Ventilation / Air Brick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventilation / Air Brick

I own a property in a block of flats. The flat has a damp problem in one of the bedroom. I want to fit an air brick / ventilation brick as I have been advised that this may help the problem. I have written to the management company but given past experience expect them to refuse permission to put this in as it obviously goes through to an outside wall and is thus visible. Can they refuse permission or how do I force them to allow me to install this. Thanks

Why not instead install a trickle vent in the window? That only needs a few holes drilled.
    Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop Bulk Hardware BH03173 Windows and Door Fully Adjustable Trickle Vent, 260mm (10.4 inch) - White.

Comment

Quite. How exactly is an air brick different from opening the window or having a trickle vent. Unless it is the wall cavity that you want ventilating.

Comment

In the past I have had tenants close vents and put sticky tape over air bricks.

For these tricky situations I have fitted passivator vents, which is an air brick with a bit of fabric wadding inside, it allows vapour out but no draughts in so tenants don't block them up.

But in a flat...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• First time buyer & lease
          Sandtree
          We are about to buy our first property and a little disappointed by our conveyencer, despite their glowing reviews on Trust Pilot etc.

The property was built in 2002 as a pupose built block of flats originally with 125 year leases. The vendor has lived there for 5 years and other than one...
          16-07-2018, 15:24 PM
        • Reply to First time buyer & lease
          Gordon999
          If you are not happy to pay the service charge , then don't buy leasehold and instead look for a freehold house
          18-07-2018, 20:45 PM
        • Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
          asha
          I am a BTL leaseholder. My tenant did not send me the ground rent and service charges demands and court notices. Unlike the previous freeholder this one did not send me any papers at my residential home. Therefore the bailiffs were sent and the property taken by the freeholder. I am willing to pay all...
          15-07-2018, 21:25 PM
        • Reply to Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
          andydd
          You need to explain more. Why were letters sent to your tenant? Did you give the FH your actual address ? As mentioned forfeature is very rare and there would be a while host of court dates first...I assume you knew nothing of them.

I'd get in contact with a solicitor ASAP and show him...
          18-07-2018, 19:43 PM
        • Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
          Leaseholder GRS
          I moved to a new address and totally forgot to pay my half year ground rent to E&M that is £100 on 1st March. All the letter chase were sent to my old address and I didn't get passed on by my tenants in time, only got them yesterday.

The first reminder asks for ground rent plus 50...
          16-07-2018, 12:34 PM
        • Reply to Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
          andydd
          Extra costs are only payable IF the lease allows and IF demanded correctly with Administration Charges - Summary of Rights attached..the s146 clause can't be used for amounts under £350 also note this figure can't be bumped up by admin/legal charges. From what your lease days all you may owe extra...
          18-07-2018, 19:39 PM
        • Disputed Service Charge
          cottet03
          I've had a good search through the forum but can't quite find the answers I'm looking for... So here goes!

I purchased a leasehold flat in 2013 (ex-Local Authority and they remained the freeholder) which had a section 20 notice estimate for £7,000 (per flat - 4 of them but we are the only...
          17-07-2018, 14:37 PM
        • Reply to Disputed Service Charge
          eagle2
          You are right to pursue the formal complaint against the Council and you are right to chase them on a regular basis.

To be fair to the Council, it cannot be easy for them to deal with the complaint if documents are in the hands of the managing agents and letters and notices were issued...
          18-07-2018, 10:15 AM
        • Lease Extension Questions / S45 received
          ID1707
          Hi there, I am looking for some advice about a formal lease extension for a flat with 66 years left on the lease.

Based on a valuer calculation I have offered the FH a premium of £8.5k in the S42 and their counteroffer is £14.5k...which seems to also includes their fees (... the premium...
          17-07-2018, 09:38 AM
        • Reply to Lease Extension Questions / S45 received
          ID1707
          My offer/proposal was based on the RICS valuer guidelines and report. He suggested between £8k to £10k based on the property price.
          It was a formal extension via S42, so no GR, buying a new lease, etc.

My question is more about the process, i.e. is it just the matter of going up...
          18-07-2018, 09:42 AM
        Working...
        X