Ground rent on a new lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground rent on a new lease

Hi All. First post, so apologies if this is inappropriate. Recently bought a flat with a little over 80 years on the lease and the freeholder has agreed to start negotiating despite not having owned the property for 2 years. They have proposed a ground rent increase of £5 per year, from about £100 currently until the end of the lease in 170 years. Obviously I am not going to be around at the end but is this rate of increase unreasonable or going to put off future buyers? In the early years it could be argued it is quite a strong increase, but in 20 years time, when the ground rent is about £200 p.a., that isn't such a strong percentage increase. Any thoughts anyone?

The NPV of that stream of income at 6% is £3,238, to rid yourself of the rent in 10 years time would cost £4,120 and in 20 years time £5,002

As the percentage increase falls over time I see it becoming less of an issue. The ground rent is unlikely to ever provoke a problem it seems reasonable

Comment

Thanks sgclacy, that's reassuring.

Comment

How much are you offering to pay for such a new lease including continued ground rent payment for 170 years ?

This is an informal extension offer to you because the 170 years statutory extension includes .peppercorn ground rent.

You should read a few of the Morning papers ( 21 Dec 2017) which reported the Housing Minister plans to reduce the cost of statutory lease extension.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• £150 late penalty fee
          amog78
          Our company has recently been charged £150 late penalty fee for failing to file our accounts on time. The person responsible for this refused to sign our accounts as he had resigned as a Director (although the accounts document had his name on it). The former Director made no attempt to inform anyone...
          21-05-2018, 16:33 PM
        • Reply to £150 late penalty fee
          AndrewDod
          Exactly. Service charge ledgers are never/should never be filed --- they have nothing to do with the Company as such. The Company (whether dormant or otherwise) still has to file accounts (even if dormant accounts). Failure to file accounts leads to an automatic initial £150 fine. Failure to file the...
          26-05-2018, 09:17 AM
        • Successful RTM claim
          skidder
          Hi all,

I wonder if anybody can be of assistance.

Cutting a long story short we have managed to obtain the RTM from a very aggressive freeholder. The right will transfer to us in August.

It is a small block of four converted one bedroom flats

We have...
          24-05-2018, 14:03 PM
        • Reply to Successful RTM claim
          skidder
          Thanks again Gordon999. Appreciated.

Yes I have last years Insurance policy which has the rebuild value and a terrorism clause.Shall l add the RPI to the price?

If you have time to read the below I would be very happy. In the meantime I have ordered this book:

26-05-2018, 08:47 AM
          leaseholder64
          Even freeholdingt RMCs don't have to file service charge accounts. Even dormant ones have to file statutory dormant accounts.

However, if does make one wonder if they are failing to implement L&T 1987 S42, or at least mixing the service charge and company monies.
          26-05-2018, 08:46 AM
        • Just to get a LH quote is expensive
          Brikel
          Hi all
          I have just had my annual request for leasehold payment which is just over £4 on a 999 year lease.
          The cost to just get a quote to buy the lease hold is £96 which is 22 x the annual leasehold cost.
          is this excessive or can they justify it for the administration work
          24-05-2018, 16:17 PM
        • Reply to Just to get a LH quote is expensive
          Brikel
          Sorry for not being clearer yes £4 per year ground rent and iam thinking of buying the freehold.
          Thanks for ll your help
          Bri...
          26-05-2018, 07:46 AM
        • Reply to Just to get a LH quote is expensive
          Gordon999
          This case may help you .

https://decisions.lease-advice.org//...1-1000/983.pdf
          26-05-2018, 02:58 AM
          Gordon999
          Is the company a freehold company receiving ground rent or RTM company responsible for the service charge only ?

RTM companies are usually dormant companies and don't need file any annual service charge account....
          26-05-2018, 02:53 AM
        • Reply to Successful RTM claim
          Gordon999
          Yes. This Code is the standard applied by FTT to judge the service of managing agents.

For fire regulations. you need to contact your local Fire station for the safety officer.

The buildings insurance is usually insured for the declared re-instatement value which is calculated...
          26-05-2018, 02:39 AM
        Working...
        X