Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaseholders unauthorised conversion/ conservatory

I'm the freeholder of 2 flats,
    one of the leaseholders is now selling their flat, they have been leaseholders from hell,

About 15 years ago, they fitted windows and a door to a balcony area ( it had a flat roof over the entrance door,) to form a gallery / conservatory.

the lease clearly states no alteration without consent,
    the gallery increases th area of the flat by 10%

they are now selling the flat.

I assume they need retrospective consent for the alterations

can I charge a fee for the uplift / increase in value of say £5/6000 or does the statute of limitations apply.

as there is a leek in the gallery I have told them on numerous occasion is am not responsible for the maintenance as they carried out the alteration s without my consent.

They have recently sent me a LPE 1 questionnaire and paid my fee,
    can I refuse to answer the questionnaire until this issue has been resolved as I have read on this forum?

As you have accepted payment, I think you have a contract to answer the LPE1, so I think your only option is to answer it truthfully, which would also send alarm bells to the buyer.

Unfortunately, it is 11 years to late to go after them for the breach of planning control. (Did they get building control approval?)

I don't see why you shouldn't charge for compensation if they ask for retrospective permission. The question would be whether the buyer's solicitor would insist on it.

Comment

Do you live in one of the flats? How long have you been the Freeholder? When did you find out about the alterations?

Comment

I don't live in the flat
        the works were done about 15 years ago,

I said at the time you never asked for permission, they ignored me as they have done ever since they bought the flat, although theres always 2 sides to any story, I ve had 3 tenants in my flat and they have had 1 tenant in theres and all of the tenants have said im the best landlord they've ever had

there has been a leak in the conservatory ever since they converted it.
        I have told them whenever their Tennant ( sub let again without permission ) complained to me about it that I'm not paying to fix a problem when you never had permission to do the work.

I ve become an 'accidental' landlord in that I bought a flat that came with the freehold, then 20 years later I learned about section 20 notices etc, when the leaseholder refused to speak to me about re rendering the blown plaster on their part of the property.
        wish my solicitor had educated me when I bought it< I ve always tried to be reasonable and accommodating but the leaseholder has treated me with utter contempt like I'm a serf at their beck and call

Comment

as the current Tennant is buying the flat from the leaseholders, she would like the leak fixed before purchase and she has asked her solicitor to ask for retrospective consent as part of the conveyancing process, which I think / hope may help my position?

Comment

I think I might tell them to knock it down if they want to sell.

Comment

the purchasers solicitors have asked the vendors to obtain retrospective consent.
              the vendors solicitors have replied saying they have made no alterations, only fitting widows to the gap between the wall and the ceiling on 2 sides and fitting a double door to the other opening

any ideas?

Comment

I think I said:

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                I think I might tell them to knock it down if they want to sell.

Comment

But if the solicitors exchange contracts and ignore my comments?

Comment

I don't think they will if they want a mortgage.

Comment

Cash buyer

Comment

Then point out to buyer's solicitor that you will still be denying consent to anyone they try to sell to one day who does need a mortgage.

Comment

4 months after replying to the LPE1 I today receive a letter from the current leaseholders solicitors asking for more detailed information and querying the reply given.
                          Can I charge a 'letter fee' for the reply.( it always takes an hour to compose a redraft a response)
                          also the solicitor is requesting copy invoices from the previous years service charge, am I correct in thinking the leaseholder is entitled to view them and copy them but I have no obligation to send their solicitors copies?

Comment

Why not? Solicitor will charge for one. Regarding invoices, I might take the view that that would be cooperating with sale. That is not an impression you want to give, is it?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• First time buyer & lease
                              Sandtree
                              We are about to buy our first property and a little disappointed by our conveyencer, despite their glowing reviews on Trust Pilot etc.

The property was built in 2002 as a pupose built block of flats originally with 125 year leases. The vendor has lived there for 5 years and other than one...
                              16-07-2018, 15:24 PM
                            • Reply to First time buyer & lease
                              Gordon999
                              If you are not happy to pay the service charge , then don't buy leasehold and instead look for a freehold house
                              18-07-2018, 20:45 PM
                            • Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
                              asha
                              I am a BTL leaseholder. My tenant did not send me the ground rent and service charges demands and court notices. Unlike the previous freeholder this one did not send me any papers at my residential home. Therefore the bailiffs were sent and the property taken by the freeholder. I am willing to pay all...
                              15-07-2018, 21:25 PM
                            • Reply to Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
                              andydd
                              You need to explain more. Why were letters sent to your tenant? Did you give the FH your actual address ? As mentioned forfeature is very rare and there would be a while host of court dates first...I assume you knew nothing of them.

I'd get in contact with a solicitor ASAP and show him...
                              18-07-2018, 19:43 PM
                            • Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
                              Leaseholder GRS
                              I moved to a new address and totally forgot to pay my half year ground rent to E&M that is £100 on 1st March. All the letter chase were sent to my old address and I didn't get passed on by my tenants in time, only got them yesterday.

The first reminder asks for ground rent plus 50...
                              16-07-2018, 12:34 PM
                            • Reply to Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
                              andydd
                              Extra costs are only payable IF the lease allows and IF demanded correctly with Administration Charges - Summary of Rights attached..the s146 clause can't be used for amounts under £350 also note this figure can't be bumped up by admin/legal charges. From what your lease days all you may owe extra...
                              18-07-2018, 19:39 PM
                            • Disputed Service Charge
                              cottet03
                              I've had a good search through the forum but can't quite find the answers I'm looking for... So here goes!

I purchased a leasehold flat in 2013 (ex-Local Authority and they remained the freeholder) which had a section 20 notice estimate for £7,000 (per flat - 4 of them but we are the only...
                              17-07-2018, 14:37 PM
                            • Reply to Disputed Service Charge
                              eagle2
                              You are right to pursue the formal complaint against the Council and you are right to chase them on a regular basis.

To be fair to the Council, it cannot be easy for them to deal with the complaint if documents are in the hands of the managing agents and letters and notices were issued...
                              18-07-2018, 10:15 AM
                            • Lease Extension Questions / S45 received
                              ID1707
                              Hi there, I am looking for some advice about a formal lease extension for a flat with 66 years left on the lease.

Based on a valuer calculation I have offered the FH a premium of £8.5k in the S42 and their counteroffer is £14.5k...which seems to also includes their fees (... the premium...
                              17-07-2018, 09:38 AM
                            • Reply to Lease Extension Questions / S45 received
                              ID1707
                              My offer/proposal was based on the RICS valuer guidelines and report. He suggested between £8k to £10k based on the property price.
                              It was a formal extension via S42, so no GR, buying a new lease, etc.

My question is more about the process, i.e. is it just the matter of going up...
                              18-07-2018, 09:42 AM
                            Working...
                            X