Ground rent on a new lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground rent on a new lease

Hi All. First post, so apologies if this is inappropriate. Recently bought a flat with a little over 80 years on the lease and the freeholder has agreed to start negotiating despite not having owned the property for 2 years. They have proposed a ground rent increase of £5 per year, from about £100 currently until the end of the lease in 170 years. Obviously I am not going to be around at the end but is this rate of increase unreasonable or going to put off future buyers? In the early years it could be argued it is quite a strong increase, but in 20 years time, when the ground rent is about £200 p.a., that isn't such a strong percentage increase. Any thoughts anyone?

The NPV of that stream of income at 6% is £3,238, to rid yourself of the rent in 10 years time would cost £4,120 and in 20 years time £5,002

As the percentage increase falls over time I see it becoming less of an issue. The ground rent is unlikely to ever provoke a problem it seems reasonable

Comment

Thanks sgclacy, that's reassuring.

Comment

How much are you offering to pay for such a new lease including continued ground rent payment for 170 years ?

This is an informal extension offer to you because the 170 years statutory extension includes .peppercorn ground rent.

You should read a few of the Morning papers ( 21 Dec 2017) which reported the Housing Minister plans to reduce the cost of statutory lease extension.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Management fees
          desamax
          Hi our lease states the FH can take 15% of total expenditure for management fees.
          They have set up a separate company and have charged ££3.5k on £16k expenditure.
          Is this allowed within the clause in our lease below.
          Thanks

"To pay the cost of any managing agents...
          07-09-2018, 10:21 AM
        • Reply to Management fees
          leaseholder64
          He wasn't making the request as a leaseholder, but as an RTA. I don't know why he didn't make a request as an individual leaseholder, but as an RTA, the RTA has to be be recognized by the freeholder, and the freeholder can withdraw that recognition at any time, except if an FTT has ruled that the TA...
          19-10-2018, 10:32 AM
        • ownership of loft space
          katya000
          Hello,I own a long leasehold purpose built edwardian maisonette on the first floor of a 2 storey building.There is a similar flat below me.The attic is directly above my flat and only accesible from my flat.
          my lease includes the roof and i have to maintain the roof and can recover 50% of any...
          19-10-2018, 10:17 AM
          eagle2
          Their response is absurd, as a leaseholder you are entitled to receive the information requested. A separate legal entity appears to manage the property and a reasonable management fee for the service provided may be recovered under the service charge provisions. The freeholder is not entitled to charge...
          19-10-2018, 10:08 AM
          desamax
          Thanks Gordon999 we are aware the FH MA are one and the same, I made that point in my first post. What we cant understand is that they think they can do as they please, and to comment we are not fit to be involved in the RTA without is ludicrous....
          19-10-2018, 09:26 AM
          desamax
          This is edited post #20 i was asked to remove names............

Furthermore would you be kind enough to provide us with the following information,

1. Copy of the Management agreement between Estates Limited & (Asset Management) Limited.

2. Please supply...
          19-10-2018, 07:07 AM
        • 3 flats: 2 Joint Freeholders, 1 Long-Leaseholder, Request to inspect the Accounts
          Novice Freeholder
          I am a joint freeholder of 3 flats (converted house).
          The Leaseholder has written to the other joint Freeholder requesting to see the accounts.
          The Leaseholder knows that I hold the accounts, but has not sent me the Section 22 Notice.
          She has my current address.
          I understand...
          18-10-2018, 12:04 PM
        • Reply to 3 flats: 2 Joint Freeholders, 1 Long-Leaseholder, Request to inspect the Accounts
          eagle2
          Above all else, you should comply with the terms of the lease.

You should prepare service charge accounts for each accounting period and these should be distributed to all leaseholders. See 7.10 of the RICS code of practice.

A summary of relevant costs under s21 LTA 1985 requires...
          19-10-2018, 06:46 AM
        • Management company got rid of my stuff
          WEw152
          My Mum has a long leasehold property. She offered to store our winter wheels for the car in the cellar where people were storing bikes and garden furniture. We did not see any signage to indicate that we weren't allowed to store things down there, and the pile of other people's stuff meant that we...
          18-10-2018, 18:58 PM
        • Reply to Management company got rid of my stuff
          eagle2
          I am surprised that you agreed to store valuables in an insecure area and apparently without permission. On the other hand, the management company had a duty to enquire who owned the alloy wheels, request that they be removed and give proper warning before they were disposed. You should enquire how...
          19-10-2018, 06:45 AM
        Working...
        X