acquiring freehold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acquiring freehold

hello, my son in law has a flat ,comprising the upper floor of a building with one other flat below. his ex father in law owns the freehold, but has never charged any ground rent, or become involved in repairs, indeed,he didn't realise he was the freeholder still when I rang him!
    my sil now wants to sell flat, and we are wondering if it's worth acquiring the freehold ( he doesn't want money for it),or whether it will be an impediment to prospective lenders and therefore buyers. There is a long lease on the flats.

The current arrangement is likely to impede the sale of the property.

The buyers solicitor will want lots of info from the current FH, like who insures the building, are the ground rent and service charge up to date, who is responsible for repairs, are any repairs planned etc. Sounds like the current FH isn’t meeting any of his current obligations if he doesn’t even know he owns it!

Generally owning the FH is a good thing as it gives you control over the building although all the terms in the leases still apply, and there are a lot of legal obligations stipulated in the leases as to who is responsible for what, the leases are a good place to start, read both thoroughly.

There will be some value in the FH, Ground rent income and future lease extensions etc so if the FH is giving it away. You can’t normally own the lease and the FH in the same name, so it will have to be hold in joint names or owned in a company.

It might be easier to sell the flat leasehold, with the offer of the FH separately.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RTM Member
      jimcarver
      Apologies in advance for the basic question.

I hear a lot of talk of becoming a “member” of an RTM. Is this something you have to officially apply for, or are you automatically a member if you own a property in the block being managed by an RTM.

The RTM as one appointed director...
      21-02-2019, 01:32 AM
    • Homeless living in flats hallways
      RosieB
      Hello,

My first time here - I'm lucky I've managed 8 years of land-lording without serious issue! Until now...

My tenanted flat is on the 2nd floor of a block. There are 3 blocks in total on the estate. In the past 2 to 3 weeks my tenants have reported homeless people sleeping,...
      18-02-2019, 13:57 PM
    • Reply to Homeless living in flats hallways
      Gordon999
      I suggest you ( and other flats ) make a complaint to the local MP who is the right person to deal with this problem.

The management company should change the entrance door lock and issue set of keys to each flat occupier.
      21-02-2019, 00:04 AM
    • Can a RMC refuse a wayleave signed by the freeholder?
      James2004k
      I live in a leasehold flat (owned). The estate is of 40 flats.
      The only ISP available is BT (Sky, Talk Talk etc).
      I have got Hyperoptic on board and they are looking to service the buildings.
      They have contacted the freeholder who is wiling to sign a wayleave for a fee (supposedly...
      20-02-2019, 13:45 PM
    • Reply to Can a RMC refuse a wayleave signed by the freeholder?
      Gordon999
      If your site is managed by a RTM, any fees except "ground rent" payable to freeholder becomes due to the RTM . The freeholder is only responsible for collecting ground rent and dealing with proceedings for forfeiture.

The RTM is responsible for managing the site and approving...
      20-02-2019, 23:50 PM
    • Section 20 despite long term neglect of the buildings
      redrabbit
      For the last 6 months myself and fellow residents have been trying to defend ourselves against freeholder company with S20 work. Incredibly frustrating as they seem to not have the answers to the most basic questions.

Current estimate of work is £15k for each household.
      17-02-2019, 18:51 PM
    • Reply to Section 20 despite long term neglect of the buildings
      Gordon999
      In your post 3, you say your property is a town house and not a flat ? What does your property title ( at Land Registry) say ?

Are you owner of a leasehold House Or leasehold Flat ? Are some 21 houses under freehold title at your site ?
      20-02-2019, 23:33 PM
    • Can RTM sole director make all decisions
      Sahar
      hi guys
      I asked a question before of how to become a RTM director, still trying to become one, but due to the current sole director -> MA arrangement I am unsure if I can do anything really.

Therefore, I would like to ask a simple question as it seems there is contradictory information...
      20-02-2019, 21:43 PM
    • Reply to Can RTM sole director make all decisions
      Sahar
      hi leaseholder64

I really appreciate your comments, and willingness to help but I still do not understand why Article 16 is more important than Article 12 ?
      It (no. 12) clearly states that "if no provision of the articles require it to have more than one director", and...
      20-02-2019, 22:59 PM
    • Reply to Section 20 despite long term neglect of the buildings
      Garlicbutter
      I'm a Leaseholder who went through S20 major works. It started at £7k and spiralled to £42k (my share alone) due to unforeseen works.

Had I known more about the S20 process I would have sought advice from a solicitor early on.

Also had I known that lessees are able to object...
      20-02-2019, 22:25 PM
    Working...
    X