Freeholder not wanting to repair windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder not wanting to repair windows

Some years ago, the council freeholder charged us under capital works bill to put in new windows for the whole block.

Now, the hinges and the opening mechanism not working on the window and one window is not opening at all. Of course the council are trying to tell us that it's our responsibility to repair it and they are only responsible for repairing the window 'frame'.

The lease says that the landlord covenants to repair:

the structure of the managed buildings and in particular but without prejudice to the generality thereof the roofs foundations external and internal walls the window frames (but not the interior faces of each such parts of the external or internal walls as bound the Flat or the rooms therein or glass in the windows)...

The hinges are what? Surely part of the frame?

Hmm. But who is the freeholder going to charge for the repairs? Your neighbours? That won't make you very popular, will it? I'd crack on and do the repairs yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      Hmm. But who is the freeholder going to charge for the repairs? Your neighbours? That won't make you very popular, will it? I'd crack on and do the repairs yourself.
      I'm sure you wouldn't if you had paid for working windows and were delivered a dud.

As for popularity you should know that correspondence with the council is covered by data protection.

Comment

It will be cheaper to do it yourself..so thats what Id do.
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

The window hinges, window catch and door locks are consumable items replaced by the leaseholder.

Comment

Contact a 24/7 emergency glass repair services when it is needed and it should be charged to the landlord.
            At River City Glass our Emergency Glass Replacement experts will give you customised solutions for your needs; we understand the time-sensitive nature of emergencies and we act pro-actively to get the job done!

Comment

If you don't "oil" all hinges, catches, sliders, pantographs ( sometimes each side of the window ) and every slider, hinge rivet, thingumabob retainer that the sliders locate into, and those that have flat bars sliding into the window frame, and underneath the window will get progressively stiffer. ( fact )

Use 3 in 1 spray oil, or if that not available, then WD 40 ( WD 40 wont stick long enough for as is too thin to give long lasting lubrication, but better than nothing )
              Ours have 22 such pivots, sliders, locking tabs, so the more its neglected the more pivots etc there are to stiffen.

Lubricate everything that moves, sldes, rests into etc. Open and close everything after oiling, and WORK it lose. I got a small 3 in 1 spray, with plastic tube ( if required ) to get into the frame for £ 1 at the Pound store.
              This reply has cost me extremely more that £ 1, so go get some oil. You may have to hang out the window if full width bar sliders are underneath.

see
              https://www.locksonline.com/image/cache/product-image/Locksonline_911.59.131P1-228x228.jpg
              Locksonline_911.59.131P1-228x228.jpg

7 pivots and one slider EACH side ( that's 16 just on those )

Comment

This thread is two years old, guys.

Comment

Got caught out this time as I too usually mention same.

Comment

I doubt you'd get quick service, the spam is for a glazing company in Austrailia.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Permission to let problems
                      by sid1956
                      Thanks Gordon - technically you are right although Underlease and Sub-Lease are apparently synonymous. It seems clear that in the lease "underlet" means "sublet". I wouldn't want to have to argue against this interpretation at Tribunal.

The £50 registration fee is...
                      11-07-2020, 20:34 PM
                    • Permission to let problems
                      by sid1956
                      Hi
                      Wondered if someone could help with some advice please.

My long leasehold flat has been rented for a few years. By oversight prior permission was not sought from freeholder in advance. The lease says that prior permission must be sought and a fee of £45 paid for each sublet....
                      28-06-2020, 21:43 PM
                      by sid1956
                      Thanks Lawcruncher. What do you think of the Freehold Managers Nominees Ltd. and Piatti (2012) Appeal?. This seems to have ruled that a "variable administration charge" can be made by the Landlord even if not provided for in the Lease, as long as it is based on reasonable costs incurred....
                      11-07-2020, 20:24 PM
                    • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                      by Macromia
                      There is probably very little that you can do if they are deliberately 'playing games', except to make sure that you keep full records of everything that you have done to try to settle - with evidence that will support what you say if they dispute this in court.
                      It is probably best not to have...
                      11-07-2020, 20:20 PM
                    • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                      by KingstonBee
                      Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
                      10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
                    • Agency has drawn down and kept money from our electricity account - can they do that?
                      by tigerprawn
                      6 flats here - managed by agency appointed by the freeholder.

after *7 years* of estimated elec bills we overpaid by a fortune and had a positive balance.

agency and freeholder fell out over money (and other things)

looks like the agency have drawn down our positive...
                      11-07-2020, 19:11 PM
                    • Reply to Agency has drawn down and kept money from our electricity account - can they do that?
                      by Macromia
                      Presumably the electricity bills are for a communal electricity supply for lighting in communal corridors, etc.?

It is also likely the case that any money owed to the managing agents is either money that they believe they are owed for managing the property, or money they have paid out for...
                      11-07-2020, 19:59 PM
                      by Gordon999
                      According to the dictionary, "underlet" means letting below market value whilst "sublet" mean letting to another person.

This covenant does not require you to pay a registration fee. Also the covenant wording does not require you to serve notice of sublet....
                      11-07-2020, 19:19 PM
                    • Ews
                      by Grass is Greener
                      Hello,

We are an RTM with 209 flats across three separate buildings.

Our managing agent has told us that we must get an EWS check. This is due to new rules put in place, following Grenfell.

They say that leaseholders will not be able to get mortgages if we do not...
                      15-06-2020, 16:30 PM
                    • Reply to Ews
                      by Fire Risk Assessor
                      Well I can tell you that there are only around 50 people in the uk who are qualified to do them, less that are willing to do them, and ever fewer who are insured to do them. The system is a mess. Strangely the form was developed by one of the few companies qualified to carry them out....
                      11-07-2020, 16:11 PM
                    Working...
                    X