Ventilation / Air Brick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventilation / Air Brick

I own a property in a block of flats. The flat has a damp problem in one of the bedroom. I want to fit an air brick / ventilation brick as I have been advised that this may help the problem. I have written to the management company but given past experience expect them to refuse permission to put this in as it obviously goes through to an outside wall and is thus visible. Can they refuse permission or how do I force them to allow me to install this. Thanks

Why not instead install a trickle vent in the window? That only needs a few holes drilled.
    Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop Bulk Hardware BH03173 Windows and Door Fully Adjustable Trickle Vent, 260mm (10.4 inch) - White.

Comment

Quite. How exactly is an air brick different from opening the window or having a trickle vent. Unless it is the wall cavity that you want ventilating.

Comment

In the past I have had tenants close vents and put sticky tape over air bricks.

For these tricky situations I have fitted passivator vents, which is an air brick with a bit of fabric wadding inside, it allows vapour out but no draughts in so tenants don't block them up.

But in a flat...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• A case for keeping a pet in part bought flat
          GemmaBrown
          Hi,
          Last April I bought a part share flat. I was given permission (in writing) by the housing association (HA) for my dog to live here.

Two weeks after I moved in I had some exchange with the HA saying that they had made a mistake. The management company (consisting of 2 directors,...
          19-02-2018, 17:51 PM
        • Reply to A case for keeping a pet in part bought flat
          leaseholder64
          There was an article in today's London Evening Standard about why that policy will be very unpopular with short let landlords, which is who I think the policy is really aimed at. Basically it says that the cleanup of pet hairs is costly, and they often cause damage, although those are not so relevant...
          21-02-2018, 21:06 PM
          GemmaBrown
          Thanks. Again not something that you are not explained when buying.

I do understand the rule for not having pets in shared flats. However when the pet has lived in the premises for nearly a year, without incident (accept one time he barked at 8pm and that is why the director complained/decided...
          21-02-2018, 19:52 PM
        • sub-let fees - help? Estate & Management Ltd
          chipsdog
          First post, so please be patient with me.

I own a flat that I rent out, I have received a letter from E&M Ltd telling me I need to buy a licence for letting my flat. The fee £135 + £85 every new tennant, global licence £330.

What am I actually paying for? has anyone...
          22-08-2011, 17:38 PM
        • Reply to sub-let fees - help? Estate & Management Ltd
          MrWook
          I've recently received a similar letter. So far I've never entered into a dialog with them, I just ignored their ridiculous demands, and I don't intend on starting now. They can see the law is catching up with their racketeering and they are making one last push for £££!

I would appreciate...
          21-02-2018, 16:47 PM
          leaseholder64
          It's not really a social housing issue, although the shared ownership thing complicates things.

The same rules apply to all leaseholders, even if they are also members of the management company.

Where shared ownership complicates things, when there is also a Residents' Management...
          21-02-2018, 15:41 PM
        • Management Co obligations
          Bengt Lagander
          Talking title splits....so as freeholder we split into 5 leases and retain (as standard) the right to develop if the new 5 leaseholders dont want us to be directors or shareholders of the management co (as we are not one of the 5 leaseholders). So far so good. But if as freeholder we subsequently developed...
          20-02-2018, 22:52 PM
        • Reply to Management Co obligations
          Gordon999
          You should be consulting a Landlord and Tenant Act solicitor about what your lease allows . ....
          21-02-2018, 15:19 PM
          GemmaBrown
          Thanks.

So basically these people that don't even really know you can make you do anything they want you too, in your own home, without any protection for you at all. Seems grossly unfair. So theres a bigger issue here right of tenant/homeowner rights in social housing accommodation....
          21-02-2018, 13:56 PM
        • Section 5A notice questions
          freddycd15
          Hi there,

I own a leasehold in a block of flats in London. I would say there are over 100 flats in the block. I have a 999 year leasehold on it.

I have just been served a Section 5A notice. I'm slightls out of the water here - i have done a bit of reading on it but a few important...
          21-02-2018, 13:14 PM
        Working...
        X