Ventilation / Air Brick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventilation / Air Brick

I own a property in a block of flats. The flat has a damp problem in one of the bedroom. I want to fit an air brick / ventilation brick as I have been advised that this may help the problem. I have written to the management company but given past experience expect them to refuse permission to put this in as it obviously goes through to an outside wall and is thus visible. Can they refuse permission or how do I force them to allow me to install this. Thanks

Why not instead install a trickle vent in the window? That only needs a few holes drilled.
    Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop Bulk Hardware BH03173 Windows and Door Fully Adjustable Trickle Vent, 260mm (10.4 inch) - White.

Comment

Quite. How exactly is an air brick different from opening the window or having a trickle vent. Unless it is the wall cavity that you want ventilating.

Comment

In the past I have had tenants close vents and put sticky tape over air bricks.

For these tricky situations I have fitted passivator vents, which is an air brick with a bit of fabric wadding inside, it allows vapour out but no draughts in so tenants don't block them up.

But in a flat...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Successful RTM claim
          skidder
          Hi all,

I wonder if anybody can be of assistance.

Cutting a long story short we have managed to obtain the RTM from a very aggressive freeholder. The right will transfer to us in August.

It is a small block of four converted one bedroom flats

We have...
          24-05-2018, 14:03 PM
        • Reply to Successful RTM claim
          skidder
          Thanks Leaseholder64 for the reply.

Apologies for the confusion.

I have received a renewal from the freeholder for insurance for the upcoming year. I shall pay this and the majority will be refunded in August when we handover.

I shall then arrange my own policy...
          27-05-2018, 15:56 PM
          leaseholder64
          I'm a bit confused because the first half says you are arranging the insurance and the second half says the freeholder is!

Why would you think that he freeholder would not want to be name as having an interest in the insurance? (I would say it was essential they were named!)
          27-05-2018, 14:20 PM
          skidder
          Hi Gordon999

I have received a notice confirming RTM will commence in August. The freeholder states that the insurance will run out on this date and I will have to arrange. Policy is currently £1920 for four flats. I need to name the freeholder on my policy.

Also can you confirm...
          27-05-2018, 10:38 AM
          Gordon999
          Your RTM Is due to commence in August and will take over running the service account and maintenance of building. The RTM decides everything and freeholder is left with collecting the ground rent and dealing with forfeiture of lease (which is unlikely to happen ) .

When does your current...
          27-05-2018, 10:21 AM
          skidder
          Thanks Leaseholder64 much appreciated.

So as above I do not need to go through another section 20. i.e. If all 3 leaseholders sit down and agree specs etc costing say £5k. We would all divide the amount correctly and sign papers saying monies paid and agreed etc. Would this be sufficient?...
          26-05-2018, 15:32 PM
          leaseholder64
          Section 20 protects the leaseholders, not the freeholder. If the freeholder objected it would be because the proposed work was not sufficient to comply with the lease, not because of consultation issues.

You should get a lot of information on handover. Even if the contractors are abandoned,...
          26-05-2018, 15:15 PM
        • Sub Letting Fees
          isthisnameavailable
          Another topic on this, sorry I can see there have been plenty.

I have today received a letter from {Mod - name removed} on behalf on {Mod - name removed}. They are saying I have not replied to their letter dated May 19 2017 (I haven't) and things will be passed on to external solicitors...
          21-05-2018, 18:22 PM
        • Reply to Sub Letting Fees
          leaseholder64
          I think the organisation in question is not a managing agent. They make money purely from acting as an agent for the freeholder for ground rent and administration charges. i don't think they manage the property.

I suspect you have to think long and talk to your MP as it looks like they...
          26-05-2018, 14:58 PM
        • Reply to Sub Letting Fees
          Gordon999
          What is your recommendation if the freehold was sold without Right of First Refusal offer to leaseholders and current freeholder is using a managing agent to demand extortionate subletting fees ?
          26-05-2018, 14:15 PM
        Working...
        X