Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying freehold (short lease)

Hi,
    Looking for some advice. Struggling to find anything relevant through the usual methods.

I bought a house with just 30 years remaining on the lease. There was a ground rent review coming up 18 months after purchase in which the ground rent increased from £500 to £1500. The previous tenant agreed to serve notice and assign the benefit to me. The solicitor did not file the section 42 correctly and as a result that benefit is now lost and I have to wait two years since purchase.

1) how much more expensive will the freehold be to buy in two years time? (An approx % maybe?)
    2) if I bought before the ground rent review, would the freehold have been cheaper? (ie if I purchased the freehold as intended before the review, would it have been substantially cheaper because of the rent being £500 instead of £1500 - ignoring the fact that there will be two less years left on the lease)
    3) does the condition of the property affect the freehold value? Ie if the property was newly renovated vs a property in a poor state of repair

Thanks for any advice

The free guide may help you :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...ses-valuation/

Also read the Guardian issue 21 Dec 2017 about leasehold reform and to end leasehold houses

Comment

Purchasing before the rent review kicks in will not effect the principal that in valuing the stream of ground rent it will take into account the increase of ground rent in 18 months. It is a mathematical formula taking into account all future rises

if the ground rent rises to £1500 in 18 months the value of that income at a 5% discount rate ( the rate would be low as the rent is so high) would be at least £30k and on top of that there would be the value of the reversion and possibly marriage value of the term is below 80 years.

The oroperty is valued in the basis that the flat is in good order and has a long lease with a nil ground rent. The term often used is “in lease maintained condition “

the sums for your lease extension will be very significant and with the failure by the vendors solicitors you need to be taking legal advise and appointing solicitors who are experienced in such matters - sites such as this can only give pointers as to what to do.

If irthe price you paid for the flat did not take into account the likely premium you would be required to pay you need to take legal advice before instructing solicitors

it seems you may have been advised very badly

Comment

Thanks gordon - I've read the link above but not the guardian article above so will take a look.

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
        Purchasing before the rent review kicks in will not effect the principal that in valuing the stream of ground rent it will take into account the increase of ground rent in 18 months. It is a mathematical formula taking into account all future rises

if the ground rent rises to £1500 in 18 months the value of that income at a 5% discount rate ( the rate would be low as the rent is so high) would be at least £30k and on top of that there would be the value of the reversion and possibly marriage value of the term is below 80 years.

The oroperty is valued in the basis that the flat is in good order and has a long lease with a nil ground rent. The term often used is “in lease maintained condition “

the sums for your lease extension will be very significant and with the failure by the vendors solicitors you need to be taking legal advise and appointing solicitors who are experienced in such matters - sites such as this can only give pointers as to what to do.

If irthe price you paid for the flat did not take into account the likely premium you would be required to pay you need to take legal advice before instructing solicitors

it seems you may have been advised very badly
        Hi sgclacey.
        Thanks for the reply.
        I was aware of the significant cost of purchasing the freehold beforehand. The price I paid for the property reflected this significant cost.
        It was actually my own solicitor who failed to serve notice correctly.
        Am I correct in thinking that because of the failing by my solicitor to serve the notice correctly I am now financially disadvantaged?
        I will of course be taking legal advice in the coming weeks - as you say, just looking for some pointers.

Comment

yes I think you are!

Comment

The amount of your loss would over a 2 year period be approx 11% of the premium you should have paid plus property inflation over that period. So if property prices rose by10% over the period then your premium for a lease ext would be around 21% more

Comment

Thanks sgclacy - So as a result of my solicitor not serving the notice correctly - and me now having to wait another two years, I will have to pay another two years of ground rent along with an 11% higher premium? Ie if it was estimated to cost £50k to buy the freehold at completion I'll probably be looking at £55.5k in two years time?

(Does this 11% apply to leases with only 30 years remaining?)

Comment

The right to a statutory 90 years lease extension on a leasehold flat comes under L&T Act 1987 and 1993.

The right to 50 years lease extension or buying the freehold title for leasehold houses comes under the L&T Act 1967 .

You should download the free guide to cost of purchasing the freehold from www.lease-advice.org.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freehold consent for extension
                  rbtynter
                  Hi- hope someone can help with advice.

Situation:
                  I own a garden (sole-use of garden) flat in converted terrace house. I have a share of freehold split equally between all of the flats in the building through a management company that each flat owns an equal share of.
                  I...
                  23-03-2013, 10:59 AM
                • Reply to Freehold consent for extension
                  Clare McDowall
                  The demise only includes the interior of the flat hot ot the plaster on the walls but does not include the external and load bearing walls
                  21-10-2018, 22:46 PM
                • RTM Director Conflict of Interest
                  Hemendr
                  Hi,
                  I am a leaseholder of building with 87 flats. We created our own management company RTM company to manage our building. The process of creating the RTM was led by two leaseholders who then convinced 45 other leaseholders to become a member of that RTM company. They appointed themselves as...
                  21-10-2018, 08:35 AM
                • Reply to RTM Director Conflict of Interest
                  leaseholder64
                  I think what Gordon is trying to ask is whether there is anything in the lease that would allow the cost of concierge services to be charged to the service charge. It may say they must provide them, or it may say they may provide them. Otherwise, unless there is something else in the lease that could...
                  21-10-2018, 22:21 PM
                  Gordon999
                  Does the Lease agreement say the"Lessor" or "Management Company" shall include concierge service ?
                  21-10-2018, 22:17 PM
                  eagle2
                  A managing agent is appointed to deal with the day to day matters and comply with the lease and legislation. The directors should be supervising the managing agent and in order to do so I suggest that they refer to the RICS management code of practice if they do not do so already.
                  21-10-2018, 14:31 PM
                  leaseholder64
                  I don't see any service levels in that contract!

I would be concerned that this was actually a contract of service, which would trigger all sorts of employee rights as well as PAYE.

"Including taxes" seems weird, unless Mr x is registered for VAT and it is a contract...
                  21-10-2018, 14:25 PM
                  eagle2
                  I would hope that the “concierge duty” is defined and a list of specific duties is contained within the contract.

I do not think that you are entitled to make the assumptions simply because the managing agent has failed to respond to your questions.

You do not say whether or...
                  21-10-2018, 13:57 PM
                  Hemendr
                  Hi, all thank you very much for taking the time to reply,

The Concierge contract says "Contractor Service Level Agreement Concierge Service" in heading. It's a Legally binding agreement between Mr x (Concierge) and <my RTM company name> to carry out Concierge duty.
                  21-10-2018, 13:11 PM
                  eagle2
                  There is nothing wrong or unusual about a conflict of interest and it does not need to be referred to a meeting of members for approval. The Articles of Association will state whether or not a director is entitled to vote in a matter in which he has an interest. Ideally, he would abstain when a decision...
                  21-10-2018, 12:30 PM
                Working...
                X