Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale of flat - breach of lease

Hi

The flat below me has been repossessed by the mortgage company and is now up for sale.

As director of the RTM company I have received a letter from the mortgage company's solicitors asking me to complete their questionnaire.

The lessee is in considerable arrears with the service charges which we want to be paid upon completion and I plan to tell them that.

I have also viewed the property with the estate agent (with the thought of buying it, but they are asking too much) and found that that the outgoing tenant removed all the carpets in the living room and bedroom, which will make it noisy for me in the flat above and is a breach of the lease.

I am not sure whether to mention this breach in the questionnaire. Can I mention it and insist that they sort it out along with the outstanding funds before completion or let it ride as I am more concerned about getting the money out of them. I believe that if I accept the service charge money after mentioning the unfixed carpet breach, then the right to forfeiture is waved, along with our leverage over the situation. Is that correct?

They don't know that I am aware, yet.

Or should I wait and take it up with the new owner if they don't fit new carpets in a timely fashion and start being noisy?

Myself and another flat owner are buying the freehold of the building and that is due to complete in about 2 weeks time. so our freehold company will take over from the RTM.

If I do pursue the carpet issue, should I write to the lessee also and inform them of their breach of lease?

thanks!

Rob

Failing to mention it on the LPE1 responses may make it difficult or impossible to enforce it in future.

Accepting the service charge may accept the breach.

Although too late now, lenders will normally pay for defaulted service charges (and add them to the loan) to avoid action to forfeit the lease, so you should have escalated to them as soon as the payment was defaulted. It might have brought the re-possession forward, of course.

Comment

Is it not simply a case of demanding the mortgage companion (who I presume is in effect the new 'owner') pay any outstanding charges before responding to them on any other matter ?
      (I ask out of ignorance and not trying to advise)

Comment

Thanks.
        Yes, I did write to the mortgage company who said they would want it confirmed by the tribunal that the charges were owed. As the repossession was in progress I thought it best to just to wait until they sold and then paid the outstanding charges due rather than the tribunal rigmarole.

So should I insist they accept the carpet breach and pay the charges?

Comment

Does the lease require the freeholders consent to transfer?

Have the outstanding charges been correctly demanded?

How is the flat being sold, auction or via agents?

I would write to the mortgage co and say you are unable to respond to any requests until the carpet breach is remedied and the outstanding charges are settled, its for them or the new owner to contest at tribunal.

I’d then inform whoever is marketing the flat about the breach and outstanding charges so they then inform any potential buyer.

Comment

I would try to post a notice to the Land Registry Record for this property to say there is no sale until the service charge arrears are paid and breach of lease rectified.

Comment

Thanks

Does the lease require the freeholders consent to transfer?

It doesn't mention consent, but there is a fee payable for the Notice of Assignment.

Have the outstanding charges been correctly demanded?

I believe so. But perhaps not. I have noticed I made a mistake on the total arrears brought forward on their last two service charge notices. Whoops. Although the amounts showing for each service charge period are correct and I believe the service charge notices are otherwise correct and in accordance with the requirements. Perhaps I can reissue them? Maybe I do not need to?

How is the flat being sold, auction or via agents?

Via agents

I would imagine that a buyer's solicitor would advise their client against purchasing the property with these problems outstanding and would want them resolved?

thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Robble76 View Post
                Thanks

I would imagine that a buyer's solicitor would advise their client against purchasing the property with these problems outstanding and would want them resolved?
                Yes, I think you can probably sit tight until a buyer sends the LPE 1 form, you can then raise the breach and outstanding service charges, their solicitor will insist it’s resolved before proceeding.

Comment

thanks, I have a form from the mortgage company's solicitor. It is not LPE 1, but their own version I guess.

Comment

Just to follow up on this. The mortgage company have coughed up in full for the service charges so we are happy.
                    I think it Is best for RTM companies to have the RTM noted on the freehold title at the Land Registry as this is how the mortgage company found out about us.

Thanks for your comments.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robble76 View Post
                      I think it Is best for RTM companies to have the RTM noted on the freehold title at the Land Registry as this is how the mortgage company found out about us.

Thanks for your comments.

Rob
                      I agree but so many RTM Companies do not do this which results in third parties sending important and potentially life altering communications to the freeholder. As your freeholder is not being paid to reply to or forward third party communications, he may choose to file them in a waste-bin ...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• service charge based on rateable values
                        Foreverleaseholder
                        I own a leasehold flat in a building of 4 flats - different sizes, mine is the smallest-almost a studio flat (3 leasehold flats + 1 freeholder’s flat).
                        Since I bought the flat the freeholder has been calculating the service charge by simply dividing the costs four ways.
                        Very recently...
                        20-04-2018, 10:40 AM
                      • Reply to service charge based on rateable values
                        Lawcruncher
                        That reads like a summary of the clause and does not quite make sense. Please quote the exact wording. In the meantime, assuming the effect of the clause is that each flat pays a proportion according to rateable value and does not elaborate further, then I think you have to go by the rateable values...
                        21-04-2018, 21:03 PM
                      • Director Issues
                        amog78
                        I own a share of the Freehold. There are 24 flats in the complex, 16 of which took up the opportunity to purchase the freehold, including myself. The remaining 8 flats are Leasehold and therefore pay Ground Rent and Service Charge. Our Directors have recently decided that the Ground Rent paid by the...
                        21-04-2018, 16:57 PM
                      • Reply to Director Issues
                        leaseholder64
                        That should, of course, have been corporation, not cooperation, tax, as no-one wants to cooperate in paying tax!

As well as corporation tax, those receiving the dividends would need to declare them on their tax returns, although it is possible that they would be below the dividend threshold....
                        21-04-2018, 18:52 PM
                      • Ground Rent Term 2 question
                        KarenL
                        Hi,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time and found it to be REALLY useful. We have 4 houses which we rent out, so thanks for all the posts.

I thought I would ask my first question as I have googled this and can't find anything.

One of our properties...
                        21-04-2018, 13:08 PM
                      • Reply to Ground Rent Term 2 question
                        KarenL
                        Thank you so much for that.

Just one (maybe silly) question.
                        Why is it £1 and not £25 (which is the real ground rent).

Oh and the reason for all this is that the landlord/freeholder has asked for almost £5,000. All our enquiries have shown it to be around £350
                        21-04-2018, 18:15 PM
                        leaseholder64
                        Also, how is the cost of, at least, filing confirmation statements being funded, if not from the ground rents?

You also still have to pay service charges.
                        21-04-2018, 17:10 PM
                        leaseholder64
                        All 24 flats are still leasehold.

Buying out he freehold doesn't change the leases, so you still have to pay ground rent.

You are confusing the members of the company that owns the freehold, with the freeholder. The company is the one and only freeholder.

I think...
                        21-04-2018, 17:07 PM
                      • Costs to get FTT decision on the terms of collective enfranchisement
                        Lorimer
                        We are in the middle of a Section 13 collective enfranchisement claim to purchase our freehold. The freeholder's counter notice stated that he wanted more money than we offered and also stated that we are not entitled to include the large communal garden to the side of the building in our enfranchisement...
                        16-04-2018, 09:26 AM
                      • Reply to Costs to get FTT decision on the terms of collective enfranchisement
                        Lorimer
                        1. The garden is on the same freehold title as the building in which the flats are located.
                        2. Leaseholders have paid grounds maintenance monies over the course of c.20 years for the upkeep of the garden.

We have been advised that the garden cannot be classed as appurtenant land because...
                        21-04-2018, 15:58 PM
                      Working...
                      X