Shared ownership house insurance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared ownership house insurance

I'm looking into an issue for someone who lives in a shared ownership house. His lease requires him to pay for a buildings insurance policy provided by the landlord. It appears the landlord (the housing association) has purchased a block policy, covering all of their properties within many miles of the house in question. The cost of insurance has doubled in one year, to over £400 for a modest two bedroom property.

This seems a particularly lazy and unfair policy, where leaseholders are subsidising excessive claims or perhaps flooding/subsidence/etc elsewhere.

I assume this is a legal approach to providing buildings insurance but is there any up to date advice on this topic, for example, compelling the landlord to seek the lowest cost? Or perhaps the ability for a leaseholder to provide their own insurance to the satisfaction of the landlord?

Thank you.

This looks very relevant!

The key question I'm asking is whether this piece of legislation can be used under shared ownership.

Read the free guide to leasehold house insurance at -

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
          Read the free guide to leasehold house insurance at -
          Thanks. I've read this and it deals with the use-case where the leaseholder is required to arrange insurance. My use-case is where the landlord sets up the insurance and leaseholder required to pay, however inefficient the landlord process may be.

You should read the lease and see if the wording in relevant clause on insurance allows the tenant to arrange insurance.

Send an enquiry to the legal advisor at

The Landlord passes on the entire buildings insurance cost to shared ownership leaseholders, and charges them rent.

The lease defines the "Specified Insurance Proportion" as follows: such fair and proper proportion determined by the Landlord.

This suggests the Landlord can deem the proportion (of the insurance cost) as 100%, but that does not seem "fair". Is there any case law to determine what is a fair proportion in a situation where a leaseholder only owns 25% of the property?

It is quite normal, under shared ownership, to pass all service charges to the bottom level leaseholder. If that didn't happen, the rent would need to be increased and inflation proofed, to compensate. Insurance is a service charge.

I imagine the fair and proper reference comes from cutting and pasting text intended to cover blocks of flats, where the insurance cost is split amongst the flats.

I can see that point of view, but I can also see a different one. If one only owns a share, and pays rent on the remaining share, why isn't the Landlord responsible for paying to insure their share as a private landlord does when a tenant pays rent?

The primary concern however is the cost of the policy. The Landlord has purchased a multi-million pound policy with a £50 excess, which is clearly being abused as the cost has doubled from £210 to £420 in 12 months (for a small, two bed terrace home). Comparable house insurance is available for £79 at a range of quality providers. Clearly, tenants are being ripped off.

Latest Activity

• Enfranchisement - Help!
                    Bengt Lagander
                    My lease excludes S62(2) of LPA 1925 in Rights which gives a wide definition of conveyancing rights and indeed is referred to in S10(1) of LHR1967 which covers terms of conveyance of a house.

However S10(1) also states "Except for the purpose of preserving or recognising any existing...
                    23-03-2018, 08:15 AM
                  • Toxic Lease
                    My son purchased a leasehold flat approx 11 years ago from the developer {Mod - name removed}. He was 22 yrs old and very naive. He rents out the property and I seem to have become more involved of late. I do not believe for one minute that the lease on the flat, which doubles every 10 years, was ever...
                    03-03-2018, 13:54 PM
                  • Reply to Toxic Lease
                    Hopping Mad
                    A friend of mine has a ground rent that doubles every 10 years for the first 50 years. It started off at £250 and until it reaches £8000. He has been quoted £42K to get out of it completely or pay £32K and have £350 linked to the RPI every 10 years . He bought the flat from the original leasehold...
                    22-03-2018, 22:01 PM
                  • Damp & managing company issues
                    Hi, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I own a 1st floor flat in a 1960's block which I rent out. There are 15other flats in the block.

​​​​​​ About 4months ago the tenants complained about damp in the bathroom. The managing agents sent their...
                    22-03-2018, 12:18 PM
                  • Reply to Damp & managing company issues
                    I think an infra red camera might find the leak.
                    22-03-2018, 19:30 PM
                    I am trying to visualise it. Usually it would be easy enough to tell if it is from above, from below, from condensation. Things going on inside the wall can be harder.
                    22-03-2018, 19:26 PM
                    To be frank, I haven't pushed the right of access. The neighbour says he hadn't got a problem and doesn't want his bathroom dismantled.

I will check the conditions of the lease, but I'm more disgruntled that im having to spend thousands on something that is being caused from outside the...
                    22-03-2018, 14:27 PM
                    To be sure, one would need to see your lease, and, if materially different, that of the other flat.

However, I find it strange that the lease does not provide a right of access to the other flat. Enforcing the right may be more difficult, and will probably require a court injunction.
                    22-03-2018, 12:55 PM
                  • Reply to Toxic Lease
                    Thank you for your responses and I do have some further questions (sorry).

1 I did contact Sebastian at Leasehold Knowledge and he pointed out that we have a case to sue the solicitor. Further research - solicitors practice closed by Solicitors Regulation authority in 2015 because of fraud....
                    22-03-2018, 11:37 AM
                  • Leasehold Extension: Obligation to extend has lapsed?
                    Hello all,

Background: I have a share in the freehold-owning company for the converted building in which I and a couple of other leaseholders reside. Essentially, it falls to me to run things. The only leaseholder who is does not own a share of the company applied for a lease extension...
                    20-03-2018, 13:24 PM