S20 Initial Notice Time Limit?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S20 Initial Notice Time Limit?

How long is the First S20 Notice valid?

Was sent an S20 Notice in 2010 for works (3 large jobs) and for various reasons around insurance nothing was done about Works. In 2012 the Landlord demanded £3,000 for up front payment for the Works but hasn't been able to specify what the Works are due to some of the Works may be covered by insurance. Fast forward to today and the Insurance isn't paying out and LL wants upfront payment quoting previous S20 Notice.

One of the jobs is straight forward and the bill will be about £500 from each Apartment!

However the major works (£100K+) will take planning and the materials will take at least six months from order to supply (I work in that field). The LL hasn't made any contact with Contractors as they expected the Insurance to do everything. The Works require various Local Authority involvement and the LL hasn't contacted them yet.

I asked for information about the works and got an email saying Legal Proceedings have started as I am in arrears. All I can see is LL wants cash flow and has previously raided the Reserve Fund to cover Tenants Arrears (I have an email from LL admitting this).

Do I just have to suck it up and pay? Or when the LL Solicitor contacts me I can quote something to get them to issue a new S20 Initial Notice?

Your freeholder seems to have gone into not responding mode, which suggests that they intend to go through the motions of forfeiting your lease. If they respond, they acknowledge the tenancy exists and lose that option.

If you are not paying because you can't pay, there is not a lot that can help you. If you are not paying because you think the charge is unreasonable, I would suggest you should pre-empt the legal action by starting an FTT case. It will cost you £100, although if other people think the same, the fee could end up split amongst them. (if they do take you to court and your defence is that the service charge was unreasonable, they will redirect to the FTT, anyway.)

If you are in the industry and know the lead times, you presumably have some idea of the costs, so you should know what is reasonable. Even if the freeholder messes up section 20, the current case law is that they may well be able to recover the cost of doing the work using the cheapest competent contractor that you can find.

I'm interested in the cross subsidy between payers and non-payers. Although it hasn't been tested, the way I read my lease, there is a reserve fund for each leaseholder, not a single pool, even if there is a single bank account. If that interpretation applies to you and is correct, they need to get the worst payer to cover all their share of the costs, rather than cross-subsidising.

I'm not aware of any time limit, although I would expect a restart if there was a significant change in the requirement.

As you refer to Contractors, you are not talking about an existing long term agreement, so they will need to do the second stage consultation, anyway.

You can contact The Lease Advisory Service https://www.lease-advice.org/ or check their site. if I remember correctly there are time limits to the response to notices etc, however I don't think there is an expiry or time limit on the S20 itself.

Latest Activity

• Why is the employed managing agent chairing the RMC AGM?
        Hi all,

I'm seeking views on why the employed managing agent is chairing our RMC AGM?

Also is this not a conflict of interest if leaseholders feel they are paying over the top management fees and not receiving value for money. Difficult to put forward a resolution to remove...
        15-03-2018, 21:08 PM
      • Reply to Why is the employed managing agent chairing the RMC AGM?
        Gordon999 Thank you for the comment and advice however I am with Leaseholder64 here, where I had expected my director nomination to be voted on at the AGM.

I have already complained that the only duly appointed director has in the last 2 years registered another leaseholder as a director,...
        18-03-2018, 14:51 PM
      • "Arbitration clause" - conflict of interest other LH is also FH
        I am a LH of one of two flats within a house conversion. The LH of the other flat within the property simultaneously owns the freehold on the building. There is a substantial amount of structural damage to the property demised to me which I believe has been caused by the consistent negligence to maintenance...
        18-03-2018, 11:06 AM
      • Reply to "Arbitration clause" - conflict of interest other LH is also FH
        Andrew thank you for your helpful response.

My solicitor believes that the FHs solicitor has not yet understood the significance of the arbitration clause and hence has suggested mediation again (which is what we have been doing, to very little effect)

As mentioned...
        18-03-2018, 12:37 PM
      • Freehold Purchase
        I have a leasehold flat value say £500K and wish to purchase the freehold. Term remaining is105 yr of a 125 yr lease. Ground rent: 5 yr left at £150 pa - then 25yr at £300 - 25yr at £600 - 25yr at £1200 and final 25yr at £2400. Would any member help me with a suitable formula for calculating both...
        17-03-2018, 11:03 AM
      • Reply to Freehold Purchase
        There are just THREE variables in the valuation.Firstly the capitalisation rate which can be between 5.75% to 6.25% Secondly a deferment rate which for a £0.5 m flat will for almost certain be 5% and finally the value of your flat which you advise is £0.5m

If the income is discounted...
        18-03-2018, 12:22 PM
      • Reply to Why is the employed managing agent chairing the RMC AGM?
        Companies House only get sent appointment forms, i.e. after the board or a general meeting have accepted the nomination, not nominations. If paper filings are allowed for the company, one of the other directors can approve the AP01 form and submit it themselves, bypassing the company secretary, although...
        18-03-2018, 12:11 PM
        And I cannot see the relevance of the "tree" issue - regardless of the cause the FH is bound to repair (presuming the disrepair are things the lease says he is obliged to repair) -- and you are obliged to pay your share of those repairs (presumably 50%).

Is it the case that you...
        18-03-2018, 11:53 AM
        The lease presumably does not state that you completely forfeit your rights to sue or seek FTT determination under all circumstances -- and if it did that would not be tenable in a lease.

Arbitration and mediation (which you also mention) are very different things.

If I were...
        18-03-2018, 11:46 AM
      • Reply to Freehold Purchase
        if the leaseholders contribute to a share in the company which will own the freehold title, then after completion of the purchase , every participating leaseholder should be able to extend their existing lease to 999 years at peppercorn ground rent at no cost for the extension . ....
        18-03-2018, 11:06 AM