Original Maintenance Company Refusing to Hand Over Accounts

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Original Maintenance Company Refusing to Hand Over Accounts

    Hi there,

    I'm new to these forums, so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. Myself and other leaseholders went through the RTM process last year as we weren't satisfied with the current maintenance company. During the process the original maintenance company tried everything to make sure we didn't succeed. They filed a Counter Notice with a nonsense reason and then withdrew it just before the tribunal, and later they also tried to not recognise the date for the RTM handover. Thankfully we now have the RTM in place and have appointed a maintenance company to run the services.

    However, we now have the problem that the original maintenance company are now ignoring us when it comes to the handover of accounts and any surplus funds.
    Individual Directors of the RTM company, the Director of the new maintenance company and their accountants have all tried to reason with the company to no effect. Any advice on how to deal with this situation would be really appreciated!

    Do what I did, you take them to court for theft, of property and money, if the following does not get results.

    2 of you ( Directors ) go to the old maintenance company, armed with proof that the management of the premises is now you.. You are directors of xyz company, and you farm out the running of the premises.
    You are the legal persons responsible for the leaseholders cash, company records, emails they have, communications, bank account details etc etc,
    And you demand the instant hand over of all company records to your company ( not the agents )

    If they do not hand anything over or still refuse to do anything, you get on the phone, in their offices, dial 999 and reprt a theft of company accounts and money. ( you will have a rough idea how much leaseholder monies should be in the bank.)

    All else has failed, therefore you have no other option but to do above,

    You are in the right, they are in the wrong.

    Let us know Tuesday how you got on.
    You take time off on Monday to go there.
    It's an emergency, as your money has been stolen.


      Additional to my post number 2.

      Has the freeholder told the old managing agent that they are no longer to be employed by him.
      Usually the freeholder had a company that owned the freehold, and that company delt with the running of the company, via employing an agent.

      The freeholder will still own the building, and issue leases as and when required, but no longer has the authority to to manage the place as that is now transferred to you, the R.T.M. company.
      The freeholder is still responsible to make sure the R.T.M. company.
      If you don't perform your duties in accordance ihe the law, then he can get back control.

      I would not be surprised if the freeholder is connected to the old M.A. ! ?


        It may be quicker to report "stolen bookkeeping records" by the old Management Co to the your Police Station.


        Latest Activity


        • £150 late penalty fee
          Our company has recently been charged £150 late penalty fee for failing to file our accounts on time. The person responsible for this refused to sign our accounts as he had resigned as a Director (although the accounts document had his name on it). The former Director made no attempt to inform anyone...
          21-05-2018, 16:33 PM
        • Reply to £150 late penalty fee
          Exactly. Service charge ledgers are never/should never be filed --- they have nothing to do with the Company as such. The Company (whether dormant or otherwise) still has to file accounts (even if dormant accounts). Failure to file accounts leads to an automatic initial £150 fine. Failure to file the...
          26-05-2018, 09:17 AM
        • Successful RTM claim
          Hi all,

          I wonder if anybody can be of assistance.

          Cutting a long story short we have managed to obtain the RTM from a very aggressive freeholder. The right will transfer to us in August.

          It is a small block of four converted one bedroom flats

          We have...
          24-05-2018, 14:03 PM
        • Reply to Successful RTM claim
          Thanks again Gordon999. Appreciated.

          Yes I have last years Insurance policy which has the rebuild value and a terrorism clause.Shall l add the RPI to the price?

          If you have time to read the below I would be very happy. In the meantime I have ordered this book:

          26-05-2018, 08:47 AM
        • Reply to £150 late penalty fee
          Even freeholdingt RMCs don't have to file service charge accounts. Even dormant ones have to file statutory dormant accounts.

          However, if does make one wonder if they are failing to implement L&T 1987 S42, or at least mixing the service charge and company monies.
          26-05-2018, 08:46 AM
        • Just to get a LH quote is expensive
          Hi all
          I have just had my annual request for leasehold payment which is just over £4 on a 999 year lease.
          The cost to just get a quote to buy the lease hold is £96 which is 22 x the annual leasehold cost.
          is this excessive or can they justify it for the administration work
          24-05-2018, 16:17 PM
        • Reply to Just to get a LH quote is expensive
          Sorry for not being clearer yes £4 per year ground rent and iam thinking of buying the freehold.
          Thanks for ll your help
          26-05-2018, 07:46 AM
        • Reply to Just to get a LH quote is expensive
          This case may help you .

          26-05-2018, 02:58 AM
        • Reply to £150 late penalty fee
          Is the company a freehold company receiving ground rent or RTM company responsible for the service charge only ?

          RTM companies are usually dormant companies and don't need file any annual service charge account....
          26-05-2018, 02:53 AM
        • Reply to Successful RTM claim
          Yes. This Code is the standard applied by FTT to judge the service of managing agents.

          For fire regulations. you need to contact your local Fire station for the safety officer.

          The buildings insurance is usually insured for the declared re-instatement value which is calculated...
          26-05-2018, 02:39 AM