Retain and Maintain - discuss

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retain and Maintain - discuss

In my ongoing nightmare, the latest wind up is to charge leaseholders to maintain the retained garden, to which we have no rights (we are talking hundreds each here).

I thought the rule was, if FH retains he maintains.
    Leaseholders maintain what is demised to them
    Everybody pays for shared stuff like walls.
    Communal areas are paid for by those who use them.

At this rate they will expect me to pay to refit their shop.

That is not the rule(s) at all

What does the lease say.

Communal areas are not "paid by those who use them"
    Leaseholders do not necessarily pay for what is demised to them
    Freeholders do not have to maintain parts to which no-one other than they have access

Lease is silent on garden maintenance, but has a wooly clause to cover anything not covered elsewhere.

We are in the crazy situation where the FH leases the shop and garden to business, and the leaseholders are supposed to fund most of the cost of looking after the business premises.

Then apply to the FTT for a determination.

Are you under a "long residential 99 years lease" or lease under a "commercial building lease".

The long lease for a residential flat should have some clauses about contribution to annual service charge for maintenance of the communal areas and what % is contributed by your flat...

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            Then apply to the FTT for a determination.
            Exactly. If the LH has no use over the areas in question then even if lease is vague this is bound to sway the FTT to determine you dont have to pay.

The first post here may sound like common sense but its not how contract law operates, the lease is king BUT we havnt seen it.
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Latest Activity

• Help!! Freeholder asking for £20k for roof repairs!!
              Hi all,

I have received a bill for an estimate of £20k for roof repairs.
              This is a leasehold property of 4 flats. I own 2.

I have an online portal for this property and I received an alert this morning. I went to have a look and they are trying to ask me for £7500 towards...
              14-03-2018, 18:15 PM
            • Reply to Help!! Freeholder asking for £20k for roof repairs!!
              Email is not effective for your situation. You and the other leaseholders should make an appointment to see the local MP for Southend East ( James Duddridge? ) and discuss your entire problem with the freeholder company and managing agent . I don't know if your building address is inside his constituency...
              17-03-2018, 23:42 PM
            • Freehold Purchase
              I have a leasehold flat value say £500K and wish to purchase the freehold. Term remaining is105 yr of a 125 yr lease. Ground rent: 5 yr left at £150 pa - then 25yr at £300 - 25yr at £600 - 25yr at £1200 and final 25yr at £2400. Would any member help me with a suitable formula for calculating both...
              17-03-2018, 11:03 AM
            • Reply to Freehold Purchase
              I take it that it is a statutory lease extension which will cancel out your ground rent that you are referring to as you cannot buy the freehold of a leasehold flat. Try the ready reckoner on My Leasehold. It does not account for a rising ground rent though:...
              How much is your lease extension going to cost? For a fast, simple way to find out what it might be worth - try our new lease extension calculator.
              17-03-2018, 13:12 PM
            • Right To Manage
              Roger carter

We are 2 flats 50% of the building and intend to get the right to manage as the freeholder is nightmarish.

how hard is this to do? And do we definitely need solicitors for this or can it be done by ourselves ?

thank you.
              16-03-2018, 10:54 AM
            • Reply to Right To Manage
              You can download the free guide to RTM procedure from

Its best if all 4 leaseholders participate in the setting up of RTM.

If you want to manage the building yourself, I suggest you buy a copy of the "RICS Residential Management Code" or you...
              17-03-2018, 09:16 AM
            • Reply to Right To Manage
              I think you mean terrible freeholder not terrible leaseholder and no, I do not believe that everyone is against right to manage. I think that they are just trying to point out that sometimes RTM is not the answer as it is not as easy to run your block as you might think. Even if you appoint a top flight...
              17-03-2018, 08:26 AM
            • Why is the employed managing agent chairing the RMC AGM?
              Hi all,

I'm seeking views on why the employed managing agent is chairing our RMC AGM?

Also is this not a conflict of interest if leaseholders feel they are paying over the top management fees and not receiving value for money. Difficult to put forward a resolution to remove...
              15-03-2018, 21:08 PM
            • Reply to Why is the employed managing agent chairing the RMC AGM?
              leaseholder64 Thanks again for your input and I have appreciated you looking into the validity of the managing agents' actions.

On a closing note I do really miss the input that MrSoffit made to this forum. Sadly missed!...
              16-03-2018, 22:58 PM
            • Reply to Why is the employed managing agent chairing the RMC AGM?
              The "!" was supposed to indicate that the "supposed" might not reflect the truth. However the statement basically explains why managing agents get allowed into such positions.

They only have the authority given to them by the board. As I am not party to how the board...
              16-03-2018, 22:08 PM