Undisclosed section 20 notice by seller & management company prior to sale of flat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undisclosed section 20 notice by seller & management company prior to sale of flat

Hi,

I recently bought a flat and within 2 months of getting the keys, I was served a notice for payment for the first stage of major works (work needed to the outside of the building)- to the tune of £12.5k. The management company sent me letters that they had sent the seller two years ago, detailing the section 20 notice, 2 estimates for the costs of the work etc.

I have emailed the conveyancer, who is a bit useless and not willing to look into anything further, and suggested speaking to the management company to get a reduction.

My question is this- both management company and the seller did not disclose this prior to the sale. The forms that they filled in had specific questions about section 20 and planned works, hence the information was actively omitted as they stated "no", so it is more that they lied on the forms as opposed to the information being ommited.

Is the seller the one that is liable for this?- and if so can I just ask them for this money, or would i need to reclaim this via the courts, as the total cost of the works is £20k, which was known about prior to the sale of the flat and I could have obviously asked for a reduction from the cost of the flat because of this.

Any advice, recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated!

2 years is a pretty long duration between S20 and works.

What is the exact wording of the disclosure request and responses (from each party)?
    Why exactly was there this delay?

It is curious why management company would give a false answer -- I cannot see any motive for them to do so.

Comment

This will be question 4.8 on the LPE1 form, which will be copyright. There are specimens published on the web, but it basically asks about section 20 work planned for the next two years, and where it is in the life cycle from anticipated to done but not yet charged. It also asks for details and the expected contribution.

Comment

Contact Sebastian at leaseholdknowledge.com with your problem. He may know others in same situation facing extortionate demands for maintenance of property you don't own.

Comment

Thanks- will do. Any thoughts on contacting the seller to ask for this amount or to just go through the courts?

@andrewdodd- it was on the forms that they were asked to fill out- the LPE1/3 and another one, but the questions were about works and pending works and section 20 notices

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unwanted Dogs
            leaseman2014
            A few months ago we had reason to send a solicitors letter to a long lease holder because she was keeping a dog in her flat. It was not her dog but her daughters
            Our lease states this
            1. Not without the previous consent in writing of the Lessors (which consent may be revoked at any time without
            19-10-2018, 18:57 PM
          • Reply to Unwanted Dogs
            Lawcruncher
            "Not without the previous consent in writing of the Lessors (which consent may be revoked at any time without any reason being assigned for revocation) to keep nor allow to be kept any bird, reptile, dog, cat or any other live animal in the Demised Premises."

Two comments on the...
            22-10-2018, 20:41 PM
          • ownership of loft space
            katya000
            Hello,I own a long leasehold purpose built edwardian maisonette on the first floor of a 2 storey building.There is a similar flat below me.The attic is directly above my flat and only accesible from my flat.
            my lease includes the roof and i have to maintain the roof and can recover 50% of any...
            19-10-2018, 10:17 AM
          • Reply to ownership of loft space
            Lawcruncher
            The rights granted and reserved do not yield anything which cause me to revise what I said above.

Your solicitor is thinking along the same lines as I am. If the word "in" were "on" I think you would be home and dry. Unfortunately we have "in". There are two...
            22-10-2018, 19:14 PM
          • Reply to Unwanted Dogs
            Logical.Lean
            There are two reasons why you wouldn't want a dog in a flat.

One is potential Damage. Well the deposit and tenants home insurance might cover that. Landlords insurance also might cover it. But a well behaved lap dog (a nice cavalier perhaps) would not normally cause much damage. Unless...
            22-10-2018, 18:49 PM
          • Who appoints the Directors of our Company (which owns the freehold)
            esgd27
            Does anyone have any expertise on the appointment of Company Directors. We own (and rent out) one flat in a converted house of 5 flats. We and each of the other 4 flats owns one share in a company that owns the freehold.

I am trying to confirm the process for appointing new Directors....
            10-10-2018, 16:33 PM
          • Reply to Who appoints the Directors of our Company (which owns the freehold)
            njs889333
            A simple check of the Confirmation Statement filed at Companies House should answer any doubts caused by post 20.
            22-10-2018, 16:48 PM
          • Fire escape
            Missycat1
            I had my lease extended , by private arrangement with my freeholder, a couple of years ago. I agreed to remove the access over the rear garden, in and out of the back gate, to access only as a secondary means of escape, in an emergency. This is fine, but I've looked at the deeds today, and I've noticed...
            19-10-2018, 20:22 PM
          • Reply to Fire escape
            Missycat1
            Yes I do .....it's always been there, by the looks of it. It's a purpose built flat.......the back bit was put on as an extension around 1930...most people think it's a fire escape....which it certainly doubles as....
            22-10-2018, 15:21 PM
          • RTM Related Questions ( Apologies If not the right forum)
            simple_shankar
            Dear All

I am a director in the RTM company which has taken over the management a year ago and my enquiry is particular to a current situation.
            Now when the RTM was started, It has only two directors and they appointed an managing agent and also one of the their friend as an employee....
            21-10-2018, 20:48 PM
          Working...
          X