A leaseholder breaching the terms of their lease what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A leaseholder breaching the terms of their lease what to do?

Hello everyone, need some advice. I bought the freehold to my building ( which also contain other two leasehold flats) last year. Recently by chance I discovered one of the other leaseholders have breached their terms of lease by 1. running a business from their flat. 2. did some alterations to the exterior wall of the building without prior consent from the previous freeholder. 3. placed down fake grass over a non-demised piece of land. Because she is also a neighbour, I spoke to her informally about the breaches, and now she has emailed back to ask for ' retrospective consent' for all her breaches without any conditions. I don't feel this is quite right?

My family has suggested making some demands rather than agreeing to waive her breaches without consequences. What would be a reasonable demand other than asking her to take down everything and stop running her business. i.e. to increase ground rent? or to pay a premium for all the breaches she has incurred, and how does one calculate what is a reasonable premium? Obviously I don't want to demand things unreasonably, but at the same time I don't feel I should just waive her breaches without compensation. Help!

What's the nature of the business. For many, low impact, businesses (e.g. a drop shipping E-bay merchant) the chances of enforcement are negligible. Would the council consider the planning violation. If not, there is probably no point in thinking about it.

In a flat, material alterations of the wall will require planning consent. Insist on that being obtained.

The third one sounds like a trespass, not a lease issue.

Comment

Presumably you've accepted ground rent/ SC while in knowledge of these breaches? Nothing you can do then. Frankly, they seem pretty minor to me.

Comment

You seem to be trying a bit of money-grabbing in my opinion. You can attempt to obtain 'compensation' all you like, but I doubt very much you'll get it.

Comment

Running a business from home can encompass a wide range. At one end of the scale it may mean working behind a keyboard with no visitors and aside from some paper correspondence arriving at the property there is no impact at all. At the other end of the scale having visitors turning up at the property and employees working in the flat. What is the impact in this particular case. If it is the former then I do not see a breach - otherwise thinking about work or taking phone calls while at home could fall within the category

With regard to the works to the external wall technically is probably a breach and you may need to know more about the reasons for the works before commenting further

with regard to the fake grass was it done to reduce ongoing maintenance?

you live at the property and in making requests to deal with these breaches do consider how this will impact on ongoing mainteance and management matters. The danger is that relations could easily polarise and a great deal of time and stress could be expended on matters going forward when the matters complained about may be quite minor in the overall scheme of things.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• ownership of loft space
            katya000
            Hello,I own a long leasehold purpose built edwardian maisonette on the first floor of a 2 storey building.There is a similar flat below me.The attic is directly above my flat and only accesible from my flat.
            my lease includes the roof and i have to maintain the roof and can recover 50% of any...
            19-10-2018, 10:17 AM
          • Reply to ownership of loft space
            Lawcruncher
            If you read this thread: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...-in-the-lease= you will see I refer to section 62 of the Law of Property Act 1925. In many cases section 62(2)...
            19-10-2018, 11:23 AM
          • Management fees
            desamax
            Hi our lease states the FH can take 15% of total expenditure for management fees.
            They have set up a separate company and have charged ££3.5k on £16k expenditure.
            Is this allowed within the clause in our lease below.
            Thanks

"To pay the cost of any managing agents...
            07-09-2018, 10:21 AM
          • Reply to Management fees
            eagle2
            Yes, it is better to separate the request for recognition from the request for information, If you expect to apply to the FTT, it is better to have clean correspondence without other issues complicating the matter.
            19-10-2018, 11:21 AM
            desamax
            Will do that Eagle, if it helps move thing on.
            19-10-2018, 10:54 AM
            desamax
            The request was made alongside the request for formal recognition of the newly formed RTA, that 83% of leaseholders have signed up to, 5 of the 6 flats, There are long running disputes mainly maintenance Issues and fees overcharging on the FH part, that they dismiss but its there in black and white....
            19-10-2018, 10:52 AM
            eagle2
            If that is the case, it is a simple matter to send 2 separate emails, one asking for the RTA to be recognised and a second one from a leaseholder asking for the information
            19-10-2018, 10:47 AM
            leaseholder64
            He wasn't making the request as a leaseholder, but as an RTA. I don't know why he didn't make a request as an individual leaseholder, but as an RTA, the RTA has to be be recognized by the freeholder, and the freeholder can withdraw that recognition at any time, except if an FTT has ruled that the TA...
            19-10-2018, 10:32 AM
            eagle2
            Their response is absurd, as a leaseholder you are entitled to receive the information requested. A separate legal entity appears to manage the property and a reasonable management fee for the service provided may be recovered under the service charge provisions. The freeholder is not entitled to charge...
            19-10-2018, 10:08 AM
            desamax
            Thanks Gordon999 we are aware the FH MA are one and the same, I made that point in my first post. What we cant understand is that they think they can do as they please, and to comment we are not fit to be involved in the RTA without is ludicrous....
            19-10-2018, 09:26 AM
          Working...
          X