Tanking structure of a building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanking structure of a building

The walls of a Victorian building converted into flats are not tanked. If you tank the wall of a flat, with the sole intention of preventing any water penetration to that particular flat, does the tanking become part of the structure of the building.

The Victorian era covered the period from 1837 to 1901 . The start of building construction with dpc was around 1871-1875 .

https://www.damp.guide/Dampness_Lies...ALw_wcB#Render

This website does not think tanking is the permanent solution to prevent water ingress.

Comment

It becomes a landlord's fixture. How it affects maintenance responsibilities will depend on the exact wording of the lease.

Comment

Thanks for two helpful posts. Gordon the link is much appreciated - the site is a mine of information. I should have said that the flat is on the first floor. I assume the same principles apply. Leaseholder the landlord is a residents management company. Assuming the RMC is not responsible for ensuring all flats are damp free, is this a responsibility they should consider taking on ? If it must, no mention of damp in the lease, then obviously it must there is no choice.

Comment

Did you say first floor flat ? Do you have a ground floor flat below and second floor flat above your first floor flat ?

if you have rain water penetrating inside a first floor flat, you should be looking for gaps in cement course in outer wall which needs re-pointing. and damaged or cracked drain pipe with water spilling out during heavy rain or blocked roof gutter and water overflowing the face of wall.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X