Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Extension - Tenant

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me. I bought a flat and my solicitor had arranged to serve the lease extension notice before completion which was signed by the leaseholders solicitor. We have completed the purchase and my solicitor is dealing with the lease extension. The freeholders solicitor is looking for any reason to not proceed. He is now claiming that we need to show that the previous leaseholder had expressly authorised their solicitor to sign on behalf of the leaseholder. The solicitor had only received an email from their client authorising them.

My solicitor is saying this is acceptable, however the freeholders solicitor is saying this is not 'express authority'.

Can someone help with the rules and procedure for when the lease extension notice is signed on behalf of the leaseholder by their solicitor.

Thank you.

What is express authority ?

Better to make a complaint to the SRA and the Law Commission which is holding a public consultation

See item 10.3 in the free guide :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...tting-started/

Comment

They are saying express means written and signed in wet ink. they are not even accepting emails. Do you know what the rules are with giving authority. Surely a solicitor can sign the notice if he has authority whether that authority is written or not.

Comment

Here is the view of another solicitor about serving notice by email but its not the same situation as your situation where the email is from you to your own solicitor :

https://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/20...you-your-case/

Comment

I believe, by default, the Law of Property Act 1925 applies, and many leases explicitly say that notices may be delivered by the means specified there. Not surprisingly, for a 1925 Act, email is not a valid option for formal notices.

Comment

It's a lot of nonsense. Presumably solicitor billed the lessee for the work? Then how would he be paid unless he had authority.

I would threaten freeloader with FTT.

Comment

Thank you for all your comments. Hopefully I will be able to challenge them. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

If the seller served a Section 42 notice at the time the lease was transferred to you then you should be entitled to apply for a statutory lease extension without waiting 2 years. As there is no prescribed format for a Section 42 I cannot see how the freeholder's solicitors point about 'expressly signed' is valid. Contact LEASE for advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RTM Director Conflict of Interest
                  Hemendr
                  Hi,
                  I am a leaseholder of building with 87 flats. We created our own management company RTM company to manage our building. The process of creating the RTM was led by two leaseholders who then convinced 45 other leaseholders to become a member of that RTM company. They appointed themselves as...
                  21-10-2018, 08:35 AM
                • Reply to RTM Director Conflict of Interest
                  eagle2
                  A managing agent is appointed to deal with the day to day matters and comply with the lease and legislation. The directors should be supervising the managing agent and in order to do so I suggest that they refer to the RICS management code of practice if they do not do so already.
                  21-10-2018, 14:31 PM
                  leaseholder64
                  I don't see any service levels in that contract!

I would be concerned that this was actually a contract of service, which would trigger all sorts of employee rights as well as PAYE.

"Including taxes" seems weird, unless Mr x is registered for VAT and it is a contract...
                  21-10-2018, 14:25 PM
                  eagle2
                  I would hope that the “concierge duty” is defined and a list of specific duties is contained within the contract.

I do not think that you are entitled to make the assumptions simply because the managing agent has failed to respond to your questions.

You do not say whether or...
                  21-10-2018, 13:57 PM
                  Hemendr
                  Hi, all thank you very much for taking the time to reply,

The Concierge contract says "Contractor Service Level Agreement Concierge Service" in heading. It's a Legally binding agreement between Mr x (Concierge) and <my RTM company name> to carry out Concierge duty.
                  21-10-2018, 13:11 PM
                  eagle2
                  There is nothing wrong or unusual about a conflict of interest and it does not need to be referred to a meeting of members for approval. The Articles of Association will state whether or not a director is entitled to vote in a matter in which he has an interest. Ideally, he would abstain when a decision...
                  21-10-2018, 12:30 PM
                • Returning Ground Rent
                  vmart
                  We (freeholders) made an application to court to determine a lease is in breach - currently waiting for a hearing date. In the meantime, the defendant sent us a cheque for ground rent which was not demanded. We intend to return the cheque but we are not sure what we should say in the covering letter....
                  19-10-2018, 14:23 PM
                • Reply to Returning Ground Rent
                  andydd
                  Yes it would be useful to know what the alleged breach is.. it maybe something we see a lot of here where LH is late paying GR but FH adds on further n further admin charges (often where lease doesn't allow it anyway). The LH has a right to send cheques for GR or admin charges or service charges as...
                  21-10-2018, 12:08 PM
                • Rubbish not collected; rodents; management company doesn't care, ditto Bristol CC.
                  randal_bond
                  Hi, forum. URGENT! How can we enforce our rights to rubbish-free house? Maybe, somebody versed in law can help.

Basement lock-up area is designated for leaving rubbish in wheelie-bins provided.They are full and bin bags are left on the floor everywhere, and the number is increasing (about...
                  18-10-2018, 07:46 AM
                • Reply to Rubbish not collected; rodents; management company doesn't care, ditto Bristol CC.
                  leaseholder64
                  Definitely a fire safety issue.

Unfortunately, you may find that sub-landlords put up with increased service charges for the benefit of not having to police their tenants.
                  21-10-2018, 11:54 AM
                Working...
                X