Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building insurance excess leasehold flat

Hi,
    could someone please advise me on the following.
    If there is a leak in leasehold flats and the damaged flat makes a claim and pay their excess, can they claim the excess back + interest from the flat where the leak originated? Would they win in small claims court?
    Thank you

Probably not with interest, and only if the flat above was negligent, i.e. a reasonable person would have known there was a leak, or at least that a leak was probable, and they did not stop it within a reasonable time of when they should have become aware of it.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      They seem to think they can charge 8% according to their lease?
      Does it make any difference if the leak happened 3 years ago and this is the first time they are asking for the money?

Comment

8% sounds like the small claims court rate, which only runs from when the claim form is submitted: https://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-le...-interest.html

Comment

Hi can anyone help. I have a top floor maisonettes and there was a leak into the flat below. There is nothing in the lease to say I’m responsible for the excess but I was willing to pay it until I found out it was £2500. Does anyone know if I can challenge this amount with the First Tier tribunal as it seems an exorbitant amount to me?

many thanks

Comment

Hi, I had the same issue and my neighbour has now taken me to court.
            I'll let you know the outcome.

Comment

Hannah,

The alternative to a high excess is a high premium or no insurance at all. Excesses for escape of water tend to be big in flats, because that is the cause of most claims in flats.

You should look at your contents insurance. If you have the right options, they may cover the excess, or help you to defend against the claim. You'll definitely lose your no claims in the first case, and might in the second.

Comment

Hi Leaseholder thanks for
                the reply. Unfortunately there is no contents insurance as it’s rented unfurnished. From everything I have read unless provided for by the lease the norm is for the excess to be covered by the service charge which is nearly &300 per month. Also the highest excess I have come across is £1000 so £2500 seems extremely high to me. I’m going to approach the owners for the other flat as I have not even been informed of what the damage is to see whether it’s something I can pay for without going through the insurance at all.

many thanks for the help

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Building works & S20 process
                  by RichA
                  Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                  21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                  by scot22
                  It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
                  21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
                • collective enfranchisement
                  by flyingfreehold
                  Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
                  21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
                • Reply to collective enfranchisement
                  by Tipper
                  Ask lease-advice.org
                  21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
                • Reply to Levy
                  by scot22
                  Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
                  21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
                • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                  by Macromia
                  They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
                  21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
                • Changes to lease wording
                  by bigalxyz
                  In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
                  14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
                • Reply to Changes to lease wording
                  by Lawcruncher
                  If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
                  21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
                • Reply to Levy
                  by Macromia
                  ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
                  21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
                • Reply to Changes to lease wording
                  by Lawcruncher
                  The solicitor has said: "Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make to the leases once you have acquired the freehold? Any important amendments should be detailed in the PA so that the parties know they are bound to comply later on. Please do let me know your thoughts." That is...
                  21-05-2022, 16:49 PM
                Working...
                X