Responsibility for maintenance of windows when not specifically mentioned in lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responsibility for maintenance of windows when not specifically mentioned in lease

I have a couple of linked questions on behalf of a friend with regards to the obligations for maintenance and/or replacement of the windows (frames and glass) in his leasehold flat.

He is a leaseholder of one of the flats in a converted house. The freehold is owned by three of the flat owners, including my friend, via a declaration of trust.

The other trustees are putting pressure on my friend to replace one of his (single glazed, timber framed) windows with a double glazed unit. In his view the window is in need of some attention but not necessarily replacement. We have looked at his lease to check whether the other trustees can force him to replace the window and, if so, whether the replacement needs to be ‘upgraded’ to a double glazed unit, but windows aren’t specifically mentioned either in the definition of the demised premises or in the clauses dealing with the repairing obligations of the Lessee and Lessor.

The Demise
    The demised premises are described as including
    "….. the flat ….. shown and edged with the colour red on the plan ..……….. TOGETHER WITH the staircase leading from the front door of the flat to the entrance door on the ground floor of the Building and including the pathway and internal and external walls of the Building on the same level …….."

The lease:
    The lease requires him to maintain the demised premises (other than certain excluded bits) and “all walls sewers drains/pipes cables wires and appurtenances thereto belonging” in good repair.

The bits excluded from the Lessee’s maintenance requirements are follows:

“(7) …the Lessor will maintain and keep in good and tenantable repair and condition
    1. the main structure of the Building including the foundations and the roof thereof with its gutters and rain waterpipes
    2. all such gas and water pipes drains and electric cables and wires in under and upon the property which are enjoyed or used by the Lessor in common with the owners or lessees of the other flats
    3. the paths on the property enjoyed or used by the Lessee in common as hereinafter provided and the boundary walls and fences of the property and will keep the gardens cultivated and in good order
    (8) The Lessor will so often as reasonably required decorate the exterior of the Building on the Property in the manner in which the same is at the time of this demise decorated or as near thereto as circumstances permit. “

The questions
    So ……
    1. I think the main question boils down to whether the windows are classed as part of the main structure of the Building, and therefore part of the Lessor's repairing obligations? I have read a summary of the definition of the word ‘building’ in Pattrick v Marley Estates Management but I am still unclear as to what this means in the case of my friend’s lease. I would welcome your views please!

If the Lessee is responsible for repairing and maintaining the windows I have a couple of follow on questions
    1. is there any reason why a replacement window would have to be double glazed rather than a like for like replacement? (obviously there are benefits to a double glazed unit but costs are an issue)
    2. who would be responsible for paying for repairs to the window if it was damaged as a result of work carried out (by the Lessor) to the wall above it, or because the Lessor didn’t meet their repairing obligations to the exterior brickwork and allowed the window to become degraded?

Thank you for taking the time to read this far - hope it makes sense!

My take would be that they are the leaseholder's responsibility, but the wording could be clearer.

It would, I believe, be a breach of building regulations to replace them with single glazing, and I don't think any Fensa or Certass contractor would accept such a job, even if grandfathering is technically allowed.

The person whose negligence resulted in the damage would be responsible. I don't think this is a lease related question. I think he might have a hard time with a consequential loss claim relating to maintaining the walls.

Comment

That's very helpful, leaseholder64 - thank you.

I hadn't realised that double glazing was now a requirement of building regs as I've only needed to replace a couple of cracked panes (not an entire window) in my own single glazing in recent years, so it's good to know about that!

Comment

I'm not sure whether it is actually double glazing or simply a level of insulation that can only reasonably be achieved with that and low E glass.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• sub-let fees - help? Estate & Management Ltd
          chipsdog
          First post, so please be patient with me.

I own a flat that I rent out, I have received a letter from E&M Ltd telling me I need to buy a licence for letting my flat. The fee £135 + £85 every new tennant, global licence £330.

What am I actually paying for? has anyone...
          22-08-2011, 17:38 PM
        • Reply to sub-let fees - help? Estate & Management Ltd
          andydd
          Looks like the above consultation is just dealing with Commonhold at the moment, had a quick read through..IMO CH is a dead duck and will never work and more energy should be spent on Right to manage, right to enfranchise and share of freeholds, etc (which can perform the same/similar result)....
          22-02-2018, 10:04 AM
        • Sale of flat - breach of lease
          Robble76
          Hi

The flat below me has been repossessed by the mortgage company and is now up for sale.

As director of the RTM company I have received a letter from the mortgage company's solicitors asking me to complete their questionnaire.

The lessee is in considerable arrears...
          13-01-2018, 06:51 AM
        • Reply to Sale of flat - breach of lease
          Robble76
          Just to follow up on this. The mortgage company have coughed up in full for the service charges so we are happy.
          I think it Is best for RTM companies to have the RTM noted on the freehold title at the Land Registry as this is how the mortgage company found out about us.

Thanks for
          22-02-2018, 06:36 AM
          Gordon999
          The Law Commission is making an 8 week Public Consultation and you can tell the Law Commission what problems E& M is causing to many leaseholders ondemanding payment for something not worded in the lease and the lack of Government regulation and impotence of Council Housing Officers against...
          22-02-2018, 05:02 AM
        • A case for keeping a pet in part bought flat
          GemmaBrown
          Hi,
          Last April I bought a part share flat. I was given permission (in writing) by the housing association (HA) for my dog to live here.

Two weeks after I moved in I had some exchange with the HA saying that they had made a mistake. The management company (consisting of 2 directors,...
          19-02-2018, 17:51 PM
        • Reply to A case for keeping a pet in part bought flat
          leaseholder64
          There was an article in today's London Evening Standard about why that policy will be very unpopular with short let landlords, which is who I think the policy is really aimed at. Basically it says that the cleanup of pet hairs is costly, and they often cause damage, although those are not so relevant...
          21-02-2018, 21:06 PM
          GemmaBrown
          Thanks. Again not something that you are not explained when buying.

I do understand the rule for not having pets in shared flats. However when the pet has lived in the premises for nearly a year, without incident (accept one time he barked at 8pm and that is why the director complained/decided...
          21-02-2018, 19:52 PM
          MrWook
          I've recently received a similar letter. So far I've never entered into a dialog with them, I just ignored their ridiculous demands, and I don't intend on starting now. They can see the law is catching up with their racketeering and they are making one last push for £££!

I would appreciate...
          21-02-2018, 16:47 PM
          leaseholder64
          It's not really a social housing issue, although the shared ownership thing complicates things.

The same rules apply to all leaseholders, even if they are also members of the management company.

Where shared ownership complicates things, when there is also a Residents' Management...
          21-02-2018, 15:41 PM
        Working...
        X