Contingency Fund Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contingency Fund Query

Have been letting a flat for nearly 30 years. Many years ago we owners bought the leasehold of the block. We’ve been through many managing agents over that time and have been with the present ones for several years now. The service charge has remained fairly constant for a few years, but this January it leapt up to double the previous amount. Agent says this is for a contingency fund for roof works which are scheduled for 2030. She couldn’t explain why this hadn’t been factored in before or why we hadn’t been given some warning about the increased cost going forward. What with these fees, letting agent etc etc etc, my rental is no longer a viable option for me. Can the managing agent do this?

why do you need roof works? I assume its a flat roof? as for the agent. if you all 'own' the freehold having bought it some years ago, then you all have a say in how the service and repair charges are arrived at.

planning for roof work 12 years in advance seems sensible, though are they adding a charge for administrating etc. will the money be 'safe'?

if you have been letting the flat for 30 years surely the mortgage is so low (due to purchase price) that you could sell for a healthy profit if you need to?

Comment

Thanks for this. I’ll speak to the other owners and contact the agent armed with these questions.

I am definitely considering the option of selling (bearing in mind capital gains tax implications). I guess it sounds selfish, but if I do sell I’m not really going to be bothered about roof works in 12 years time, but a huge service charge may put off prospective buyers especially in a market where buy-to-let is increasingly unattractive?

Comment

Yes, the freeholder via the managing agent can do this and I presume (since the freehold is owned collectively by the leaseholders) that the managing agent obtained sign-off for the forecast service charge budget from the leaseholders whom are Directors at your development? This is all the authority that the managing agent needs to set and apply a forecast service charge budget ....

You ask why the contingency was not higher in previous years to reflect the roof works that are due in 12 years time. Well, perhaps that is due to the fact that the building was surveyed recently - at which point the necessity for the roof works became obvious. Had the freeholder via the managing agent charged you a higher contingency element in previous years, you would have been within your rights to challenge the cost - which your freeholder via the managing agent would have had to defend. This would not have been easy to do without an audit trail highlighting the necessity (e.g.) a conditions survey.

Yes, some buyers might be put off by the size of the service charge demand. Others might be encouraged by the fact that your freeholder via the managing agent is taking active strides to keep the building in a good state of repair.

Comment

It won't be a flat roof, as those don't have a life of much more than 12 years,so should come into a 12 year budget immediately.

I think you should be glad that they are thinking twelve years ahead. I think you can be almost certain that no new builds include payments for overhauling the roof in 60 years, and many may only look five years ahead.

Comment

A contingency or sinking fund is not payable if the lease doesnt allow it, although its sensible if the LHs & FHs agree to it and there is a bit expense coming up.
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Thanks everybody for these responses - really helpful. Glad I joined landlordzone this morning!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• sub-let fees - help? Estate & Management Ltd
                chipsdog
                First post, so please be patient with me.

I own a flat that I rent out, I have received a letter from E&M Ltd telling me I need to buy a licence for letting my flat. The fee £135 + £85 every new tennant, global licence £330.

What am I actually paying for? has anyone...
                22-08-2011, 17:38 PM
              • Reply to sub-let fees - help? Estate & Management Ltd
                andydd
                Looks like the above consultation is just dealing with Commonhold at the moment, had a quick read through..IMO CH is a dead duck and will never work and more energy should be spent on Right to manage, right to enfranchise and share of freeholds, etc (which can perform the same/similar result)....
                22-02-2018, 10:04 AM
              • Sale of flat - breach of lease
                Robble76
                Hi

The flat below me has been repossessed by the mortgage company and is now up for sale.

As director of the RTM company I have received a letter from the mortgage company's solicitors asking me to complete their questionnaire.

The lessee is in considerable arrears...
                13-01-2018, 06:51 AM
              • Reply to Sale of flat - breach of lease
                Robble76
                Just to follow up on this. The mortgage company have coughed up in full for the service charges so we are happy.
                I think it Is best for RTM companies to have the RTM noted on the freehold title at the Land Registry as this is how the mortgage company found out about us.

Thanks for
                22-02-2018, 06:36 AM
                Gordon999
                The Law Commission is making an 8 week Public Consultation and you can tell the Law Commission what problems E& M is causing to many leaseholders ondemanding payment for something not worded in the lease and the lack of Government regulation and impotence of Council Housing Officers against...
                22-02-2018, 05:02 AM
              • A case for keeping a pet in part bought flat
                GemmaBrown
                Hi,
                Last April I bought a part share flat. I was given permission (in writing) by the housing association (HA) for my dog to live here.

Two weeks after I moved in I had some exchange with the HA saying that they had made a mistake. The management company (consisting of 2 directors,...
                19-02-2018, 17:51 PM
              • Reply to A case for keeping a pet in part bought flat
                leaseholder64
                There was an article in today's London Evening Standard about why that policy will be very unpopular with short let landlords, which is who I think the policy is really aimed at. Basically it says that the cleanup of pet hairs is costly, and they often cause damage, although those are not so relevant...
                21-02-2018, 21:06 PM
                GemmaBrown
                Thanks. Again not something that you are not explained when buying.

I do understand the rule for not having pets in shared flats. However when the pet has lived in the premises for nearly a year, without incident (accept one time he barked at 8pm and that is why the director complained/decided...
                21-02-2018, 19:52 PM
                MrWook
                I've recently received a similar letter. So far I've never entered into a dialog with them, I just ignored their ridiculous demands, and I don't intend on starting now. They can see the law is catching up with their racketeering and they are making one last push for £££!

I would appreciate...
                21-02-2018, 16:47 PM
                leaseholder64
                It's not really a social housing issue, although the shared ownership thing complicates things.

The same rules apply to all leaseholders, even if they are also members of the management company.

Where shared ownership complicates things, when there is also a Residents' Management...
                21-02-2018, 15:41 PM
              Working...
              X