Can a director of a self-managed freehold company charge management fees?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by eagle2
    ram – directors are employees of the Company and directors’ remuneration should be declared to HMRC and PAYE applied. If you had failed to declare the income for tax purposes, the Company and its directors would be liable for any tax which was payable.
    I was not employed by the company. It was a voluntary agreement by Leaseholders.
    This was made clear.

    Also, no tax is payable on wages of £ 800 per year.
    taxable income is the amount you earn above the personal allowance (£11,850 for 2018-19) and any other reliefs you are eligible for.
    I was not employed in any other capacity, therefore no tax payable, but other directors of other properties may, as you say, have to disclose this income, therefore you add 20 % to the money you want, to pay the tax.


      Ram – If by voluntary agreement, you mean that there was no agreement with the RMC and payments were made directly by the leaseholders to yourself, then I agree that you would be responsible for paying any tax. If you were appointed by the RMC, PAYE should have been operated. It may well be that a tax code would have been issued which would have resulted in no tax being paid but the RMC is not entitled to make that assumption.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
        by sgclacy
        If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
        22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
      • Negotiating a lease extension
        by LizLease
        Hi all, I am new to the forum.
        I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
        I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
        I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
        21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
      • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
        by mpppen
        I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

        It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

        I've read back through the forums...
        21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
      • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
        by Gordon999
        I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
        22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
      • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
        by Lat
        I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

        The criteria in my case is...

        1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
        2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
        04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
      • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
        by Lat
        What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

        All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

        The Process.
        22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
      • Dissolve company and regain shares
        by LaraJara21
        Good afternoon

        I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
        22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
      • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
        by Gordon999
        The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

        If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
        22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
      • Right to Manage Costs
        by Pariah81

        I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

        We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

        We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

        I'm also aware we have to pay...
        21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
      • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
        by ram

        You can't do that, as where is the money going to come from ?
        You cant give them back the money they gave towards the RTM - as then WHO pays for the RTM legal fees ? - You ?
        It can't come out of the service charges.
        You can pay ONE of the Directors, say $ 500 per year to administer
        22-09-2021, 10:03 AM