Ventilation / Air Brick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventilation / Air Brick

I own a property in a block of flats. The flat has a damp problem in one of the bedroom. I want to fit an air brick / ventilation brick as I have been advised that this may help the problem. I have written to the management company but given past experience expect them to refuse permission to put this in as it obviously goes through to an outside wall and is thus visible. Can they refuse permission or how do I force them to allow me to install this. Thanks

Why not instead install a trickle vent in the window? That only needs a few holes drilled.
    Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop Bulk Hardware BH03173 Windows and Door Fully Adjustable Trickle Vent, 260mm (10.4 inch) - White.

Comment

Quite. How exactly is an air brick different from opening the window or having a trickle vent. Unless it is the wall cavity that you want ventilating.

Comment

In the past I have had tenants close vents and put sticky tape over air bricks.

For these tricky situations I have fitted passivator vents, which is an air brick with a bit of fabric wadding inside, it allows vapour out but no draughts in so tenants don't block them up.

But in a flat...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Water charges
          pernes
          Are there and if so what are the benefits of the managing agent being a reseller of our water and sewerage supplies? Looking back over the accounts there appears to be a high charge for these services, our service charge includes the water rates based on the lease %.

Does...
          18-01-2019, 22:15 PM
        • Reply to Water charges
          leaseholder64
          Assuming this is normal residential property, not say holiday lets, similar rules to electricity do seem to apply, with the reservation that up to £10 per annum can be added for administration (£5 if there is no meter). https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/...l/waterresale/
          19-01-2019, 11:54 AM
        • Reply to Water charges
          ram
          You cannot sell Electric to leaseholders for more than the utility invoice price.( cannot make a profit )
          I assume it's the same for Water ?

As a leaseholder, you are entitled to view all invoices.
          19-01-2019, 11:47 AM
        • Illegal Alteration
          puckxxx
          Guys if you could give some advise on the following query it would be much appreciated.

I understand that a breach of a leasehold agreement needs to be determined by the FTT. Therefore my question implies a decision in my favour.

Do any of you know how much a Landlord can reasonably...
          18-01-2019, 12:08 PM
        • Reply to Illegal Alteration
          Lawcruncher
          How long ago were the alterations carried out?

How extensive are the alterations?

Did the alterations involve encroaching outside the property comprised in the lease?

Were you the landlord when the alterations were carried out?

If the answer to the...
          19-01-2019, 10:58 AM
        • Reply to Illegal Alteration
          eagle2
          A Tribunal is likely to ask you what you would have said had the leaseholder applied for permission as required by the lease. If you are going to say that you would have refused consent, you should be prepared to give your reasons.

The Tribunal would then consider the facts, what work...
          19-01-2019, 06:51 AM
        • Freeholder late in counter offer
          funkar
          Hi ,

We served sect 42 on my landlord for lease extension.
          last day for them to counter offer was 25th Nov which was Sunday.

My solicitor received sect 45 counter offer on Monday 26th Nov , one day late with double the premium we offered.

where do stand...
          18-01-2019, 20:49 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder late in counter offer
          vmart
          It can be expensive referring to the Tribunal so you may find gains are lost in legal fees and stress. You could ask your solicitor to write a 'Without Prejudice' letter in an attempt to resolve without going to court and make an offer you would be happy to accept. I doubt you anticipated the price...
          18-01-2019, 21:48 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder late in counter offer
          JK0
          Oh, well it sounds like you are going to have to go to the FTT anyway to rule on the premium as you are so far apart. Therefore, as part of your application, you can mention that the counter offer arrived late.
          18-01-2019, 21:37 PM
        • Ground Rent Query?
          Mr. Sparkle
          In the 10 yrs I have owned my leasehold flat I never received a request to pay ground rent..

Subsequently, I assumed that the GR was a peppercorn or something insignificant.

Recently, I queried the cost of the GR with my managing agent who are in charge of my property/building...
          30-12-2018, 13:17 PM
        Working...
        X