Landlord imposed Parcking Enforcement Co

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord imposed Parcking Enforcement Co

The Landlord contracted a Parking Enforcement Company to patrol our Secure Car Park. The Parking Co has demanded we each buy a Permit to Park and dishes out 'fines" if we do not have a Permit, they are then very forceful in chasing fines, even using Debt Collection Agencies.

There is no requirement in the Lease for a Permit, but the Landlord relies on a Clause in the Lease which states "Landlord can impose rules for use of the Car Park".

As the Landlord (via the Parking Co) is demanding Money can this be described as a Variable Service Charge?

If the Fine and other charges do not contain the usual explanatory documents that accompany a Service Charge what legislation has been broken?

Will be watching this with interest as I am in a very similar situation.

We took the Freeholder to LVT (as was) who found that there was no provision within the lease to extract parking charges from residents, so it was not reasonable behaviour by the FH, and all charges were disallowed. This approach may be negated by your FH's clause to be able to 'impose rules' but worth bearing in mind if the lease isn't explicit about the right to extract parking charges.

I'm also investigating the 'change of use' from residential to commercial with our local planning dept - if the change from one to the other requires planning permission, and that planning permission was not sought or granted, that may be another angle to approach it from. EDIT: But probably only if your FH has opened the space up to non-residents.

Comment

Whilst I'm not certain that the permit fee is a service charge (although it does seem likely), the fines are not. They may will be administration charges, which require different formal paperwork.

The permit will also be more of an administration charge, if you only have to buy it if you want to use the parking.

Comment

Why don't the leaseholders get together and buy the freehold and get rid of the parking company.

Comment

My Lease states

- Allocated Car Parking Space - the car parking space (if any) shown edged red on the Plan denoted Car Parking Plan

- the exclusive right to park a private motor car or motor cycle on an Allocated Car Parking Space allocated by clause 1 .2 (if any) together with the right to drive over such part of the car park and Accessways as are required to gain access to and egress from the space

- comply with such regulations as may be reasonably issued by the Management Company from time to time relating to the use and management of the Estate

How is it reasonable to impose charges for using my Demised Property?
          Secure floor to ceiling gates stop anyone else parking in our car park.
          Could they impose charges for using my Lounge?

If the charges are Administration Charges, what documentation should accompany the demand? All we got were Parking Notices in a little yellow bag.
          Last edited by Magnus; 10-01-2018, 10:30 AM. Reason: Edited for bad formatting

Comment

The parking space seems to be an easement, not a demise.

My guess is that you would have to go to the FTT for certainty, but there is a good chance they might rule in your favour.

The notice for administration charges is in https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...arges-england/

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leaseholder/freeholder relationships
              Emilycarter
              Hi

Can a freeholder insist that a Leaseholder contacts the Managing Agent only with matters relating to the property?. We have a Leaseholder who insists on copying us into all communications, (via our personal email addresses and not the freeholder email address) and if the Managing...
              20-07-2018, 21:15 PM
            • Reply to Leaseholder/freeholder relationships
              Emilycarter
              Thank you for your responses. So far there have been no rewards! Just thousands spent on legal fees in getting another Leaseholder to reinstate their flat to a single dwelling and stop letting a room to a family of 5! Our MA always responds within a day, we just feel that the Leaseholder in question...
              21-07-2018, 13:30 PM
            • 1st Service Demand
              Seaes56
              I would like to send out a service charge demand to my neighbours. This is the first time they will have been asked to pay anything for about 30 years. This is a property I inherited which was in a bad state of repair. I am freeholder and the other leaseholder. My neighbours are quite set in their ways...
              19-07-2018, 19:57 PM
            • Reply to 1st Service Demand
              leaseholder64
              Having lots of items that come to exactly the section 20 limit looks very suspicious to me. In particular, I think it might be difficult to argue that communal lighting and garden lighting do not fall under the same section 20 job. That's on a good day. If the tribunal members got out of bed on the...
              21-07-2018, 11:54 AM
              leaseholder64
              The ground rent demand must be a separate document, because there is a very specific format for it, without which the demand is void.

Each ground rent year must be demanded separately, as each demand will contain a different date on which the payment was due according to the lease.
              21-07-2018, 11:38 AM
              Gordon999
              I would issue separate demand for annual ground rent because the payment goes to a bank account under freeholder's name. The demand will show the name of freeholder and the address for serving legal notices.

The service charge payment should go to separate bank account for holding service...
              21-07-2018, 10:28 AM
              andydd
              Also some of the things you list sound like improvements as opposed to maintenence...
              21-07-2018, 09:40 AM
              andydd
              Seems OK. .whether you can ask for work started but not completed depends on the wording of the leases (s) and whether or not you have incurred an actual costs..be aware that some older leases don't contain any provision for collecting monies in advance and that you must pay for everything and be reimbursed...
              21-07-2018, 09:38 AM
              andydd
              Good question. Ultimately the LH relationship is with you and I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent him contacting you.
              21-07-2018, 09:34 AM
              leaseholder64
              I had trouble parsing the question. I wasn't sure if only referred to the managing agent, or only referred to the type of problem.

In the former case, in this forum, AST tenants are often advised to bypass the letting agent, so I don't see why that should not also be true for the long...
              21-07-2018, 09:34 AM
            Working...
            X