Consent to Alter lease - Help!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Consent to Alter lease - Help!

    we are considering buying a flat in Brighton where the loft is demised to the lease but we are likely to get planning for rear dormer.

    The lease states that the loft is demised.
    It also states that internal alterations needs consent not to be unreasonably with held.

    The dormer is however a structural alteration.

    1) Can landlord say no to a structural even if the alterations improve the lease and increases value of reversion?
    2) If 1)above answer is no he cant refuse can he charge the same premium to alter /extend the dormer only as he would if the loft was loft was not demised if so I guess the demised loft is wortless? In other words can landlord charge whatever for external structural alterations? Thanks

Latest Activity


  • First time buyer & lease
    We are about to buy our first property and a little disappointed by our conveyencer, despite their glowing reviews on Trust Pilot etc.

    The property was built in 2002 as a pupose built block of flats originally with 125 year leases. The vendor has lived there for 5 years and other than one...
    16-07-2018, 15:24 PM
  • Reply to First time buyer & lease
    If someone would give me the extra £200k or such for a freehold house in the area we want to be in I gladly would. After 24 years of the national lottery I still havent won and so have to be realistic of what I can afford, if I played it more than once or twice a year maybe we'd not need to have this...
    19-07-2018, 07:16 AM
  • Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
    I am a BTL leaseholder. My tenant did not send me the ground rent and service charges demands and court notices. Unlike the previous freeholder this one did not send me any papers at my residential home. Therefore the bailiffs were sent and the property taken by the freeholder. I am willing to pay all...
    15-07-2018, 21:25 PM
  • Reply to Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
    The most important thing to do as others have already said is to get professional advice from a specialist solicitor on leasehold matters.

    An application to the court for relief is available upto six months have the landlord has gained possession with a bailiff . The landlord can apply...
    18-07-2018, 22:42 PM
  • Reply to First time buyer & lease
    If you are not happy to pay the service charge , then don't buy leasehold and instead look for a freehold house
    18-07-2018, 20:45 PM
  • Reply to Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
    You need to explain more. Why were letters sent to your tenant? Did you give the FH your actual address ? As mentioned forfeature is very rare and there would be a while host of court dates first...I assume you knew nothing of them.

    I'd get in contact with a solicitor ASAP and show him...
    18-07-2018, 19:43 PM
  • Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
    Leaseholder GRS
    I moved to a new address and totally forgot to pay my half year ground rent to E&M that is £100 on 1st March. All the letter chase were sent to my old address and I didn't get passed on by my tenants in time, only got them yesterday.

    The first reminder asks for ground rent plus 50...
    16-07-2018, 12:34 PM
  • Reply to Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
    Extra costs are only payable IF the lease allows and IF demanded correctly with Administration Charges - Summary of Rights attached..the s146 clause can't be used for amounts under £350 also note this figure can't be bumped up by admin/legal charges. From what your lease days all you may owe extra...
    18-07-2018, 19:39 PM
  • Disputed Service Charge
    I've had a good search through the forum but can't quite find the answers I'm looking for... So here goes!

    I purchased a leasehold flat in 2013 (ex-Local Authority and they remained the freeholder) which had a section 20 notice estimate for £7,000 (per flat - 4 of them but we are the only...
    17-07-2018, 14:37 PM
  • Reply to Disputed Service Charge
    You are right to pursue the formal complaint against the Council and you are right to chase them on a regular basis.

    To be fair to the Council, it cannot be easy for them to deal with the complaint if documents are in the hands of the managing agents and letters and notices were issued...
    18-07-2018, 10:15 AM