Tanking structure of a building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanking structure of a building

The walls of a Victorian building converted into flats are not tanked. If you tank the wall of a flat, with the sole intention of preventing any water penetration to that particular flat, does the tanking become part of the structure of the building.

The Victorian era covered the period from 1837 to 1901 . The start of building construction with dpc was around 1871-1875 .

https://www.damp.guide/Dampness_Lies...ALw_wcB#Render

This website does not think tanking is the permanent solution to prevent water ingress.

Comment

It becomes a landlord's fixture. How it affects maintenance responsibilities will depend on the exact wording of the lease.

Comment

Thanks for two helpful posts. Gordon the link is much appreciated - the site is a mine of information. I should have said that the flat is on the first floor. I assume the same principles apply. Leaseholder the landlord is a residents management company. Assuming the RMC is not responsible for ensuring all flats are damp free, is this a responsibility they should consider taking on ? If it must, no mention of damp in the lease, then obviously it must there is no choice.

Comment

Did you say first floor flat ? Do you have a ground floor flat below and second floor flat above your first floor flat ?

if you have rain water penetrating inside a first floor flat, you should be looking for gaps in cement course in outer wall which needs re-pointing. and damaged or cracked drain pipe with water spilling out during heavy rain or blocked roof gutter and water overflowing the face of wall.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 'Reasonable' ground rent collection charge?
            by Benzo
            Hi guys

We recently achieved RTM from our underperforming managing agents. We no longer pay our service charge to them. However our old managing agents still represent the freeholder, and so we still pay our ground rent to him via the old managing agents.

Following RTM, they've...
            04-01-2020, 11:32 AM
          • Reply to 'Reasonable' ground rent collection charge?
            by Benzo
            That is interesting. I will put this to our legal guys and see what they say....
            01-06-2020, 14:59 PM
          • Reply to Flat Roof used as fire escape and right of way
            by scot22
            I am always ready to reposition myself.
            it is not that they want to develop the roof in any way. Crossing it provides their only fire escape and, naturally want to preserve it.

If OP sticks it out to court I suspect it will cost quite a few thousand.

Imagine a fire and...
            01-06-2020, 14:39 PM
          • Flat Roof used as fire escape and right of way
            by RichardCardiff
            I am the Freeholder of a property and the property has an single story extension which has a flat roof. The lease holder of the flat above had the lease amended before I purchased it so that he has the right of use of the flat roof. I converted the ground floor of the property and added a basement....
            29-05-2020, 18:14 PM
          • Reply to Flat Roof used as fire escape and right of way
            by Freeholder is king
            Scott22 and i differ in what the rights are. If the top flat has a deed of variation to use the flat roof and it is unlikely they will get planning permission IF they applied for it. I would say that the freeholder could put skylights in the roof as the top flat have never used the roof or am i missing...
            01-06-2020, 14:10 PM
            by Section20z
            Charging a percentage in your case would be unreasonable as some lessees would be paying more for exactly the same service
            You stated the lease clause as being "the fees of the Lessor’s Managing Agents for the collection of the rents of the Flats in the Building AND for the general management...
            01-06-2020, 14:02 PM
          • Reply to Face to face AGM arranged?
            by scot22
            You are right. I just find things confusing !

My big concern would be the lack of notice. I am reasonably sure that no AoA would allow this.
            01-06-2020, 13:34 PM
          • Face to face AGM arranged?
            by Sandy1986
            We have been contacted today by our management company to say they are holding a face to face AGM in our car park on Wednesday evening with social distancing. This would be around 15 people minimum. As the current regulations are no more than 6 people would this apply to an AGM in these circumstances...
            01-06-2020, 09:58 AM
          • Reply to Face to face AGM arranged?
            by jpkeates
            The meeting would be allowed if it was for "work purposes", but it wouldn't be "work" for anyone other than the management committee.
            "Business" or "Commercial" aren't exceptions....
            01-06-2020, 13:07 PM
            by Benzo
            Thanks Lawcruncher, I suggested 10% plus VAT so I'm glad to see we're in a similar place on this.

You're exactly right on the formal vs informal - the informal extensions by standard for this freeholder are extending the lease to 99 years (not by 99 years) and adding clauses about ground...
            01-06-2020, 13:06 PM
          Working...
          X