 AM
                          • Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                            by SSLA91
                            Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
                            20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
                          • Reply to Section 20 notice
                            by Starlane
                            Hi Macromia thank you as always for your helpful and sensible input.. one building is saying one thing and another building the other, the usual chinese whispers so I took the bull by the horns and spoke to everyone and I am almost there apart from a Director who wants to do their own thing ( not being...
                            22-10-2021, 20:57 PM
                          • Section 20 notice
                            by Starlane
                            Hello I would welcome input on the following:
                            Two roofs feed into a valley, the valley is in need of repair, this is a shared responsibility and therefore a shared cost. so how do we issue a section 20 notice when really we need the consent and agreement from two different buildings/landlords...
                            22-10-2021, 19:09 PM
                          • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
                            by Starlane
                            Agree thank you...
                            22-10-2021, 20:52 PM
                          • Share of freehold questions - confused
                            by sixunforced
                            Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
                            18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
                          • Reply to Section 20 notice
                            by Macromia
                            Assuming that the two freeholders have agreed that they will work together and share the costs, they jointly agree what needs to be communicated to the leaseholders and then each freeholder writes to the leaseholders in their building.
                            22-10-2021, 20:16 PM
                          • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                            by Disraeli-LLH
                            I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
                            20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
                          • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                            by Macromia
                            This is possibly by far the most important consideration, in my opinion.
                            If the OP's lease doesn't allow 'improvements' to be charged to service charges, the freeholder cannot require them to contribute anything towards the costs, and would therefore be something that they would have had no choice...
                            22-10-2021, 20:08 PM
                          • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                            by Macromia
                            Possibly...

Although when my freeholder applied for dispensation a while back (arguing that the proposed work had to be carried out as a matter of urgency) they were granted dispensation with the First Tier Tribunal commenting that the 2013 Supreme Court Case of Daejan versus Benson meant...
                            22-10-2021, 19:51 PM
                          Working...
                          X