Freeholder licence fee for consent to replace windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder licence fee for consent to replace windows

I am planning to replace the windows in my flat as they are as old as the block (early 90s), timber single-glazed and the condensation/mould problem in the winter is really bad. The current windows also do not comply with Fire Egress Regulations. I plan to replace the windows with PVCU double-glazed windows of the same colour and design as the current windows.

The block is owned by private freeholders and they are charging me £315 for a licence to change them as I am not replacing them like for like, even though my lease makes no reference to the material of the windows, only that I am responsible for repair/maintenance, and earlier this year the management company issued a section 20 for replacing the communal single-glazed timber windows with "white PVCu doubled-glazed windows", so they have already decided to switch to PVCU.

My question is, is the £315 fee excessive and should I challenge them on it? I asked the surveyor and he said they are "taking the mickey" and "it's a money making exercise for them".

The fee is excessive, unless it is specified in the lease. Some freeholders have a business model that depends on this sort of fee.

However, flats do not have permitted development rights, so you will have to pay a significant amount for planning consent, unless your council has a local exception to this rule.

Also note that uPVC windows are likely to make condensation and mould worse. The old wooden frames were probably quite leaky, so contributed to ventilation of the rooms. Also, the water tended to condense on the glass, whereas it will now condense on the walls. You need to address the root causes of the condensation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unwanted Dogs
      leaseman2014
      A few months ago we had reason to send a solicitors letter to a long lease holder because she was keeping a dog in her flat. It was not her dog but her daughters
      Our lease states this
      1. Not without the previous consent in writing of the Lessors (which consent may be revoked at any time without
      19-10-2018, 18:57 PM
    • Reply to Unwanted Dogs
      Lawcruncher
      "Not without the previous consent in writing of the Lessors (which consent may be revoked at any time without any reason being assigned for revocation) to keep nor allow to be kept any bird, reptile, dog, cat or any other live animal in the Demised Premises."

Two comments on the...
      22-10-2018, 20:41 PM
    • ownership of loft space
      katya000
      Hello,I own a long leasehold purpose built edwardian maisonette on the first floor of a 2 storey building.There is a similar flat below me.The attic is directly above my flat and only accesible from my flat.
      my lease includes the roof and i have to maintain the roof and can recover 50% of any...
      19-10-2018, 10:17 AM
    • Reply to ownership of loft space
      Lawcruncher
      The rights granted and reserved do not yield anything which cause me to revise what I said above.

Your solicitor is thinking along the same lines as I am. If the word "in" were "on" I think you would be home and dry. Unfortunately we have "in". There are two...
      22-10-2018, 19:14 PM
    • Reply to Unwanted Dogs
      Logical.Lean
      There are two reasons why you wouldn't want a dog in a flat.

One is potential Damage. Well the deposit and tenants home insurance might cover that. Landlords insurance also might cover it. But a well behaved lap dog (a nice cavalier perhaps) would not normally cause much damage. Unless...
      22-10-2018, 18:49 PM
    • Who appoints the Directors of our Company (which owns the freehold)
      esgd27
      Does anyone have any expertise on the appointment of Company Directors. We own (and rent out) one flat in a converted house of 5 flats. We and each of the other 4 flats owns one share in a company that owns the freehold.

I am trying to confirm the process for appointing new Directors....
      10-10-2018, 16:33 PM
    • Reply to Who appoints the Directors of our Company (which owns the freehold)
      njs889333
      A simple check of the Confirmation Statement filed at Companies House should answer any doubts caused by post 20.
      22-10-2018, 16:48 PM
    • Fire escape
      Missycat1
      I had my lease extended , by private arrangement with my freeholder, a couple of years ago. I agreed to remove the access over the rear garden, in and out of the back gate, to access only as a secondary means of escape, in an emergency. This is fine, but I've looked at the deeds today, and I've noticed...
      19-10-2018, 20:22 PM
    • Reply to Fire escape
      Missycat1
      Yes I do .....it's always been there, by the looks of it. It's a purpose built flat.......the back bit was put on as an extension around 1930...most people think it's a fire escape....which it certainly doubles as....
      22-10-2018, 15:21 PM
    • RTM Related Questions ( Apologies If not the right forum)
      simple_shankar
      Dear All

I am a director in the RTM company which has taken over the management a year ago and my enquiry is particular to a current situation.
      Now when the RTM was started, It has only two directors and they appointed an managing agent and also one of the their friend as an employee....
      21-10-2018, 20:48 PM
    Working...
    X