Ground Rent and Service Charge Demands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Rent and Service Charge Demands

If demands are never received for both ground rent and service charges, are they ever due?

I read somewhere that they are up to 6 years, if they have been demanded. Is that correct? If they have never been demanded, can I have read somewhere that landlord has up to 18 months to demand?

Either way, what is the correct and lawful position for a lessee?

Ground Rent demands can be (re)served upto 6 years later, beyond this date..no they are not payable.

The limit for Service Charges is 12years (although some maybe 6 in some circumstances if SC is reserved as rent), the 18 month rule doesnt apply to demands but to notifications that FH has incurred a cost.

Its explained here - https://www.lease-advice.org/case-st...18-month-rule/
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

I assume you mean never served, rather than never received.

To be valid, they have to be served properly, according to the terms of the lease, and in the case of ground rent, in a legally prescribed form, and in the case of service charges, accompanied by a legally prescribed statement of rights.

They become due once the demand is properly served subject to the time limits above.

Notices that expenditure has been incurred have to be served properly.

E.g. if you are sub-letting, and have not provided an acceptable service address, other than the property, and the tenant fails to forward the notices, the payment is still due. Proof of posting will also tend to confirm service.

Comment

"Notices that expenditure has been incurred have to be served properly."

Not quite true..this notice has to be written but can in theory be on the back of a fag packet, its only the actual later demand that has to comply with umpteen rules.
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Does that mean if the agent takes some money from the trust account and you later discover it, they have up to 12 years to demand what they took?

Comment

Originally posted by paulamis View Post
            Does that mean if the agent takes some money from the trust account and you later discover it, they have up to 12 years to demand what they took?
            No. It means you have 12 years in which to require them to return it to the trust account.

Comment

Thanks all. In my case, my freeholder does not serve demands for either. I have continued to pay GR, but I cannot pay SC because I do not know how much it is. It is a proportion of the Buildings Insurance and nothing more. I will ask freeholder, as I want to know the building is insured properly.

Comment

The situation with ground rent used to be that you had to pay it, whether demanded or not, so there was a scam, whereby freeholders let it lapse and then made big charges to remedy the situation. Legislation was introduced to counter this, with the result that, unless ground rent is demanded, and that is done in a very specific way, it is not due.

For service charges, as you say, if you are not told what they are, you cannot reasonably be expected to pay them.

My original caveats where that the freeholder only needs to use the information they know about you to serve the demands. They are still valid if you hide from them.

Comment

In my case, we live in the same building, so no trouble locating me.

So, I understand then, that the freeholder has up to 12 years to retrospectively serve the SC demands. In which case, I better open a separate bank account and put money by for this.

Comment

Only to the extent that they told you that would, eventually, be billed, within the 18 month limit.

There are two limits here: there is a statute of limitation on debts relating to contracts made by deeds (12 years) and there a limit in which service charge payers must be made aware of costs for them to be recoverable through the service charge (18 months). Theoretically, they could have incurred a cost 11 years and 11 months ago, and told you about it immediately, but not invoiced you until today.

Comment

I finally get it. Thank you.

Comment

Yes well explained by leaseholder64, see my post #4, the FH only has to tell you cost incurred within 18 months (note, incurred, normally means the date he actually paid for the service/supplier but there are variations)..this has to be written but doesnt have to follow any set format.

And as mentioned he could wait nearly 12 years to actually demand it (this demand must follow specific formats), although the lease may impose other date deadlines, there also are cases where courts/FTT impose the 6 years deadline, either coz its service charges reserved as rent or they were just plain wrong.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Block Management Bill
                          Landlord1206
                          Hello all, I hope you can advise me on this legality issue.
                          A Block Management company [we can call BM] took over from the local Residents Committee who had been looking after the residence for all owners in Jan 2017.

There had been many issues caused by the previous Residents Committee...
                          20-02-2018, 12:17 PM
                        • Reply to Block Management Bill
                          leaseholder64
                          Can you confirm that you are in England or Wales, as some things don't add up in the terminology you are using.

If you are, your BM company is a managing agent, however your previous one seems to have been a residents' management company, and it appears that got struck off. As it wouldn't...
                          20-02-2018, 14:58 PM
                          Landlord1206
                          Thanks again. Sorry to not make it clear.
                          We [the property owners of each apartment] are the freeholders. We own the land.

I cannot remember the timescale, how long after the expense was made that we were notified, but probably notified inside 18 months, yes.

We simply...
                          20-02-2018, 14:37 PM
                        • Airbnb leasehold
                          Jchal
                          hi all
                          I have a question t regarding this.
                          I recently bought a flat (2017) and I would like to list it for a month as i will be away.
                          The flat is a leasehold, the company that the previous owner has signed the lease with has been dissolved in 2010. I have something like 901 years lease...
                          20-02-2018, 02:13 AM
                        • Reply to Airbnb leasehold
                          leaseholder64
                          The best thing is to buy the freehold back from the Crown.
                          20-02-2018, 14:27 PM
                          Jchal
                          So as you say the best thing to do is to buy the lease and make it free hold and my investment will be secured. Thank you all for your time....
                          20-02-2018, 14:20 PM
                          leaseholder64
                          I'm still not clear that the BM company was capable of being appointed, and who your freeholder is.

Where you notified of the expenditure within 18 months of its being incurred? If not that part of the service charge is invalid. Also, if the invoices cannot be provided, the FTT would probably...
                          20-02-2018, 14:18 PM
                          Landlord1206
                          What I really wish BM to provide is proof this money was actually spent maintaining the block [before they took over]. Proof/evidence/receipts etc. Maybe they should not have started trying to recover these funds as not totally their concern when starting their new role.

Nobody is able...
                          20-02-2018, 13:59 PM
                          leaseholder64
                          The Crown won't enforce the lease, but other leaseholders may have to buy the freehold back from the Crown to be able to sell, or re-mortgage their flats. It is also rather difficult to insure the buildings, so you may lose your investment if there is a fire. When they have the freehold back, they...
                          20-02-2018, 13:44 PM
                          leaseholder64
                          If your freehold company had been struck off, you could not have appointed anyone to do anything.

It seems that X is actually the good guy from the money point of view, although he may have used the service charge for purposes not allowed by the lease, and certainly shouldn't have allowed...
                          20-02-2018, 13:36 PM
                        Working...
                        X