Shared Freehold - LGF Flat Leasehold owner (incl garden and off street parking)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Freehold - LGF Flat Leasehold owner (incl garden and off street parking)

Hi All, Hope this is the right place to post this query. We live in the Lower ground floor flat of a three storey terraced building that we share the freehold for and own the leasehold for the LGF Flat and rear garden with off street parking (which we have always considered to develop as it has been undertaken on the majority of the properties along our street). We have a covenant in the freehold that stated that we are to provide access to the rear of the property for the flats above for maintenance and cleaning.

We have obtained planning permission to build a mews house at the bottom of the garden (new property will still provide access to the rear of the original property and be our main access). The flat above us has gotten a Valuation Survey conducted at our expense which has stated that we need to pay the other Freehold owners 50K..... The surveyor has stated that the Stokes V Cambridge convention applies here. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

The land at the bottom of the garden belongs to the "freeholder" so you have to pay the other 2 joint freeholders for purchasing the land site . You should check if your local council requires any development contribution.

Comment

PAs above,
      Remember, your flat and garden are "Leased", and leased from the freeholder.

The freeholder comprises 3 leaseholders.
      You 3 "OWN" the building and land collectively.

You cannot just steal that land to make a vast profit for yourself.
      The rear garden and flat, although demised to you, is leased to you, and not yours to do with as you please.

If you wish to make a profit by building a house on the 3 owners property, then those other 2 must share in your profit, which is usually 50%, so we assume the house would be worth £100,000 to £ 150,000.

You must also get their permission to do so.

Planning permission does not over ride the lease nor the freehold entitlement.

Comment

Whilst planning permission doesn't override, in submitting the planning application you have to sign a statement that you have notified the freeholder of the application, so, if they didn't object to the application, there is a good chance that they will give consent, although they will still probably want their cut.

Comment

Agreed. You have to share the spoils with the other two leaseholders as you are joint freehold owners of the land.

Comment

And who issues the Lease for the new house ?

As you can't really remove land from the current shared boundary foot print, and have it totally exclusive and independent from the rest of the property on a single freehold plot ?. ( Well , you can, but it's involved and messy for the 3 freeholders )

If you do succeed in removing the driveway to the house and the legal footprint of the new house from current land registry, then clear boundaries, walls or fences should be erected.
            You also need clear cut deeds as to how that new house is maintained, how the access drive is maintained that runs down the side of current building, and if current 3 leaseholders have rights of access "to pass and re-pass, with or without motor vehicles"
            And if 4 people pass over the new / amended drive, then all 4 must maintain it.

Will the new drains tap into existing drainage underground that the current 3 pay to maintain and dig up and replace when required. If so, legal documentation to pay for that maintenance too is required.

You need to employ a solicitor to iron out all these, and more.

If current remaining freeholders refuse you permission, then you have not got 100% of freeholder permission to proceed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Boundary error on freehold title
              UKLandlord1000
              Hi,

I have an unusual problem with the boundaries of my freehold. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I have owned a leasehold flat for 19 years (ground floor in a typical 2 storey terrace house). Some years ago, I bought the freehold jointly with the leaseholder upstairs...
              19-09-2017, 14:11 PM
            • Reply to Boundary error on freehold title
              Lorimer
              Turn the issue on its head. Had the boundary line been incorrectly drawn in your favour, would you gift it back to your next door neighbour?
              19-09-2017, 16:23 PM
            • Reply to Boundary error on freehold title
              AndrewDod
              Adverse possession would I think apply here (horrible law that basically sanctions theft -- but be that as it may).
              19-09-2017, 14:57 PM
            • lease extension - deed of variation
              leelee758
              Hi, I owned a share of freehold and needs to extend my flat lease.
              I have a reply from the management that the solicitor has confirmed a deed of variation has entered for my flat.
              What does that mean? and what are the steps to take after that on my part?

any help is appreciated....
              19-09-2017, 12:49 PM
            • Reply to lease extension - deed of variation
              MrSoffit
              No point asking the 'management' in leasehold about lease extensions as that is between you and the freeholder or whoever is your head lessor. Even if the management understood they have no role, and it is just as likely they haven't a clue.

Your description "the solicitor has confirmed...
              19-09-2017, 14:07 PM
            • Reply to lease extension - deed of variation
              leaseholder64
              You need to go back to them and get an explanation.

Deeds of variation can be used to extend a lease, but they will generally have to be signed by you, and signed by a witness, to should have been in no doubt that there was a deed of variation, unless they are saying that a previous leaseholder...
              19-09-2017, 13:29 PM
            • Exterior wall painting question.
              JulieLevere
              Hi all

We have recently got a letter from my freeholder saying they want to paint the exterior wall of our flat (we live in a converted house and own the ground floor).

They want any quotations by 30th Sept. My father in law has renovated houses and would paint it instead of...
              19-09-2017, 08:55 AM
            • Reply to Exterior wall painting question.
              leaseholder64
              Are you sure they are not trying to enforce a repairing obligation on you.

Otherwise, they would need a section 20 notice, and that notice would ask if you wanted to nominate a contractor; it would not ask for quotes.

Any contractor nominated would need to be able to work to...
              19-09-2017, 09:38 AM
            • Unreliable Evidence
              Porgie
              I've posted this on the Residential Forum as it mainly refers to this area of Housing Law. However, there was a very interesting programme aired on Radio 4 on Saturday 16th at 22.15. The programme is called Unreliable Evidence and is a debate between 'experts' all about Housing Law.
              19-09-2017, 09:12 AM
            • Freeholder takes common space
              Chiswick_2017
              Hello,

My Freeholder who also owns the two commercial units at the bottom of the block of flats has taken part of the common space to extend his office. This has removed what used to be the refuse area and the bins are now placed below the balconies of the apartments which is most undesirable....
              18-09-2017, 09:12 AM
            Working...
            X