Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed of Variation (Share of Freehold)

Morning!

We own top floor flat in a share of freehold of 5 flats.
    4 flat owners (who are also 4 directors) are ok to demise the loft space above our flat to our lease.
    the lower ground flat owner, who is also a director in the management company, doesn't want it to be demised to our flat.

The loft will be used only for storage and not for a conversion or extension.
    The only loft access is via our flat

Is the ultimate decision based on a majority vote, or all directors need to approve the deed of variation?

Many thanks for your help

This appears to be the company variant of a share of the freehold.

From a company law point of view, this will be determined by the company articles. If they are silent, a simple majority is required, but they may rely a special resolution, in general meeting, with over 75% of the members (not just directors) agreeing, or an even larger majority.

You also need to consider the lease. It have clauses which would cause your actions to breach the other leases, in which case all those affected must agree.

Also, the board really should be considering whether all the leases should be modified to increase your share of the service charge contribution (including insurance) etc.

Unless you are already responsible for the maintenance of the structural woodwork in your ceiling, they should be insisting on a structural survey to ensure that is strong enough to support the storage you intend to place there.

Comment

How much are you paying ( £'s ) to increase the demised area of the flat by having the loft space added ?

Comment

thanks!
        we agreed to do it for symbolic £1 as I will also be assuming the cost of maintenance, and dead of variation will explicitly mention alteration/conversion into a room is not allowed

Question regarding the actual process of getting this done : i obviously need to engage a solicitor on my side.
        Does the company need to hire a solicitor as well, a legal adviser on behalf of the 4 directors?
        Or would the directors simply need to sign a document?

Comment

I wonder if the concern of the downstairs lessee comes from the idea that you may at a latter date try and make it additional accommodation . To try and deal with that make it clear that the space will only be used for storage and that no windows will be placed in the roof and thus will be a term of the lease

the loft needs to be demised to you for a market value which of course it does not have but it does have a value to you . Storage costs are around £1.50 per square foot per annum. So whatever the yearly rent that Produces should be at the top end of your negotiations but a figure of £200 per annum would seem fair in many cases. This capitalised at say 7% would give around £3000 as you are paying the legal costs perhaps £2000 should be paid to the company to either distribute as a dividend or to offset service charges

alternative a ground rent on the loft space of £200 per annum

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• First time buyer & lease
            Sandtree
            We are about to buy our first property and a little disappointed by our conveyencer, despite their glowing reviews on Trust Pilot etc.

The property was built in 2002 as a pupose built block of flats originally with 125 year leases. The vendor has lived there for 5 years and other than one...
            16-07-2018, 15:24 PM
          • Reply to First time buyer & lease
            Gordon999
            If you are not happy to pay the service charge , then don't buy leasehold and instead look for a freehold house
            18-07-2018, 20:45 PM
          • Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
            asha
            I am a BTL leaseholder. My tenant did not send me the ground rent and service charges demands and court notices. Unlike the previous freeholder this one did not send me any papers at my residential home. Therefore the bailiffs were sent and the property taken by the freeholder. I am willing to pay all...
            15-07-2018, 21:25 PM
          • Reply to Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
            andydd
            You need to explain more. Why were letters sent to your tenant? Did you give the FH your actual address ? As mentioned forfeature is very rare and there would be a while host of court dates first...I assume you knew nothing of them.

I'd get in contact with a solicitor ASAP and show him...
            18-07-2018, 19:43 PM
          • Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
            Leaseholder GRS
            I moved to a new address and totally forgot to pay my half year ground rent to E&M that is £100 on 1st March. All the letter chase were sent to my old address and I didn't get passed on by my tenants in time, only got them yesterday.

The first reminder asks for ground rent plus 50...
            16-07-2018, 12:34 PM
          • Reply to Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
            andydd
            Extra costs are only payable IF the lease allows and IF demanded correctly with Administration Charges - Summary of Rights attached..the s146 clause can't be used for amounts under £350 also note this figure can't be bumped up by admin/legal charges. From what your lease days all you may owe extra...
            18-07-2018, 19:39 PM
          • Disputed Service Charge
            cottet03
            I've had a good search through the forum but can't quite find the answers I'm looking for... So here goes!

I purchased a leasehold flat in 2013 (ex-Local Authority and they remained the freeholder) which had a section 20 notice estimate for £7,000 (per flat - 4 of them but we are the only...
            17-07-2018, 14:37 PM
          • Reply to Disputed Service Charge
            eagle2
            You are right to pursue the formal complaint against the Council and you are right to chase them on a regular basis.

To be fair to the Council, it cannot be easy for them to deal with the complaint if documents are in the hands of the managing agents and letters and notices were issued...
            18-07-2018, 10:15 AM
          • Lease Extension Questions / S45 received
            ID1707
            Hi there, I am looking for some advice about a formal lease extension for a flat with 66 years left on the lease.

Based on a valuer calculation I have offered the FH a premium of £8.5k in the S42 and their counteroffer is £14.5k...which seems to also includes their fees (... the premium...
            17-07-2018, 09:38 AM
          • Reply to Lease Extension Questions / S45 received
            ID1707
            My offer/proposal was based on the RICS valuer guidelines and report. He suggested between £8k to £10k based on the property price.
            It was a formal extension via S42, so no GR, buying a new lease, etc.

My question is more about the process, i.e. is it just the matter of going up...
            18-07-2018, 09:42 AM
          Working...
          X