Notice of Assignment on inherited leasehold property.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice of Assignment on inherited leasehold property.

Could anyone tell me if a Notice of Assignment has to be given to the freeholder of a leasehold property if the new leaseholder inherits the property (as opposed to purchasing it). The lease states that notice must be given "within one month of any assignment assent transfer or under lease of the demised premises", so it would appear so, but I just wanted to double-check that this is the norm. If so, am I right to assume that the freeholder's usual fee for receipting/acknowledging this notice would also be payable by the devisee (i.e. the new leaseholder)?

With a purchase, all this is normally taken care of by the buyer's solicitors, I'm not sure if the same would apply to the inheritance case (if solicitors are involved, that is). Any shared knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Yes and yes. The freeholder needs to know to whom the ground rent and service charge demands should be addressed and this is the mechanism by which the information is given to the freeholder.

Comment

It's actually a devolution, not an assignment, but the freeholder certainly needs to know about it.

Comment

Thank you Lorimer and leaseholder64.

Comment

The Notice is served by new leaseholder ( or by his solicitor) on freeholder after the name of new property title holder has been registered by Land Registry.

Comment

Thanks Gordon999

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X