Long term responsibilities of freeholder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term responsibilities of freeholder

I own the freehold to a building containing 6 flats. The building is around 120 years old and in poor condition. The RTM company are doing their best to maintain it, but I'm worried that in the long run, they won't be able to raise sufficient funds to do things such as replace the roof and the fire escape.

I'm worried that, as there are potential safety issues here, rather than just aesthetics, that I might be liable for the repairs/replacement, or any accidents that occur in the meantime.

Can anyone advise?

According to this JB Leitch article, a freeholder is not absolved from blame or responsibility if the Right to Manage Company fails to address repair/maintenance and health and safety issues ....
    If your property is managed by an RTM company and inadequate risk assessments have been carried out where does this leave you as a freeholder?

Comment

Are they not obeying the lease and the law (which is all they have to do). The way they raise funds is as the lease specifies. Or are your concerns beyond the lease?

Did you obey the lease before they became RTM?

Comment

1. I suggest you look at the cover under the buildings insurance policy to ensure it includes adequate cover for public liability.

2. The lease probably needs some addition clause in the service charge to have collection of sinking fund for roof renewal and fire escape. You should consider offering this .

Comment

As noted earlier the RTM does not absolve the freeholder from keeping a watching brief over the property. If the RTM fail to insure then the frreholder would be liable for their failure in the first instance although presumably he could take action against the directors for their failure in office

If they fail to carry out works that are needed you can make an application for the appointment of a manager. The application is to the FTT . Before doing so you will need to serve on them a notice giving them reasonable time to do the work . The RTM cannot advance that they don’t have funds as the leases would give them the power to raise it from the leaseholders . The FTT have the powers to appoint a manager usually a surveyor who will press on with the works

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            1. I suggest you look at the cover under the buildings insurance policy to ensure it includes adequate cover for public liability.
            The insurers also need to know the level of disrepair, as they will evade a public liability claim if it was due to disrepair for which they had not set an appropriately raised premium.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              Are they not obeying the lease and the law (which is all they have to do). The way they raise funds is as the lease specifies. Or are your concerns beyond the lease?

Did you obey the lease before they became RTM?
              I think my concerns are beyond the lease although yours and @gordon999's points give me something additional to get sorted.

Essentially there is a sinking fund, but I worry that it will never be enough even with substantial additional contributions from leaseholders, to cover the huge amount of work required over the next 24 months.

The RTM are, in my opinion, doing a good job in difficult circumstances. But I'm worried that eventually 1 or 2 of the leaseholders will decide that ultimately it is my responsibility and expect me to fund the repairs. Particularly if things like the fire escape start to fall apart.

Comment

What does FTT stand for?

Comment

First Tier Tribunal, specifically the property division. See the statutory notice that accompanies any payable service charge demand.

Comment

I would be questioning the RTM mob on why they aren't maintaining the property in accordance with the lease...that's assuming the lease has appropriate clauses covering maintenance and repair of course!

How about calling the RTM to a joint building inspection perhaps even with a property surveyor?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease extension not on Land Registry
                      JasUK
                      Hi,
                      I went to view a property which I am really interested in. I have a few issues I'd really appreciate some advice on:

1. The estate agent told me the lease is 150 years. I downloaded the title deed from the Land Registry. This states that the term of the lease is 99 years from...
                      13-10-2019, 12:27 PM
                    • Reply to Lease extension not on Land Registry
                      Gordon999
                      You and your solicitor should look at the terms of the new 150 years lease before you decide to buy.
                      19-10-2019, 00:40 AM
                    • Director of management company no longer an owner
                      oregano76
                      Hi, I am the secretary of the management company of a small block of 6 flats. The 6 owners are all directors. However, one of directors has transferred their ownership to their adult children, for tax purposes I imagine. However, she continues to live their and pay the bills etc (she is nice, and there...
                      18-10-2019, 17:29 PM
                    • Reply to Director of management company no longer an owner
                      ram
                      As above post number 2.

Never, ever make an incoming leaseholder automatically a Director unless the Articles say so.

Did the outgoing director ask your permission to assign the lease to his daughter, and was permission granted by you, acting for the company ?
                      If not,
                      18-10-2019, 23:35 PM
                    • Block Management Surplus Funds
                      ehood
                      Hello All,

Sorry if this isn`t the right place to post this but I am starting a block management company and am wondering what I do at the end of the year with any surplus service charge funds?

Thanks
                      18-10-2019, 14:24 PM
                    • Reply to Block Management Surplus Funds
                      ram
                      If you mean you have a surplus of "Service charge funds" which usually means you projected the forthcoming yearly maintenance costs, asked for the money, but the actual quotes and finished jobs were less than you estimated, then you either, write a cheque to the leaseholder, and give them...
                      18-10-2019, 23:24 PM
                    • Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 + Maintenance works?
                      ospreygnd
                      Hi all,

Not sure if I am posting in the right forums section.
                      Basically I had a letter from our Council advising they are considering necessary works on the block of flats (6 flat in all) where my property is at.
                      Total cost of improvements for the block is over £140k of which...
                      18-10-2019, 18:19 PM
                    • Reply to Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 + Maintenance works?
                      ram
                      A perspective.

Maintenance of flats ( the building, drive, walls, gardens, gutters, roofs, cladding, drains, etc, ) will be more than £ 50 per month for 6 flats. ( £ 600 per year each ) That's only £ 3600 income P.A.
                      To insure ( £1200 ), and Management fees ( £ 900 ) leaves
                      18-10-2019, 22:40 PM
                    • Liability for costs?
                      Harwood
                      I live in a block of four flats, 2 ground floor, 2 first floor.
                      The other 3 flats share a communal hallway/stairs, we have a private entrance ( a maisonette i believe - why do i feel all Hyacinth Bouquet!)

Anyway, within my lease i have no covenant giving me any kind of responsibility...
                      18-10-2019, 19:18 PM
                    • Reply to Liability for costs?
                      ram
                      This happened to some of our leases.
                      These were all typed on a type writer, every one, so therefore no just changing the names, flat numbers and dates on your word processor.
                      Same leases, but when copy typed, some had minor omissions.
                      If you have ever copy typed a document that is...
                      18-10-2019, 21:47 PM
                    Working...
                    X