Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can majority freeholders/directors change own Lease

Hello,
    I am new to freehold so please bare with me.....I have just purchased a flat. I am a shareholder and director and I plan subletting the flat out. The Lease states that consent is required and a reasonable fee needs to be paid to the managing agent who is managing the property. Could we collectively decide to pay £0 for sub letting fees and ignore window cleaning clause?

How many flats, shareholder and directors are there? Consent will be required however it can not be unreasonably withheld.

Comment

You cannot remove obligations in the the lease that you have to other leaseholders without either their consent or a tribunal ruling. There are limited circumstances in which the latter option applies. A majority only allows you to ensure that the freeholder gives consent. It doesn't override objections by leaseholders who aren't shareholders, or didn't agree to the decision.

There will be conveyancing costs involve in a lease change.

The right to reject sub-lets is a valuable protection against, for example, a landlord who doesn't want to get their hands dirty, entering a rent to rent agreement with a housing association, who then install anti-social tenants. It also allows you to check that tenancy agreements don't allow tenants to beach terms of the lease. Vetting tenancy agreements takes time, and any managing agent will not do that for free.

I have no idea what your window cleaning clause is.

https://www.lease-advice.org/article...freehold-flat/ stresses that share of the freehold companies are still bound by the terms of the lease, and by landlord and tenant law.

Comment

leaseholder64,

Would that be a conflict of interests situation where the Lease states they need to pay a reasonable fee?

Comment

Are you director of the Residents Management Company or the Company owning the freehold title ? How many BTL flats in the block ?

Comment

In most companies, the board, and certainly the majority of members, can waive conflicts of interest.

In any case, I'm not sure were the alleged conflict of interest lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
              Are you director of the Residents Management Company or the Company owning the freehold title ? How many BTL flats in the block ?
              I own the freehold with the other shareholders equally through a ltd company, I am a director and a leaseholder.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                In most companies, the board, and certainly the majority of members, can waive conflicts of interest.

In any case, I'm not sure were the alleged conflict of interest lies.
                So can the director with the conflict of interest....me letting out a flat and I am not wanting to pay assign to let fees not be permitted to vote on this? Could other director...there are only two say its ok?

Comment

The other directors can waive administration charges, but not service charges.

However, they still have at least a moral duty to verify that you are letting to a suitable person on suitable terms, and, in particular, that you won't cause the insurance policy to be voided.

Comment

Note that they are not changing the lease, they are simply waiving a requirement to comply with the lease on one occasion.

Comment

The question states that the fee is payable to the MA. If there is no MA no fee is payable.
                      If there is an MA and you seek to reduce the income of the MA it will most likely look to increase its income by other means.
                      In general terms the lease confers a right to the freeholder but the freeholder is not obliged to exercise that right unless a party to the lease requires it to do so and indemnifies the freeholder for any costs involved. The MA is not a party to the lease therefore it cannot require the freeholder to exercise it's right.
                      The obvious way to remove the right is to complete a Deed of Variation signed by all parties.
                      Alternatively the directors can decide to reduce the fee or not to charge it on each occasion or until further notice. Conflicts of interest should be declared and may prevent a director from voting depending on the Articles. That can be circumvented by amending the Articles or dealing with the fee for each lease separately.

Comment

If there is an MA involved you should consider the management agreement and what has been agreed regarding letting fees

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unwanted Dogs
                          leaseman2014
                          A few months ago we had reason to send a solicitors letter to a long lease holder because she was keeping a dog in her flat. It was not her dog but her daughters
                          Our lease states this
                          1. Not without the previous consent in writing of the Lessors (which consent may be revoked at any time without
                          19-10-2018, 18:57 PM
                        • ownership of loft space
                          katya000
                          Hello,I own a long leasehold purpose built edwardian maisonette on the first floor of a 2 storey building.There is a similar flat below me.The attic is directly above my flat and only accesible from my flat.
                          my lease includes the roof and i have to maintain the roof and can recover 50% of any...
                          19-10-2018, 10:17 AM
                        • Reply to ownership of loft space
                          Lawcruncher
                          All noted. What rights are reserved?
                          19-10-2018, 16:41 PM
                        • Returning Ground Rent
                          vmart
                          We (freeholders) made an application to court to determine a lease is in breach - currently waiting for a hearing date. In the meantime, the defendant sent us a cheque for ground rent which was not demanded. We intend to return the cheque but we are not sure what we should say in the covering letter....
                          19-10-2018, 14:23 PM
                        • Management fees
                          desamax
                          Hi our lease states the FH can take 15% of total expenditure for management fees.
                          They have set up a separate company and have charged ££3.5k on £16k expenditure.
                          Is this allowed within the clause in our lease below.
                          Thanks

"To pay the cost of any managing agents...
                          07-09-2018, 10:21 AM
                        • Reply to Management fees
                          desamax
                          Thank you....
                          19-10-2018, 12:58 PM
                          katya000
                          Thankyou so much for your help Law cruncher.I would like to convert the attic to habitable space but the freeholder is asking for a premium.

the roof is hardly mentioned in the lease. the property description simply says- (a) ground floor landing,the front door and the staircase leading...
                          19-10-2018, 12:45 PM
                          Lawcruncher
                          If you read this thread: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...-in-the-lease= you will see I refer to section 62 of the Law of Property Act 1925. In many cases section 62(2)...
                          19-10-2018, 11:23 AM
                          eagle2
                          Yes, it is better to separate the request for recognition from the request for information, If you expect to apply to the FTT, it is better to have clean correspondence without other issues complicating the matter.
                          19-10-2018, 11:21 AM
                          desamax
                          Will do that Eagle, if it helps move thing on.
                          19-10-2018, 10:54 AM
                        Working...
                        X