Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold garage with expired lease referenced on freehold title deed

Hi,

I purchased a garage 4 years ago and have the free hold title for the property.

I have moved to another area and no longer need the garage for my car and as such i have attempted to sell it.

In doing so i have found that the garage also has a lease attached to it. Howerver, the lease was for 30 years and expired on 2010. I am not the owner of the lease title.

The person wanting to buy the garage will not do so until the lease title reference has been removed from the freehold title. i.e. they want me to ensure that the leasehold can not get renewed on the property.

I sent an NC1 form to thd land registery with the expectation that they will remove the leasehold as it has expired.

They have responded with:
    Please either: (a) certify that neither the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 nor the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 applies to the lease dated 12 June 1981; or (b) state the particular statutory provisions in accordance with which the lease has been determined.

I have no idea what they are asking (i looked at thd tenant act and there is lots of detail that isnt easy to read)

Does anybody know what they are actually asking please.

You need to get a solicitor to certify to Land Registry the 30 years lease has expired and the rights to occupy have not been transferred to another party..

You have occupied the garage for last 4 years and hold the freehold title. .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Share of freehold disputes
      Outnumbered
      Hello,
      I own the 1/4 share of freehold of a house, we are 4 flats in total. We arrange meetings on an adhoc basis when we feel there are issues to discuss, and we have email conversations about fixing things etc.
      At our last meeting things got heated and I felt ganged up upon by the 3 other...
      18-02-2019, 20:50 PM
    • Reply to Share of freehold disputes
      Brooks15
      Hi everyone, I hope that I have managed to click on the relevant button for a new post. Question..... I live in a period property split into two flats. I own the Freehold of the building. When I purchased the property I inherited a management company that was dormant and consisted as just the management...
      20-02-2019, 11:22 AM
    • Section 20 works notification - help needed as leaseholder
      ricoeliso
      I am a leaseholder in a block of flats in London. I have recently received a postal letter from our Managing Agent regarding Section 20 works being carried out on our building. This letter appears to be a Notice of Estimates, and references a previous letter, which i presume was a Notice of Intention...
      20-02-2019, 07:18 AM
    • Reply to Section 20 works notification - help needed as leaseholder
      leaseholder64
      Surveyor type fees are generally quoted as a percentage of the contract price, not as set sums of money. I would expect the Health and Safety (CDM) element to be about 3-5%.

I suspect your S20 fees are actually two things, The larger part will be the project management fees for specifying...
      20-02-2019, 09:55 AM
    • Homeless living in flats hallways
      RosieB
      Hello,

My first time here - I'm lucky I've managed 8 years of land-lording without serious issue! Until now...

My tenanted flat is on the 2nd floor of a block. There are 3 blocks in total on the estate. In the past 2 to 3 weeks my tenants have reported homeless people sleeping,...
      18-02-2019, 13:57 PM
    • Reply to Homeless living in flats hallways
      boletus
      There are thousands of blocks of flats in the UK that do not have a fire brigade lock override.

Honestly, which is the higher risk, homeless people living in the communal hallways or a lock that can be overcome by a firefighter in 2 seconds?

(Incidentally, I've done similar...
      20-02-2019, 09:45 AM
      ricoeliso
      thank your detail response. The lease is from 2007 - not sure about referenced form of communication, though I find it strange that they communicate all other correspondence (notifications, fee payment requests, updates and newsletters) via email, but choose to notify this by letter only.
      20-02-2019, 09:33 AM
      leaseholder64
      Any form of communication allowed by the lease is going to be acceptable. I'd actually suggest that paper delivery is the gold standard. Is the lease recent enough to actually allow for electronic communications as a valid form of notice? How would you deal with a formal notice from the council, e.g....
      20-02-2019, 09:25 AM
    • Reply to Homeless living in flats hallways
      leaseholder64
      Safety legislation is not prescriptive in the way that some people would like it to be. You are not going to find legislation that is more specific than providing adequate means for fire fighting.
      20-02-2019, 08:52 AM
    • Ground Rent increase - allowed or not?
      scotty905
      Hi all, any help/advice much appreciated.

Situation - Our freeholder has sent out this years ground rent charge with a 50% increase, prior to creating a RTM company we had constant issues with being charged large commissions on everything. With that in mind i requested that they show me...
      19-02-2019, 18:41 PM
    Working...
    X