Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of lease help

Happy new year to you all.

Mine hasn't started so well, unfortunately.

2years ago we converted a large flat into two smaller flats. Assuming we'd obtained the correct permission from the freeholder.
    Fast forward 8 months, they'd been completed and signed off with all their correct certificates etc... and we have a buyer. The buyers solicitor had requested the lease pack, which is where we'd discovered we hadn't actually had the freeholders permission. Fast forward another year and two lost buyers, we've been found in breach of lease.
    We'd received a letter from our freeholders solicitor in September 2017 explaining the breach and what our steps forward were to be. In essence we'd agreed to the breach and agreed to pay all costs and a premium to the freeholder. In return they would draw up the new leases and all would be well.
    They'd allowed us until December 2017 to pay and agreed after the sale of one of the flats we could pay them due to the sheer cost of their 'premium'. We'd found another buyer, who was a cash buyer and could move swiftly.
    They were aware of this and also the December deadline they'd set and said they were working on the new deeds, they had all the information they needed to complete the deeds and we'd been in contact with their solicitors regularly to 'push' them along. All their solicitors had told us were that the freeholders were drawing up the leases. Our solicitor wrote to them beginning of Dec to notify them of the deadline to pay and they'd said they would move it.
    Fast forward to now January 2018 they still have not drawn the leases up, they haven't confirmed the movement of the deadline either. Our buyer has pulled out (who could blame her) even though we'd reduced the sales price by 15% and offered to pay for her storage costs.
    Our solicitor has told us that as we were in breach there is nothing we can do and they can't push or force the freeholders..she also said she'd not dealt with this kind of issue and doesn't know any one who had...
    I find it difficult to believe it's a rare case and wondered if anyone has any insight, knowledge or advice..

thank you

My advice?

Get all your paperwork in order before you do any building in future.

Comment

Thank you for your sound advice for the future. Do you have anything helpful for the situation I find myself in now?

Comment

Be very grateful that freeholder is even playing ball as much as they are. They could have required you to reinstate everything back as it was to allow you to sell on.

Comment

I am grateful, and also grateful they're allowing us to sell one first before we pay them. Just wondered what we could do or are allowed to do to hurry up the process so that they receive their money and we can move on.

Comment

I am not sure if this would be acceptable in legal protocol. However my experience is that with most of life's problems is the answer lies in respectful and clear communication. Is it possible for you to speak directly with the freeholder. On the basis it would be better for both of you to settle the issue as quickly as possible with the minimum going to the legal profession.

Comment

I would love to be able to handle it this way, however..... As soon as we were in breach of lease, our management company..(who we believe are the freeholders) stopped sending bills. We fell into arrears as they hadn't issued our management bills to be paid..(and won't tell us the outstanding amounts). This has then led them to 'not be able to deal with us' as were in arrears. Our only communication port is through our solicitor, then theirs to the freeholder.
              I've no idea how to contact them directly.

Comment

Sounds like their position is that you are not in arrears because you don't have a lease! They are setting up the conditions to allow them to forfeit the lease. The courts are unlikely to actually forfeit the lease as long as you do your best to rectify the breach. Setting up to forfeit the lease typically makes it easier to recover enforcement costs from you, and that is probably the only reason they are doing it.

Also, did you get building control consent? I assume splitting the flat would remove all the grand fathering, and require you to bring the flats up to current standards?

Did you get planning permission? A change of use from one to two flats will require that, I believe.

Have you registered the new flat for council tax (and had the remaining one revalued)?

Comment

Thank you, they haven't asked us to rectify the breach, they've asked that we pay a premium for retrospective permission. Theyd sent us a letter from their solicitor asking that we accept were in breach, asking that we pay all costs, and asking that we pay their premium. We've accepted all these conditions on the understanding that they'll receive payment when the first flat is sold. They agreed and then started to draw up the new leases I order to allow us to proceed with the sale.. It's just taken 5 months so far and we've lost three buyers..

We obtained all the correct permissions before works started and we were of the understanding that the freeholder had given us permission too. But all we'd done was paid and applied for permission, just had never got a reply either way. Which wasn't discovered until the solicitor requested the leases. They've been registered and revalued too.

Comment

Has anyone experienced this from a freeholder?

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                      Sounds like their position is that you are not in arrears because you don't have a lease! They are setting up the conditions to allow them to forfeit the lease. The courts are unlikely to actually forfeit the lease as long as you do your best to rectify the breach. Setting up to forfeit the lease typically makes it easier to recover enforcement costs from you, and that is probably the only reason they are doing it.

Also, did you get building control consent? I assume splitting the flat would remove all the grand fathering, and require you to bring the flats up to current standards?

Did you get planning permission? A change of use from one to two flats will require that, I believe.

Have you registered the new flat for council tax (and had the remaining one revalued)?
                      Yes I agree..but dont let this worry you..if they havnt sent bills then you dont owe anything...although this is minor compared to the main issue here. But I doubt they could actually forfeit the lease IF an agreement was made to rectify it as you have done (but Id get legal clarification on this point).

The FH really should inform you you are in breach and ask you to rectify (and pay costs), I cant see any logic in him doing nothing.
                      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellifluous View Post
                        Has anyone experienced this from a freeholder?
                        There are a few similar threads where LHs are waiting on FHs for various things and its holding up a sale but Im afraid I dont really know what pressure can be bought to bear on the FH..at first glance, it looks like none.
                        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Thank you, our solicitor says there's nothing we can do and there isn't a governing body over freeholders who can tell them what their timeframe is for certain things. It's very frustrating and costing heaps of money. Does anyone know if this sale falls through..are we allowed to rent the property?

Comment

If you need permission to sub-let, I predict that requests for permission will go without reply.

Most leases require that you do not sub-let in part, so you would need to rent both flats to the the same person, and they would not be able to split them.

Given that they could theoretically forfeit the lease, sub-letting may not be advisable, even if within the terms of the lease.

Comment

Under the leasehold system , the property belongs to the freeholder and the leaseholder is only a long term rental tenant.

The leaseholder as tenant does not own the property and has no legal right to divide the flat into 2 separate units and sell off.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leaseholder/freeholder relationships
                                Emilycarter
                                Hi

Can a freeholder insist that a Leaseholder contacts the Managing Agent only with matters relating to the property?. We have a Leaseholder who insists on copying us into all communications, (via our personal email addresses and not the freeholder email address) and if the Managing...
                                20-07-2018, 21:15 PM
                              • Reply to Leaseholder/freeholder relationships
                                Emilycarter
                                Thank you for your responses. So far there have been no rewards! Just thousands spent on legal fees in getting another Leaseholder to reinstate their flat to a single dwelling and stop letting a room to a family of 5! Our MA always responds within a day, we just feel that the Leaseholder in question...
                                21-07-2018, 13:30 PM
                              • 1st Service Demand
                                Seaes56
                                I would like to send out a service charge demand to my neighbours. This is the first time they will have been asked to pay anything for about 30 years. This is a property I inherited which was in a bad state of repair. I am freeholder and the other leaseholder. My neighbours are quite set in their ways...
                                19-07-2018, 19:57 PM
                              • Reply to 1st Service Demand
                                leaseholder64
                                Having lots of items that come to exactly the section 20 limit looks very suspicious to me. In particular, I think it might be difficult to argue that communal lighting and garden lighting do not fall under the same section 20 job. That's on a good day. If the tribunal members got out of bed on the...
                                21-07-2018, 11:54 AM
                                leaseholder64
                                The ground rent demand must be a separate document, because there is a very specific format for it, without which the demand is void.

Each ground rent year must be demanded separately, as each demand will contain a different date on which the payment was due according to the lease.
                                21-07-2018, 11:38 AM
                                Gordon999
                                I would issue separate demand for annual ground rent because the payment goes to a bank account under freeholder's name. The demand will show the name of freeholder and the address for serving legal notices.

The service charge payment should go to separate bank account for holding service...
                                21-07-2018, 10:28 AM
                                andydd
                                Also some of the things you list sound like improvements as opposed to maintenence...
                                21-07-2018, 09:40 AM
                                andydd
                                Seems OK. .whether you can ask for work started but not completed depends on the wording of the leases (s) and whether or not you have incurred an actual costs..be aware that some older leases don't contain any provision for collecting monies in advance and that you must pay for everything and be reimbursed...
                                21-07-2018, 09:38 AM
                                andydd
                                Good question. Ultimately the LH relationship is with you and I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent him contacting you.
                                21-07-2018, 09:34 AM
                                leaseholder64
                                I had trouble parsing the question. I wasn't sure if only referred to the managing agent, or only referred to the type of problem.

In the former case, in this forum, AST tenants are often advised to bypass the letting agent, so I don't see why that should not also be true for the long...
                                21-07-2018, 09:34 AM
                              Working...
                              X