Late ground rent and subletting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

The freeholder, in chasing their late ground rent fee, are pointing to a clause on which I could use some clarification:

(In the Covenants by the lessee)
    To pay and discharge all rates taxes assessments charges duties and other outgoings whatsoever whether parliamentary parochial or of any other kind which now are or during the Term (excepting those chargeable on the Lessor for rents receivable) and relating to the Term shall be assessed or charged on or payable in respect of the Demised Premises or any part thereof or by the landlord tenant owner or occupier thereof

I interpret this as an agreement to be responsible for council tax etc... Not even closely related to their trumped up admin fees. Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Is it really worth all the hassle for £60 when you were delinquent on two payments and they had to chase you?

Comment

You are correct, the clause does relate to the payment of bills for council tax etc and does not permit the freeholder to make an administration charge,

The Land Registry charge £3.00 for a search so the sum of £60.00 is unreasonable.

I suggest that you ask the freeholder to either withdraw the unreasonable charges or apply to the FTT (as advised by andydd) to determine (1) whether or not the charge is payable and (2) whether or not the amount is reasonable. I agree that you should warn that you will apply for your costs if the FTT determines in your favour.

Comment

Hi,

Should I
          A) Apply to the Tribunal myself
          B) Inform them that if they will not drop it I will apply and look to recover costs
          C) Inform them that they must apply if they wish to continue to chase the charge

If they apply, I am sure they will look to add their own 'legal fees' onto what is owed. These will also, I believe, be unrecoverable, but should the decision go the wrong way at the tribunal I could be on the hook for $$$

Comment

As andydd has stated, you should invite them to make the application. That way the burden of proof lies with them.

If they do not make the application and do not reverse the charges, you may need to make an application yourself but at least you will be able to state that they were invited to make an application and it is reasonable to assume that they were not confident of succeeding therefore you had no alternative but to make an application yourself.

When making future payments, you should make it clear exactly what you are paying and state that payments may not be accepted for any other purpose and in particular disputed charges.

If you are satisfied that the lease does not permit the charges and the charges are unreasonable anyway, there should be no/little risk of losing the decision.

The FTT could award costs against the losing party whoever makes the application.

Comment

If it were me..Im not sure I'd make an application solely due to the fact the cost is a few hundreds pounds...whilst its possible that a FTT make ask the FH to refund it..its not certain.

Id just sit tight and see what their next step is......unfortunately..it sometimes ends in a viscous circle of charges on top of charges.
              Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

I don’t think that the FTT has the jurisdiction to say that a sum should be refunded, all they can determine is whether or not an amount is payable and whether or not an amount is reasonable. It is then up to you to recover the amount.

Comment

It's the mounting sum of the charges that worries me. If they continue to invent charges so that the amount grows, I don't want to end up liable for some impossible sum that I cannot afford to pay

Comment

Unfortunately, that is exactly what some freeholders rely on, they compound the unreasonable charges and then hope that you will submit into paying in full in order to avoid the hassle of applying to the FTT.

Have you checked to see if the freeholder has been involved in previous FTT cases?

Your options appear to be (1) pay in full, (2) try to negotiate by offering to pay what you consider to be a reasonable amount (3) ask them to make an application to the FTT, (4) make an application to the FTT yourself or (5) sit back and wait to see what happens next

Comment

Having had a quick google, it does appear that they have been involved in FTT cases before. Mostly to do with subletting charges.

They have a 2007 case in which they were successful in demanding a sublet fee (linked below) which they have supposedly pointed to even since the 2012 "£40 is reasonable" decision.

Comment

"Although the additional admin fees were applied to your account as per the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002, I am willing to remove the remaining £60.00 to settle this matter."

^^ From their latest email.

Many thanks to all for your help. I invited them to apply to the FTT, having pointed out that they were incorrect, pointing to relevant cases:

- Upper Tribunal case number LRX/92/2015
                        Which shows that defensive clauses only protect landlord from 3rd party costs, not their own work done in chasing debt

- LVT case CAM/00 KF/OCE/2010/0009
                        Which shows that unless there is a specific and unambiguous clause in the lease stating that an admin charge is to be paid, it is not owed.

I pointed out that they were now in breach of the lease for preventing "quiet enjoyment of the property" and said that should they apply to the FTT I would seek costs for time spent dealing with their harassment.

Hope the above can be of help to others in the future

For me, next step will be bringing the sub-let back into compliance with the lease. I expect there to be some large demands for fees here too which I will have to fight - I may look for further advise down the line!

Comment

Well done, it is always nice to know when someone succeeds in recovering an unreasonable charge. From their point of view, it is easier to write it off rather than face an adverse decision by the FTT. Sadly many leaseholders just pay up.

Comment

Hi, Please can you signpost where I can find details of the above cases.
                            Thank you.

Comment

RPTS and Lease Advice sites have archive of decisions, can be a bit tricky to track down stuff though.
                              Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

And please, get your Royal Mail redirect back in place, and keep it in place...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Priorities for Leasehold Reform
                                  eagle2
                                  In no particular order
                                  All service charge monies must be held in a separate client bank account, someone eg the regulator should carry out random checks that it is being held correctly
                                  All reserve fund monies must be held in a separate client bank deposit account, monies paid in immediately...
                                  25-07-2019, 09:20 AM
                                • Reply to Priorities for Leasehold Reform
                                  eagle2
                                  I do not hate everything leasehold at all, I just want a fair deal for leaseholders.

At present, there is much which is wrong, which needs to be addressed. The vultures who abuse the system by inflating costs for their own benefit at the expense of leaseholders need to be stopped. The vultures...
                                  23-08-2019, 08:30 AM
                                • are online surveys allowed to be used to poll / vote in RMC / RTM?
                                  Fred22
                                  My flats have people i'm sure who live away. Neighbours can't confirm who is renting or leaseholder. It's a RMC. It got me thinking about votes of the members and how to get them. An online survey seemed practical (we do it at work). Has anyone know if a survey can be used as a way of voting for things,...
                                  22-08-2019, 19:11 PM
                                • Reply to are online surveys allowed to be used to poll / vote in RMC / RTM?
                                  eagle2
                                  I agree that everyone must be allowed to participate and that is the problem, not everyone has access to online facilities .Some people actually prefer the old fashioned idea of meeting and speaking to members.
                                  23-08-2019, 07:44 AM
                                • Reply to Priorities for Leasehold Reform
                                  ram
                                  Putting aside your utter hate of anything leasehold.

Directors of ANY Limited company, are there to make the decisions.
                                  If you want all leaseholders to decide on things, you make them all directors ( and don't come back saying they can all vote as leaseholders at a meeting convened
                                  23-08-2019, 07:40 AM
                                  AndrewDod
                                  Well, maybe sort of. For example shareholders do not have to accept E-mail as an address for service.

Questioning of decisions by companies has nothing at all to do with whether everyone has the opportunity to participate. It is rule/law based....
                                  23-08-2019, 06:33 AM
                                • Fire escape
                                  Paulsen
                                  The freeholder and their managing agent have neglected the wooden fire escape which now needs major repairs. I have emailed them several times during the past two years including pictures. My flat is a leasehold first floor flat in a converted house where the ground floor flat comes with the freehold....
                                  22-08-2019, 15:35 PM
                                • Reply to Fire escape
                                  Section20z
                                  Sounds like your property is lacking H&S & Fire inspections, request managing agent complies with legislation or ask you local authority housing standards department to intervene or the fire brigade. I doubt it can be removed.
                                  23-08-2019, 06:17 AM
                                  Section20z
                                  There's nothing to stop you having online meetings (if not prohibited by your constitution - which is unlikely for an RMC) so you can teleconference on whatsapp or similar.
                                  You just need to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to participate so decisions can't be questioned subsequentl...
                                  23-08-2019, 06:10 AM
                                  eagle2
                                  Regarding formal meetings of members. you can send out and receive proxy forms by email, as long as the notice of the meeting states that is an option. You should keep a written record of decisions made by members so the proxy forms should be retained so that they may be produced if necessary,
                                  23-08-2019, 05:48 AM
                                Working...
                                X