Long term responsibilities of freeholder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term responsibilities of freeholder

I own the freehold to a building containing 6 flats. The building is around 120 years old and in poor condition. The RTM company are doing their best to maintain it, but I'm worried that in the long run, they won't be able to raise sufficient funds to do things such as replace the roof and the fire escape.

I'm worried that, as there are potential safety issues here, rather than just aesthetics, that I might be liable for the repairs/replacement, or any accidents that occur in the meantime.

Can anyone advise?

According to this JB Leitch article, a freeholder is not absolved from blame or responsibility if the Right to Manage Company fails to address repair/maintenance and health and safety issues ....
    If your property is managed by an RTM company and inadequate risk assessments have been carried out where does this leave you as a freeholder?

Comment

Are they not obeying the lease and the law (which is all they have to do). The way they raise funds is as the lease specifies. Or are your concerns beyond the lease?

Did you obey the lease before they became RTM?

Comment

1. I suggest you look at the cover under the buildings insurance policy to ensure it includes adequate cover for public liability.

2. The lease probably needs some addition clause in the service charge to have collection of sinking fund for roof renewal and fire escape. You should consider offering this .

Comment

As noted earlier the RTM does not absolve the freeholder from keeping a watching brief over the property. If the RTM fail to insure then the frreholder would be liable for their failure in the first instance although presumably he could take action against the directors for their failure in office

If they fail to carry out works that are needed you can make an application for the appointment of a manager. The application is to the FTT . Before doing so you will need to serve on them a notice giving them reasonable time to do the work . The RTM cannot advance that they don’t have funds as the leases would give them the power to raise it from the leaseholders . The FTT have the powers to appoint a manager usually a surveyor who will press on with the works

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            1. I suggest you look at the cover under the buildings insurance policy to ensure it includes adequate cover for public liability.
            The insurers also need to know the level of disrepair, as they will evade a public liability claim if it was due to disrepair for which they had not set an appropriately raised premium.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              Are they not obeying the lease and the law (which is all they have to do). The way they raise funds is as the lease specifies. Or are your concerns beyond the lease?

Did you obey the lease before they became RTM?
              I think my concerns are beyond the lease although yours and @gordon999's points give me something additional to get sorted.

Essentially there is a sinking fund, but I worry that it will never be enough even with substantial additional contributions from leaseholders, to cover the huge amount of work required over the next 24 months.

The RTM are, in my opinion, doing a good job in difficult circumstances. But I'm worried that eventually 1 or 2 of the leaseholders will decide that ultimately it is my responsibility and expect me to fund the repairs. Particularly if things like the fire escape start to fall apart.

Comment

What does FTT stand for?

Comment

First Tier Tribunal, specifically the property division. See the statutory notice that accompanies any payable service charge demand.

Comment

I would be questioning the RTM mob on why they aren't maintaining the property in accordance with the lease...that's assuming the lease has appropriate clauses covering maintenance and repair of course!

How about calling the RTM to a joint building inspection perhaps even with a property surveyor?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Need Help Negotiating Lease Extension Premium
                      Delectable1
                      Apologies for this long post.

I need your help negotiating my lease extension please.
                      My surveyor says there's no point negotiating it as the landlord's proposed figure on counter notice £18,000 (reduced to £16,000 after I rang and negotiated the counter notice) (Now £15,400 after...
                      26-04-2019, 01:08 AM
                    • Reply to Need Help Negotiating Lease Extension Premium
                      eagle2
                      If you are only £1,700 apart, I would definitely not incur any more costs, I suggest that you offer to split the difference and avoid the cost of a hearing , which will easily exceed the sum in dispute....
                      26-04-2019, 07:12 AM
                      Delectable1
                      It's a shame but he refuses to negotiate with the FH or surveyor.
                      I told him I didn't even say much before the counter offer was reduced.

His most recent response is below.

"The problem we have always had is that the extended lease value of £285,000 (freehold value...
                      26-04-2019, 07:11 AM
                      Tipper
                      I didn’t see landlord’s fees in all that?
                      26-04-2019, 07:09 AM
                      JK0
                      I wouldn't run up any more expense with him IIWY. He obviously can't be *rsed to do anything harder than plug figures into his computer.
                      26-04-2019, 06:46 AM
                    • Advice please
                      pinathecat
                      I live in a block of (11) privately owned flats.
                      I am a resident and a director of the flats maintenance company.
                      About 5 years ago, the company engaged the services of a local estate agency to purely run the maintenance side.
                      So They just collect the monthly fees and look after...
                      18-04-2019, 18:39 PM
                    • Reply to Advice please
                      eagle2
                      The agent has no defence to a claim to supply a director with information, so you should instruct the solicitor to take legal action if the agent ignores him, but I do not think that it will come to that.

I do not understand your point about the contractor. You are at the property 24x7...
                      26-04-2019, 06:10 AM
                    • Agents won't return RMC Company books
                      HazeltonLane
                      Our RMC removed our managing agents as Company Secretary on 1st April and in the notification letter we requested the return of the Company register/minute book etc by a signed-for service.

Over three weeks later… no sign of the documents. The agent says they'll attend to it and then...
                      25-04-2019, 09:21 AM
                    • Reply to Agents won't return RMC Company books
                      eagle2
                      I assume that the former agent has been paid in full and it is not exercising a lien over the books.

In that case, it seems to be saying that it is not giving priority to you and I would reply by saying that you will turn up at the agent’s premises to collect the books and call the police...
                      26-04-2019, 05:49 AM
                    • long lease extension - self representation
                      Landlord2018
                      I have pursued the statutory route for extending the lease of a flat and the negotiations have been delayed by the landlord. As the next stage will be going to court I am interested to know if anyone has represented themselves to avoid the high legal fees? Would I need to argue the details of how my...
                      10-04-2019, 12:47 PM
                    Working...
                    X