Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold purchase cost

Hi,

I recently purchased a leasehold house in West Yorkshire. The lease is for a duration of 700 years, of which more than 600 years are still remaining. After I bought the house, I sent a letter to the freeholder and informed them that I am the new owner, and also asked him to send me invoices for any ground rent to be paid in future. The freeholder did not respond for a long time, then after a year or so, I received a letter stating that they would be willing to make me an offer to buy the freehold rights. The price that they have quoted is £2500. Considering the fact that the ground rent is only £5.00 a year, I think the price that they quoted is too high.

Does anyone know if there is any legally prescribed formula for calculating the freehold price for a house?

Also, what would be a good price that I can offer the freeholder which is not "unreasonable" for them to consider?

Does that include their legal costs? If so, it may be reasonable.

Comment

The offer letter says "£2500 subject to contract" so I am not sure if there are additional costs involved.

But some of the articles I have read online seem to indicate that the offer price of the freehold is too high.

Comment

It is too high if it is just the premium, but may be reasonable if it is the total cost. The seller will not want to bear their own legal costs, given the advantage is almost all yours.

Most of the articles will simply be using net current value on the ground rent, and not including legal costs. (The value of the reversion will be small.)

Comment

Make an offer of £100 for the freehold title plus £600 contribution towards legal costs

https://decisions.lease-advice.org//...1-1000/983.pdf

Case Reference : Property : Applicants : Respondents :

Type of : Application FIRST-TIER TRIBUNAL PROPERTY CHAMBER (RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY) MAN/00CG/OC6/2016/0005

Comment

Gordon999,

That article is very useful - thanks for posting it on the forum

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• £150 late penalty fee
              amog78
              Our company has recently been charged £150 late penalty fee for failing to file our accounts on time. The person responsible for this refused to sign our accounts as he had resigned as a Director (although the accounts document had his name on it). The former Director made no attempt to inform anyone...
              21-05-2018, 16:33 PM
            • Reply to £150 late penalty fee
              AndrewDod
              Exactly. Service charge ledgers are never/should never be filed --- they have nothing to do with the Company as such. The Company (whether dormant or otherwise) still has to file accounts (even if dormant accounts). Failure to file accounts leads to an automatic initial £150 fine. Failure to file the...
              26-05-2018, 09:17 AM
            • Successful RTM claim
              skidder
              Hi all,

I wonder if anybody can be of assistance.

Cutting a long story short we have managed to obtain the RTM from a very aggressive freeholder. The right will transfer to us in August.

It is a small block of four converted one bedroom flats

We have...
              24-05-2018, 14:03 PM
            • Reply to Successful RTM claim
              skidder
              Thanks again Gordon999. Appreciated.

Yes I have last years Insurance policy which has the rebuild value and a terrorism clause.Shall l add the RPI to the price?

If you have time to read the below I would be very happy. In the meantime I have ordered this book:

26-05-2018, 08:47 AM
              leaseholder64
              Even freeholdingt RMCs don't have to file service charge accounts. Even dormant ones have to file statutory dormant accounts.

However, if does make one wonder if they are failing to implement L&T 1987 S42, or at least mixing the service charge and company monies.
              26-05-2018, 08:46 AM
            • Just to get a LH quote is expensive
              Brikel
              Hi all
              I have just had my annual request for leasehold payment which is just over £4 on a 999 year lease.
              The cost to just get a quote to buy the lease hold is £96 which is 22 x the annual leasehold cost.
              is this excessive or can they justify it for the administration work
              24-05-2018, 16:17 PM
            • Reply to Just to get a LH quote is expensive
              Brikel
              Sorry for not being clearer yes £4 per year ground rent and iam thinking of buying the freehold.
              Thanks for ll your help
              Bri...
              26-05-2018, 07:46 AM
            • Reply to Just to get a LH quote is expensive
              Gordon999
              This case may help you .

https://decisions.lease-advice.org//...1-1000/983.pdf
              26-05-2018, 02:58 AM
              Gordon999
              Is the company a freehold company receiving ground rent or RTM company responsible for the service charge only ?

RTM companies are usually dormant companies and don't need file any annual service charge account....
              26-05-2018, 02:53 AM
            • Reply to Successful RTM claim
              Gordon999
              Yes. This Code is the standard applied by FTT to judge the service of managing agents.

For fire regulations. you need to contact your local Fire station for the safety officer.

The buildings insurance is usually insured for the declared re-instatement value which is calculated...
              26-05-2018, 02:39 AM
            Working...
            X