Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder has no limited company - what are my options

Dear Fellow Property Hub Forum Member,

I am in a bit of a pickle as I am in the process of selling my flat and during this, it has transpired that the landlord, who lives in the same house, has not set up a company to manage any service charges, repairs, etc. He always emailed me when the annual service charge was due and provided the relevant paperwork such as house insurance policy and electricity bill so I could pay my share to his bank account.

The landlord and myself are friends so it never bothered me to handle this more informal but now the buyer's solicitor is asking for an accounts overview over the last 3 years of service charge but the freeholder cannot provide it. All he can do at the moment is list all the relevant charges and provide the proof for insurance and electricity usage for the common areas of the building.

I am concerned that this could derail the process and that the buyer pulls out.

Question: What are the available options here?
    1. Can the freeholder create the relevant invoice and proof that payments have been received while he is setting up a limited company?
    2. Any other recommendations on how to solve this?

Many Thanks

There is no legal requirement to have a limited company, unless the lease requires one.

The accounts you are talking about are the service charge accounts and they relate to money that any limited company would not own.

A freeholder of residential property needs to be able to put together accountant certified accounts, for the last year, in a period of between one and six months, depending on when requested, otherwise they will commit a criminal offence if a leaseholder requests them.

The contractors create the invoices, not the freeholder (although it is possible to self bill, with the written agreement of the contractors). If there are no invoices, the accounts will need to be reconstructed from bank statements.

Although not actually currently illegal (the legislation that would have made it illegal was never commenced), keeping service charge trust money in the freeholder's bank account is very bad practice. Best current practice requires a separate account and that you notify the bank that the account contains monies held it trust.

Generally it is up to the buyer as to whether to ignore unsatisfactory responses to solicitors' enquiries, although their lender will probably insist on the accounts.

Comment

leaseholder64 many thanks for this. I will sit down with the freeholder since there is quite a lot to sort out.

Comment

I second LH64...whether an individual or a Ltd Company shouldn't make any difference. .it just appears your FH has been shoddy with the paperwork.
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Why are you unable to summarise the charges for the last 3 years and ask the freeholder to sign the summary?

An accountant is not required unless there are more than 4 leaseholders.

Strictly, the freeholder should be complying with the lease but if it is permitted, he can simply supply a list of expenditure at the end of the year and allocate it to the leaseholders, which is more or less what he appears to have done on an informal basis.

Comment

I think the real question is what lenders will accept.

Comment

Its not the lender, it is the purchaser who is making the enquiry to ensure that the charges are reasonable. He should be pleased that the costs are kept to a minimum and the cost of an accountant is not involved.

Comment

Lenders also ask for the last three years' accounts. I've heard of this happening for remortgages, not just for initial purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                  Lenders also ask for the last three years' accounts. I've heard of this happening for remortgages, not just for initial purchases.
                  Please read the initial post "the buyer's solicitor is asking for an accounts overview over the last 3 years of service charge"

All that is required is a summary of the service charges for the last 3 years. It does not need to be in the form of a full set of accounts and no accountant is required.

Comment

What has probably actually happened is that the solicitor has issued form LPE1, which asks for "The last 3 years published Service Charge accounts". There is a "N/A" option on the check list, but I would suggest that failing to provide them would put off any lender. A cash buyer is likely to be much more flexible in what they accept, or whether they care about their omission.

Even if LPE1 wasn't used, I imagine that they would want the same sort of information.

Comment

It is standard procedure for a purchaser to enquire about the level of service charges. There is no required format and a simple summary which can be confirmed by the freeholder will usually suffice.

Comment

Please see lpe1-specimen.pdf .These are the standard questions that sellers get asked. As well as 4.1.1, which asks the current charge, there are also requests for three years of accounts (8.1), budgets (8.4), and budgets in default of accounts (8.5).

Comment

I have seen many replies to these questionnaires and the questions should not be taken too literally, the buyer will usually be grateful for any information received.

Instead of considering hypothetical questions, lets deal with the OP which I have answered at posts 5 and 9 above.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change to service charge apportionment
                            Pergola
                            I live in a block of flats in which all the leaseholders are also directors in the freehold company. The long leases for each leaseholder set out how the service charge is to be apportioned with different flats paying different amounts.
                            If the freehold company wants to change how the service...
                            23-01-2019, 23:00 PM
                          • Reply to Change to service charge apportionment
                            JK0
                            Nah. I believe you need 100% agreement or a ruling from the FTT.
                            23-01-2019, 23:45 PM
                          • How much notice for service charge payment?
                            Debsmith
                            We have recently changed managing agents. Historically our payment was due at end of January for 12 months. We also had the option to pay monthly or half-yearly.
                            Today I received demand for payment by 1/1 for full amount. How much notice should we get for paying this? We have 2 working days. Also...
                            29-12-2018, 11:32 AM
                          • Reply to How much notice for service charge payment?
                            Debsmith
                            Hi
                            Just adding this: based on this extract from the lease, the managing agent tells us monthly payments are not allowed:

“service charge payment dates” The 1st January and 1st July in each year or such other date or dates as the Manager shall decide.

Is he correct...
                            23-01-2019, 20:48 PM
                          • Leasehold extension
                            Dawnr
                            Have 60 years left on lease. Freeholder is saying they will not confirm price for renewing lease due to me not meeting the lease requirements which state that every 20 years the court yard should be re-ashpelted. To date this has not been done. Can freeholder refuse on this basis?
                            23-01-2019, 18:41 PM
                          • Reply to Leasehold extension
                            Dawnr
                            Yes have already instructed surveyor so hopefully will get it sorted soon. Thanks
                            23-01-2019, 20:46 PM
                          • Water charges
                            pernes
                            Are there and if so what are the benefits of the managing agent being a reseller of our water and sewerage supplies? Looking back over the accounts there appears to be a high charge for these services, our service charge includes the water rates based on the lease %.

Does...
                            18-01-2019, 22:15 PM
                          • Reply to Water charges
                            pernes
                            Thanks for the reply. So based on the leaflet (listed below) these are the six ways they must resell, I have checked the lease and it states 1/36 if only one metered supplies the building, which as you say may be in the spirit of the law and, that is what the lease states., just still unsure why the...
                            23-01-2019, 19:48 PM
                            JK0
                            Oh, well, that's his problem that he didn't organise the tarmac work. I suggest you get a valuation from a surveyor, and then get your solicitor to issue the necessary papers.
                            23-01-2019, 19:19 PM
                            Dawnr
                            In addition to this the freeholder has instructed a dilapidation report to be carried out and says that the cost of repairs will be in excess of £50k!!!
                            23-01-2019, 18:55 PM
                          Working...
                          X