Ground rent on a new lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground rent on a new lease

Hi All. First post, so apologies if this is inappropriate. Recently bought a flat with a little over 80 years on the lease and the freeholder has agreed to start negotiating despite not having owned the property for 2 years. They have proposed a ground rent increase of £5 per year, from about £100 currently until the end of the lease in 170 years. Obviously I am not going to be around at the end but is this rate of increase unreasonable or going to put off future buyers? In the early years it could be argued it is quite a strong increase, but in 20 years time, when the ground rent is about £200 p.a., that isn't such a strong percentage increase. Any thoughts anyone?

The NPV of that stream of income at 6% is £3,238, to rid yourself of the rent in 10 years time would cost £4,120 and in 20 years time £5,002

As the percentage increase falls over time I see it becoming less of an issue. The ground rent is unlikely to ever provoke a problem it seems reasonable

Comment

Thanks sgclacy, that's reassuring.

Comment

How much are you offering to pay for such a new lease including continued ground rent payment for 170 years ?

This is an informal extension offer to you because the 170 years statutory extension includes .peppercorn ground rent.

You should read a few of the Morning papers ( 21 Dec 2017) which reported the Housing Minister plans to reduce the cost of statutory lease extension.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RTM Company No contact
          jimcarver
          Does anyone know what action can be taken if the RTM company is not performing and refusing communication.

Long story short, of the 6 apartments Tenant A owns 2 properties and refusing to pay (for no other reason than he doesnt want to). Tenants B & C will not pay because Tenant A is...
          21-05-2019, 00:44 AM
        • Reply to RTM Company No contact
          jimcarver
          Forgive my ignorance but isn't this something that would require input from the RTM Director or other leasholders?...
          22-05-2019, 01:48 AM
          leaseholder64
          The last resort is that you apply to the FTT to appoint a manager.

You first have to write down what is wrong and set realistic timescales for fixing it.
          22-05-2019, 00:29 AM
          jimcarver
          leaseholder64 Tenant B is aware he can only sell at auction due to lack of insurance and has pointed out his annoyance that he will lose up to £50,000. I politely informed him it would be in his interest to start paying the service charge to get the building insured (Tenant D will pay and I think Tenant...
          22-05-2019, 00:11 AM
          leaseholder64
          The mortgagees should be on the public record, at the Land Registry, for £3 a lease.
          21-05-2019, 14:01 PM
          thevaliant
          I would suggest you sit down one evening and type a letter out.
          Detail the lack of insurance, the lack of willingness to maintain the building. List the problems with doing so - value of flats greatly diminished - likely all parties (including yourself) in breach of mortgage terms - the RTM company...
          21-05-2019, 13:51 PM
          leaseholder64
          They won't be a be able to sell except as a distressed property without the insurance, and a competent conveyancer would probably also warn people off based on the arrears. Questions about all of these normally get asked by the buyer's solicitors.
          21-05-2019, 11:16 AM
          Focus
          Hi, I don't have any sage advice to offer just some sympathy, I thought the directors in my building were bad but yours is on another level. I would agree that insurance is the main concern and probably a requirement for any mortgage, as the bricks and mortar must surely be the collateral.
          21-05-2019, 11:08 AM
        • Covenants relating to landscaped area
          holmesr923
          We live in a small development of 8 houses. When the building work was finished our local council place covenents on the site such as: no house to used for a business but more particularly that the landscaped area with trees and fencing had to be maintained in good order. The counci refused to adopt...
          20-05-2019, 11:48 AM
        • Reply to Covenants relating to landscaped area
          leaseholder64
          If the company is dissolved, the liquidators will try to sell the land. Failing that, it will eventually revert to the Crown, or the Duchy of Lancaster, etc., who will not maintain it, although an attempt will be made to sell it to some of the residents.

I'm totally confused by your description...
          21-05-2019, 10:12 AM
        Working...
        X