Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building insurance excess leasehold flat

Hi,
    could someone please advise me on the following.
    If there is a leak in leasehold flats and the damaged flat makes a claim and pay their excess, can they claim the excess back + interest from the flat where the leak originated? Would they win in small claims court?
    Thank you

Probably not with interest, and only if the flat above was negligent, i.e. a reasonable person would have known there was a leak, or at least that a leak was probable, and they did not stop it within a reasonable time of when they should have become aware of it.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      They seem to think they can charge 8% according to their lease?
      Does it make any difference if the leak happened 3 years ago and this is the first time they are asking for the money?

Comment

8% sounds like the small claims court rate, which only runs from when the claim form is submitted: https://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-le...-interest.html

Comment

Hi can anyone help. I have a top floor maisonettes and there was a leak into the flat below. There is nothing in the lease to say I’m responsible for the excess but I was willing to pay it until I found out it was £2500. Does anyone know if I can challenge this amount with the First Tier tribunal as it seems an exorbitant amount to me?

many thanks

Comment

Hi, I had the same issue and my neighbour has now taken me to court.
            I'll let you know the outcome.

Comment

Hannah,

The alternative to a high excess is a high premium or no insurance at all. Excesses for escape of water tend to be big in flats, because that is the cause of most claims in flats.

You should look at your contents insurance. If you have the right options, they may cover the excess, or help you to defend against the claim. You'll definitely lose your no claims in the first case, and might in the second.

Comment

Hi Leaseholder thanks for
                the reply. Unfortunately there is no contents insurance as it’s rented unfurnished. From everything I have read unless provided for by the lease the norm is for the excess to be covered by the service charge which is nearly &300 per month. Also the highest excess I have come across is £1000 so £2500 seems extremely high to me. I’m going to approach the owners for the other flat as I have not even been informed of what the damage is to see whether it’s something I can pay for without going through the insurance at all.

many thanks for the help

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                  by JK0
                  Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
                  18-05-2022, 06:11 AM
                • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                  by Ldawg
                  The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
                  24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
                • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                  by fos333
                  This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
                  17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
                • RTM director service charge arrears
                  by ARG
                  Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
                  17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
                • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                  by vmart
                  Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
                  17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
                • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                  by Tony-Edwards
                  Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
                  17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
                • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                  by vmart
                  The RTM can make a money claim online but as this enquiry concerns service charges the lessee will have the right to have the service charges determined unless already agreed. Depending upon the lessee's response to the claim, the County Court may refer the claim to the FTT.

What are the...
                  17-05-2022, 20:54 PM
                • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                  by Ldawg
                  Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor...
                  17-05-2022, 20:22 PM
                • Lease Extension - Relativity
                  by comm1985
                  Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act...
                  17-05-2022, 15:12 PM
                • Reply to Lease Extension - Relativity
                  by comm1985
                  I for one would appreciate a more stable approach in deriving the premium...

In this instance what would

1. The sensible premium be?

A)£32000 (based on the value the actual short lease was just sold for i.e Relativity 65%)
                  or
                  B)£20,000 (based on graph...
                  17-05-2022, 20:19 PM
                Working...
                X